• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

simmy

International Regular
I have read a lot of predictions regarding the Ashes themselves but what about the one-off 20/20 match?

Personally I am predicting a poor England batting performance but another Gough hattrick saves us! :p

Scallywag

Banned
Even with a Gough hattrick England will struggle to hold the Aus batsmen.

I dont see how you could win this type of cricket if you dont bat well. England will have to bat very well to beat Aus.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
So much depends on Pietersen and/or Flintoff coming off big-time for England to stand much of a chance - either can be every bit as destructive as Churchy. Could be a lot of fun if they bat together for 5 or 6 overs.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Predicted England batting order:

1. Trescothick
2. Flintoff
3. Pietersen
4. Strauss
5. Collingwood
6. G Jones
7. Vaughan
8. Batty
9. Gough
10. S Jones
11. Harmison

Don't think Vaughan will bat very high - he's never played the format before, and this isn't the ideal introduction to it for him. Collingwood's ability to improvise will come in handy, as will Geraint Jones'. The top three listed there could get us off to an exciting start! I was fortunate enough to witness Trescothick's only Twenty20 innings myself, 56 off 29 balls, reaching 50 after 5.4 overs in an opening partnership of 117 in 9.2 overs with Keith Dutch - much fun.

I don't really think I need to say much about numbers 2 and 3, do I? I definitely think England will want them to bat close together - the moment KP walks out to join Freddie, it would be human nature to be a little worried, even for an Aussie. The moment they start clicking, the runs start flowing and the sixes start flying, it would be human nature to run for cover.

Australia's line-up introduces itself - the only advantages England will have are greater experience of the format in some players (notably Strauss and Pietersen), and more bowling options - taking the pace off the ball seems to help in this game. Vaughan is probably the more innovative of the two captains, too, even if his own fielding tends to let him down most of the time when he does innovate - he just needs to learn that when he invents a new fielding position to try and get a wicket, he shouldn't put himself there!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Predicted England batting order:

1. Trescothick
2. Flintoff
3. Pietersen
4. Strauss
5. Collingwood
6. G Jones
7. Vaughan
8. Batty
9. Gough
10. S Jones
11. Harmison

Don't think Vaughan will bat very high - he's never played the format before, and this isn't the ideal introduction to it for him. Collingwood's ability to improvise will come in handy, as will Geraint Jones'. The top three listed there could get us off to an exciting start! I was fortunate enough to witness Trescothick's only Twenty20 innings myself, 56 off 29 balls, reaching 50 after 5.4 overs in an opening partnership of 117 in 9.2 overs with Keith Dutch - much fun.

I don't really think I need to say much about numbers 2 and 3, do I? I definitely think England will want them to bat close together - the moment KP walks out to join Freddie, it would be human nature to be a little worried, even for an Aussie. The moment they start clicking, the runs start flowing and the sixes start flying, it would be human nature to run for cover.

Australia's line-up introduces itself - the only advantages England will have are greater experience of the format in some players (notably Strauss and Pietersen), and more bowling options - taking the pace off the ball seems to help in this game. Vaughan is probably the more innovative of the two captains, too, even if his own fielding tends to let him down most of the time when he does innovate - he just needs to learn that when he invents a new fielding position to try and get a wicket, he shouldn't put himself there!
i would think Kabir Ali might get the nod over Batty

Scallywag

Banned
Barney Rubble said:
They happen to be the two areas in which Australia absolutely dominate England.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia have shown some really impressive form already on the tour. It will be good to see how the teams mix it up in the first Twenty20. Should be an interesting game. I'll tip Australia.

dinu23

International Debutant
highest score - K Pietersen
if Aus bat first total over 140
if Eng bat first total over 120
most economical bowler - B Lee

dinu23

International Debutant
when is the match anyways, today or tomorrow?
and can someone from England tell me what time it is now in England?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
when is the match anyways, today or tomorrow?
and can someone from England tell me what time it is now in England?
Well, it's 2:30 am Australian EST, so it's 4:30 am in England. Not sure what time it would be on in Sri Lanka, but probably early in the morning like here.

edit: just checked, Sri Lanka is GMT +6, meaning it will be at 10:30 pm your time.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, the only hope I can see for England is, as other people have said, if Flintoff and Pietersen get going. Even then, Australia have Symonds and Gilchrist to match them for firepower, as well as players like Ponting and Clarke who I think are better suited to the 20/20 format than their English counterparts.

It will take a huge effort for England to win such a batting-oriented format.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scallywag said:
Still doesnt take away the fact that Ponting is a superb leader that has led Australia with distinction.
Based on what?

He's not had a challenge yet at all.

But, feel free to keep on telling us how great he is and so much better than Vaughan, because I for one remember what happened last time you said that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Based on what?

He's not had a challenge yet at all.

But, feel free to keep on telling us how great he is and so much better than Vaughan, because I for one remember what happened last time you said that.
Yes he has. The tour of Sri Lanka, if nothing else, was a huge challenge of his captaincy skills and he came through.

I don't think he's a particularly brilliant captain, and he's not in the league of someone like Mark Taylor, but he's certainly better than most.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
just to against the crowd, ill say pietersen will be out early, for less than 10 i'd say. flintoff will make a few, though. australia to bring it home with some big help from symonds.

dinu23

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, it's 2:30 am Australian EST, so it's 4:30 am in England. Not sure what time it would be on in Sri Lanka, but probably early in the morning like here.

edit: just checked, Sri Lanka is GMT +6, meaning it will be at 10:30 pm your time.
yeah. will it be given live on Cricinfo?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scallywag said:
They happen to be the two areas in which Australia absolutely dominate England.
I didn't say Vaughan was the better of the two captains, only the more innovative.

And as regards bowling options IN THE TWO TEAMS TO PLAY ON MONDAY, England have Gough, Jones, Harmison, Batty, Flintoff, Collingwood, Trescothick, Vaughan in that team, all of whom bowl on a fairly regular basis in ODIs. Australia have McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds. That's it, unless they're going to use Martyn, Hussey or Ponting, but they'd really be scraping the barrel there.