Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

I have read a lot of predictions regarding the Ashes themselves but what about the one-off 20/20 match?

Personally I am predicting a poor England batting performance but another Gough hattrick saves us!

Banned
    Even with a Gough hattrick England will struggle to hold the Aus batsmen.

I dont see how you could win this type of cricket if you dont bat well. England will have to bat very well to beat Aus.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    So much depends on Pietersen and/or Flintoff coming off big-time for England to stand much of a chance - either can be every bit as destructive as Churchy. Could be a lot of fun if they bat together for 5 or 6 overs.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Predicted England batting order:

1. Trescothick
    2. Flintoff
    3. Pietersen
    4. Strauss
    5. Collingwood
    6. G Jones
    7. Vaughan
    8. Batty
    9. Gough
    10. S Jones
    11. Harmison

Don't think Vaughan will bat very high - he's never played the format before, and this isn't the ideal introduction to it for him. Collingwood's ability to improvise will come in handy, as will Geraint Jones'. The top three listed there could get us off to an exciting start! I was fortunate enough to witness Trescothick's only Twenty20 innings myself, 56 off 29 balls, reaching 50 after 5.4 overs in an opening partnership of 117 in 9.2 overs with Keith Dutch - much fun.

I don't really think I need to say much about numbers 2 and 3, do I? I definitely think England will want them to bat close together - the moment KP walks out to join Freddie, it would be human nature to be a little worried, even for an Aussie. The moment they start clicking, the runs start flowing and the sixes start flying, it would be human nature to run for cover.

Australia's line-up introduces itself - the only advantages England will have are greater experience of the format in some players (notably Strauss and Pietersen), and more bowling options - taking the pace off the ball seems to help in this game. Vaughan is probably the more innovative of the two captains, too, even if his own fielding tends to let him down most of the time when he does innovate - he just needs to learn that when he invents a new fielding position to try and get a wicket, he shouldn't put himself there!

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Predicted England batting order:

1. Trescothick
    2. Flintoff
    3. Pietersen
    4. Strauss
    5. Collingwood
    6. G Jones
    7. Vaughan
    8. Batty
    9. Gough
    10. S Jones
    11. Harmison

Don't think Vaughan will bat very high - he's never played the format before, and this isn't the ideal introduction to it for him. Collingwood's ability to improvise will come in handy, as will Geraint Jones'. The top three listed there could get us off to an exciting start! I was fortunate enough to witness Trescothick's only Twenty20 innings myself, 56 off 29 balls, reaching 50 after 5.4 overs in an opening partnership of 117 in 9.2 overs with Keith Dutch - much fun.

I don't really think I need to say much about numbers 2 and 3, do I? I definitely think England will want them to bat close together - the moment KP walks out to join Freddie, it would be human nature to be a little worried, even for an Aussie. The moment they start clicking, the runs start flowing and the sixes start flying, it would be human nature to run for cover.

Australia's line-up introduces itself - the only advantages England will have are greater experience of the format in some players (notably Strauss and Pietersen), and more bowling options - taking the pace off the ball seems to help in this game. Vaughan is probably the more innovative of the two captains, too, even if his own fielding tends to let him down most of the time when he does innovate - he just needs to learn that when he invents a new fielding position to try and get a wicket, he shouldn't put himself there!
    i would think Kabir Ali might get the nod over Batty

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    They happen to be the two areas in which Australia absolutely dominate England.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    i would think Kabir Ali might get the nod over Batty
    Even though slow bowlers are proven to be a very good option in Twenty20?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    They happen to be the two areas in which Australia absolutely dominate England.
    A monkey could captain Australia and they'd still win.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    A monkey could captain Australia and they'd still win.
    Still doesnt take away the fact that Ponting is a superb leader that has led Australia with distinction.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Australia have shown some really impressive form already on the tour. It will be good to see how the teams mix it up in the first Twenty20. Should be an interesting game. I'll tip Australia.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

highest score - K Pietersen
    if Aus bat first total over 140
    if Eng bat first total over 120
    most economical bowler - B Lee
    Code:
    CW CRICKET - May 2009
    FC
    M      I     NO    Runs      Avg      Ct      50s      100s      HS
    83    157   8      4237    28.44      79      22         4       169*

O     W    Avg   SR
    45    18   18.7  27

List - A
    M      I      Runs      Avg      Ct    50s    100s      HS
    179   174    5828      37.84     67    48     3        121

OD
    M      I      Runs      Avg    Ct      50s      100s      HS    SR
    27    24     716      35.80    15      6         0       71*   74.58

when is the match anyways, today or tomorrow?
    and can someone from England tell me what time it is now in England?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dinu23
    when is the match anyways, today or tomorrow?
    and can someone from England tell me what time it is now in England?
    Well, it's 2:30 am Australian EST, so it's 4:30 am in England. Not sure what time it would be on in Sri Lanka, but probably early in the morning like here.

edit: just checked, Sri Lanka is GMT +6, meaning it will be at 10:30 pm your time.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Anyway, the only hope I can see for England is, as other people have said, if Flintoff and Pietersen get going. Even then, Australia have Symonds and Gilchrist to match them for firepower, as well as players like Ponting and Clarke who I think are better suited to the 20/20 format than their English counterparts.

It will take a huge effort for England to win such a batting-oriented format.

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Still doesnt take away the fact that Ponting is a superb leader that has led Australia with distinction.
    Based on what?

He's not had a challenge yet at all.

But, feel free to keep on telling us how great he is and so much better than Vaughan, because I for one remember what happened last time you said that.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information