Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Sorry everyone - sarcastic Australians in an Ashes summer are an accident waiting to happen!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Did I ever say Australia didn't have a chance of winning? NO.
    Did I ever say Australia's bowling options were of lower quality than England's? NO.
    Did I ever say anything about the two bowling attacks other than England have MORE bowlers (numerically speaking - assuming they count the same way down your end of the world) than Australia? NO.

In fact, I said the number of bowling options was almost the only department in which England had the edge. Read what you're replying to before you get sarcastic.

And by the way, Fleming and LARA?!? The other two best captains in the world? Lara can't captain to save his life - anyone who could make WI that bad surely can't be great, just look at the recent improvements they've made since he quit (or was axed, I can't remember). Great player, terrible captain.

As regards Ponting as a captain, he has turned the best team in the world into, hmmmm, the best team in the world - what a tough challenge that must be. Vaughan, however, has turned the seventh-best team in the world, with a maximum of two world-class players, into the only team in the world capable of reasonably challenging Australia over five Tests, a team full of class players who have lost one Test in 18 months. I'd say that deserves a lot more credit than simply carrying on what was started about 15 years ago.

Ponting knew when he started that the team would still probably perform well even if he made bad decisions - a comfort zone. Vaughan took over not just at a time when the team weren't playing well, but when pressure was on him as the key run-scorer in the team. He has a far more difficult job than Ponting. Saying Ponting is the best captain in the world is like saying the manager of the Brazilian football team is the best manager in the world because of how good they are - being a good captain isn't always about success, it's about what you can do with the resources that are given to you. Vaughan has done that better than Ponting. This summer he will prove it.
    You dont like to give credit to Ponting for the excellent job he has done as captain do you.

This what you say gives England the edge.
    Vaughan 12 wickets @ 43
    Trescothic 4 wickets @ 54
    Collingwood 28 wickets @ 43
    Batty 4 wickets @ 63
    Jones 3 wickets @ 25

East London/West Essex whichever you like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Predicted England batting order:

1. Trescothick
    2. Flintoff
    3. Pietersen
    4. Strauss
    5. Collingwood
    6. G Jones
    7. Vaughan
    8. Batty
    9. Gough
    10. S Jones
    11. Harmison

!
    I think think this is the team that is most likely to play if i follow the BBC

1.Trescothick
    2.G. Jones
    3.Pietersen
    4.Flintoff
    5.Strauss
    6.Vaughan
    7.Collingwood -Although BBC believe it will be Solanki
    8.Batty
    9.S. Jones
    10.Gough
    11.Harmison

And Aus will probably be

1.Gilchrist
    2.Hayden is in form, so i think will take this spot ahead of Katich [who has a great 20/20 record]
    3.Ponting
    4.Symonds
    5.Clarke - Decent return last year for Hants
    6.Hussey
    7.????????? Maybe Hogg at 7 then Gillespie at 8 ?????
    8.Hogg
    9.Lee
    10.Kasprowicz
    11.McGrath

Aus look much stronger than England as England's major firepower is in the top order. if the get out cheaply, game over. Aus could even play Martyn or Katich at 7 just as a safety net. even Watson, for an allrounder option

If Solanki does play, i do hope i am pleasantly suprised and deemed wrong
    I hereby declare myself founder and leader of JAAS-James Anderson Appreciation Society

my favourite upcoming players
    AN Cook[Essex], IR Bell[Waricks]

Proud Member of Kevin Pietesen's Appreciation Society.

Glenn McGrath - 30 deliveries - 2 runs - 5 wickets

Bowling O M R W
    Harmison 12.3 8 12 7

Two most destructive pieces of bowling i have ever witnessed

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    hehehe nice one scallywag
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedKing
    And Aus will probably be

1.Gilchrist
    2.Hayden is in form, so i think will take this spot ahead of Katich [who has a great 20/20 record]
    3.Ponting
    4.Symonds
    5.Clarke - Decent return last year for Hants
    6.Hussey
    7.????????? Maybe Hogg at 7 then Gillespie at 8 ?????
    8.Hogg
    9.Lee
    10.Kasprowicz
    11.McGrath
    Err, why the hell would they drop Martyn? He's been the most consistent Australian batsman by far over the last 12 months...

The Australian lineup will be selected from the following 12:
    Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Symonds
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Watson
    Hogg
    Lee
    Gillespie
    McGrath

I don't think Katich or Kasprowicz will play, and among that 12 I think probably Hogg will miss out, so Australia will be relying on Watson, Symonds and Clarke for 8 overs.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Err, why the hell would they drop Martyn? He's been the most consistent Australian batsman by far over the last 12 months...

The Australian lineup will be selected from the following 12:
    Hayden
    Gilchrist
    Ponting
    Martyn
    Symonds
    Clarke
    Hussey
    Watson
    Hogg
    Lee
    Gillespie
    McGrath

I don't think Katich or Kasprowicz will play, and among that 12 I think probably Hogg will miss out, so Australia will be relying on Watson, Symonds and Clarke for 8 overs.
    i just don't see martyn as a twenty20 player, all out bashing just doesn't suit his style, and kasper bowled quite well in the new zealand twenty20, didnt he?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    i just don't see martyn as a twenty20 player, all out bashing just doesn't suit his style, and kasper bowled quite well in the new zealand twenty20, didnt he?
    You don't have to be an "all out basher" though. Anyway, Martyn is perfectly capable of hitting 70 off 50 or whatever and has done so before, which is an excellent innings in 20/20. If they drop him, I'll eat my hat. I'm not so certain about Kasprowicz, but I doubt he will be picked either. The only questionable spot is who will play at 8, and it will be either Hogg or Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    You dont like to give credit to Ponting for the excellent job he has done as captain do you.
    No, I don't. I'm English, he's the captain of Australia - what do you expect?

This what you say gives England the edge.
    Vaughan 12 wickets @ 43
    Trescothic 4 wickets @ 54
    Collingwood 28 wickets @ 43
    Batty 4 wickets @ 63
    Jones 3 wickets @ 25
    I didn't say it would give England the edge in the match - I said it was the only department in which England had the edge. They have more people who could reasonably be called upon in an international game to bowl - I never said anything about how good any of them were. I happen to think Gareth Batty is an utter pile of rubbish, incidentally. I think Australia's bowling department is FAR stronger - it's just that if Flintoff and Pietersen tonk McGrath, Lee and Gillespie all over the place, Ponting will have less bowlers to turn to than Vaughan will if Harmison, Gough, and Jones get carted. Seeing as Flintoff and Pietersen are almost certainly England's best chance of winning this game, the bowlers Australia turn to if this happens could have a bearing on the result - THAT'S the way in which England have the edge.

For the record, and to end the perception of me as a blinkered Englishman that's probably emerging by now, I think Australia will win.

My initial prediction was obviously a joke I guess.

England will have so much resting on Pieterson and Flintoff. One of these will have to bat for well over 10 overs.

As much I would love it... I just can't see England winning... ironically I think they have a better chance in the first test match.

Quote Originally Posted by simmy
    ironically I think they have a better chance in the first test match.
    I don't. A test match is the highest test of cricketing skill - over 5 days, the cream tends to rise to the top, and one good individual performance is far less likely to carry you to a win. In an ODI it's much easier to fluke a win, and it's even easier than that in 20/20. If Flintoff or Pietersen has a good game or someone likes Jones or Harmison picks up a few early wickets, England could certainly get over the line.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Which would be extreme stupidity.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

I don't. A test match is the highest test of cricketing skill - over 5 days, the cream tends to rise to the top, and one good individual performance is far less likely to carry you to a win. In an ODI it's much easier to fluke a win, and it's even easier than that in 20/20. If Flintoff or Pietersen has a good game or someone likes Jones or Harmison picks up a few early wickets, England could certainly get over the line.

I was just going on recent form to be honest. England's one day game (despite their ICC Trophy success) is nothing on their test match form at present.

Really looking forward to this game now. Just 3 and bit hours now!

I don't go in for this everything depending on Pietersen and Flintoff, England will probably have 7 decent batters, all of them except possibly Vaughan (tho he likes to smash the Aussies about) can score quickly given the chance.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

I certainly wouldn't say everything depends on them, either - but you do get the feeling that without a big innings from someone (with those two being the most likely), or an inspired 4 overs from one of the bowlers, England will find it incredibly hard. Having said that, England do seem to be a much-improved fielding side recently (witness Harmison's diving catch in the gully against Bangladesh) so that will count in their favour - whilst they are still not of the same quality as Australia, they've dropped very few recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    I don't go in for this everything depending on Pietersen and Flintoff, England will probably have 7 decent batters, all of them except possibly Vaughan (tho he likes to smash the Aussies about) can score quickly given the chance.
    Ive seen quite a bit of Twenty20 cricket over the last season. It enrages me how batsmen go in and try to slap it around from the first ball, getting out in the process. Despite the over restraints you have to play yourself in! Flintoff is important simply because he does this and then explodes at the end! Pieterson's too arrogant to respect the Aussies!

I'm scared of Symonds! I saw him play at Kent and he was devastating! Plus with the ball... DAMN HIM NOT PLAYING FOR ENGLAND! He was born in BIRMINGHAM!!!!!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information