• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Scallywag said:
That is why Ponting is regarded as the leading Captain in world cricket. Thats why he was selected to lead the ICC world XI. Lara and Fleming who are the next best captains in the world were very happy to have Ponting lead them in the ICC world XI because he was the best.
You're kidding me mate. The analogy of Marc's that a monkey could lead them is slightly amiss. He is a better captain than i thought he would be. He does lead by example more often than not with the bat. However a true test of a captain is getting the best out of your resources/ players. Handing Warne the ball after McGrath gets hit for a few is a hard decision i must admit.

Brian Lara is a prime example of a great player that is not suited to captaincy. Quite often the best players in a team are picked to lead by example, in expectance the rest will come naturally.

Stephen Fleming, as you claim is one of the "next best captains", is the leading captain in world cricket today and has been the clear standout since Steve Waugh. Why? He gets the best from his resources, however limited or rich they can be. He has led by example in the recent past (2003 World Cup v South Africa for example). But the key factor is that he has grown into the role from a young age to have the accumulated a wealth of captaincy experience that Ponting can only wish for. Ponting simply jumped on the horse that was leading the race, while Fleming has moved his horse from the back to near the front.

Anyone care to argue this point?

Now about the Twenty20 game.. :)

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
AndrewM said:
You're kidding me mate. The analogy of Marc's that a monkey could lead them is slightly amiss. He is a better captain than i thought he would be. He does lead by example more often than not with the bat. However a true test of a captain is getting the best out of your resources/ players. Handing Warne the ball after McGrath gets hit for a few is a hard decision i must admit.

Brian Lara is a prime example of a great player that is not suited to captaincy. Quite often the best players in a team are picked to lead by example, in expectance the rest will come naturally.

Stephen Fleming, as you claim is one of the "next best captains", is the leading captain in world cricket today and has been the clear standout since Steve Waugh. Why? He gets the best from his resources, however limited or rich they can be. He has led by example in the recent past (2003 World Cup v South Africa for example). But the key factor is that he has grown into the role from a young age to have the accumulated a wealth of captaincy experience that Ponting can only wish for. Ponting simply jumped on the horse that was leading the race, while Fleming has moved his horse from the back to near the front.

Anyone care to argue this point?

Now about the Twenty20 game.. :)
So how do you explain when both Fleming and Ponting were selected for the world ICC XI v Asian XI Ponting was given the captaincy. You dont make Ponting captain if you think Fleming is a better captain.

Furthermore Ponting has played under Waugh and Taylor who both have passed on their vast experience to Ponting. Ponting was earmarked for Australian captaincy at a very early age and has matured into the role with amazing efficiency and you can tell how well he handles the team by the response he gets from his charges.

You say "Ponting simply jumped on the horse that was leading the race". It is a well known fact the the Aus ODI team has improved in the time Ponting has been captain and you cant deny that it is harder to improve a top team than a mid range team.

You also state that "However a true test of a captain is getting the best out of your resources/ players." Ponting has consistantly achieved this and as you say the last world cup left nobody in doubt that Ponting has the ability to do this.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
How about i start a captaincy thread then? Its no use arguing it in the Australian/England Twenty20 thread, no one will know about it, we can get a variety of people's comments. If you quote your original comments about Ponting and i will do the same in the new thread. Agreed?