Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: England v. Australia Twenty20 Predictions

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Based on what?

He's not had a challenge yet at all.

But, feel free to keep on telling us how great he is and so much better than Vaughan, because I for one remember what happened last time you said that.
    Yes he has. The tour of Sri Lanka, if nothing else, was a huge challenge of his captaincy skills and he came through.

I don't think he's a particularly brilliant captain, and he's not in the league of someone like Mark Taylor, but he's certainly better than most.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    just to against the crowd, ill say pietersen will be out early, for less than 10 i'd say. flintoff will make a few, though. australia to bring it home with some big help from symonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

A monkey could captain Australia and they'd still win.
    or chris cairns's mother, apparently

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Well, it's 2:30 am Australian EST, so it's 4:30 am in England. Not sure what time it would be on in Sri Lanka, but probably early in the morning like here.

edit: just checked, Sri Lanka is GMT +6, meaning it will be at 10:30 pm your time.
    yeah. will it be given live on Cricinfo?

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    They happen to be the two areas in which Australia absolutely dominate England.
    I didn't say Vaughan was the better of the two captains, only the more innovative.

And as regards bowling options IN THE TWO TEAMS TO PLAY ON MONDAY, England have Gough, Jones, Harmison, Batty, Flintoff, Collingwood, Trescothick, Vaughan in that team, all of whom bowl on a fairly regular basis in ODIs. Australia have McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds. That's it, unless they're going to use Martyn, Hussey or Ponting, but they'd really be scraping the barrel there.

Quote Originally Posted by dinu23
    yeah. will it be given live on Cricinfo?
    Well I'd say so, as it's an international match. Isn't it on TV there? Are you going to get the Ashes?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    I didn't say Vaughan was the better of the two captains, only the more innovative.

And as regards bowling options IN THE TWO TEAMS TO PLAY ON MONDAY, England have Gough, Jones, Harmison, Batty, Flintoff, Collingwood, Trescothick, Vaughan in that team, all of whom bowl on a fairly regular basis in ODIs. Australia have McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds. That's it, unless they're going to use Martyn, Hussey or Ponting, but they'd really be scraping the barrel there.
    but the aussie bowlers are better than the english ones, so they won't really need to use a lot of different bowlers

If you're going to include Trescothick, Hussey deserves consideration as well. He's not a bad medium pacer really. More useful than Ponting by a long way.

edit: oh, and so far as Trescothick bowling "quite regularly" in ODIs is concerned, he averages about one over every three matches. Vaughan only averages 1.5, but at least he's had a decent amount of success. I'd say England have 7 bowling options which are actually reasonably likely to be used to Australia's 6.
    Last edited by FaaipDeOiad; 13-06-2005 at 03:19 AM.

Banned
    Based on what?

He's not had a challenge yet at all.

But, feel free to keep on telling us how great he is and so much better than Vaughan, because I for one remember what happened last time you said that.
    Based on his excellent decisions on the field and his uncanny knack of bringing out the best in every player. Based on his knowlege of cricket and how to attack different players.

Based on his ability to lead the team when the chips are down.

based on his skills in keeping players fresh and bringing them into the game when the time is right.

Based on his record as a batsman that delivers what he asks his players to do.

That is why Ponting is regarded as the leading Captain in world cricket. Thats why he was selected to lead the ICC world XI. Lara and Fleming who are the next best captains in the world were very happy to have Ponting lead them in the ICC world XI because he was the best.

Its only you marc that thinks a monkey could lead a team to victory over England.

Banned

McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Hogg, Clarke, Symonds

Yeah I see your point, Australia dont have a chance of winning.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Lara and Fleming who are the next best captains in the world were very happy to have Ponting lead them in the ICC world XI because he was the best.
    Lara? May be one of the best batsmen in the world, but never a great captain. He isn't even captain of the West Indies anymore...

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Did I ever say Australia didn't have a chance of winning? NO.
    Did I ever say Australia's bowling options were of lower quality than England's? NO.
    Did I ever say anything about the two bowling attacks other than England have MORE bowlers (numerically speaking - assuming they count the same way down your end of the world) than Australia? NO.

In fact, I said the number of bowling options was almost the only department in which England had the edge. Read what you're replying to before you get sarcastic.

And by the way, Fleming and LARA?!? The other two best captains in the world? Lara can't captain to save his life - anyone who could make WI that bad surely can't be great, just look at the recent improvements they've made since he quit (or was axed, I can't remember). Great player, terrible captain.

As regards Ponting as a captain, he has turned the best team in the world into, hmmmm, the best team in the world - what a tough challenge that must be. Vaughan, however, has turned the seventh-best team in the world, with a maximum of two world-class players, into the only team in the world capable of reasonably challenging Australia over five Tests, a team full of class players who have lost one Test in 18 months. I'd say that deserves a lot more credit than simply carrying on what was started about 15 years ago.

Ponting knew when he started that the team would still probably perform well even if he made bad decisions - a comfort zone. Vaughan took over not just at a time when the team weren't playing well, but when pressure was on him as the key run-scorer in the team. He has a far more difficult job than Ponting. Saying Ponting is the best captain in the world is like saying the manager of the Brazilian football team is the best manager in the world because of how good they are - being a good captain isn't always about success, it's about what you can do with the resources that are given to you. Vaughan has done that better than Ponting. This summer he will prove it.

Im tippin' an Aussie win. Ponting will go bananas.

East London/West Essex whichever you like
    I expect the team that bat first to win. Although if some one twisted my arm, i would say Aus will win.
    I hereby declare myself founder and leader of JAAS-James Anderson Appreciation Society

my favourite upcoming players
    AN Cook[Essex], IR Bell[Waricks]

Proud Member of Kevin Pietesen's Appreciation Society.

Glenn McGrath - 30 deliveries - 2 runs - 5 wickets

Bowling O M R W
    Harmison 12.3 8 12 7

Two most destructive pieces of bowling i have ever witnessed

Did I ever say Australia didn't have a chance of winning? NO.
    Did I ever say Australia's bowling options were of lower quality than England's? NO.
    Did I ever say anything about the two bowling attacks other than England have MORE bowlers (numerically speaking - assuming they count the same way down your end of the world) than Australia? NO.

In fact, I said the number of bowling options was almost the only department in which England had the edge. Read what you're replying to before you get sarcastic.

And by the way, Fleming and LARA?!? The other two best captains in the world? Lara can't captain to save his life - anyone who could make WI that bad surely can't be great, just look at the recent improvements they've made since he quit (or was axed, I can't remember). Great player, terrible captain.

As regards Ponting as a captain, he has turned the best team in the world into, hmmmm, the best team in the world - what a tough challenge that must be. Vaughan, however, has turned the seventh-best team in the world, with a maximum of two world-class players, into the only team in the world capable of reasonably challenging Australia over five Tests, a team full of class players who have lost one Test in 18 months. I'd say that deserves a lot more credit than simply carrying on what was started about 15 years ago.

Ponting knew when he started that the team would still probably perform well even if he made bad decisions - a comfort zone. Vaughan took over not just at a time when the team weren't playing well, but when pressure was on him as the key run-scorer in the team. He has a far more difficult job than Ponting. Saying Ponting is the best captain in the world is like saying the manager of the Brazilian football team is the best manager in the world because of how good they are - being a good captain isn't always about success, it's about what you can do with the resources that are given to you. Vaughan has done that better than Ponting. This summer he will prove it.
    woah chill, mate

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information