• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Good pace from Watson there in his first over, looks to have a decent slower ball too.
Too obvious a change. 20mph is a massive difference in pace. Much like when Lee bowled his one out of the back of the hand, it gives the batsman too long a time to adjust. It's still effective in getting the batsman thinking, and more often than not it suprises, but it won't take as many wickets as a slower ball that isn't as significantly slower than their normal delivery.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
The speed gun may not lie, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Watson may well be clocked at that speed, but you'll rarely see him being played in any more hurried a manner than McGrath or Gillespie, especially the way that he has such a skiddy action.

And as I talk, up comes Gilchrist to the stumps.
Gilly has stood up to McGarth, doesn't mean much.

Remember Colly charged Watson an over or two ago.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Samuel_Vimes said:
Argh. One of the best ODIs ever, or Germany - Norway at the women's football final. Evil decisions :(
I think you know what the honourable members of CRICKETweb are going to tell you to do...... :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Argh. One of the best ODIs ever, or Germany - Norway at the women's football final. Evil decisions :(
I would watch women football, depending on the quality of the eye candy.

PY

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Germany are playing....
What are you saying about our German friends? :p

This looks like it could be a real tight game as Duckworth Lewis has the teams dead level.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Too obvious a change. 20mph is a massive difference in pace. Much like when Lee bowled his one out of the back of the hand, it gives the batsman too long a time to adjust. It's still effective in getting the batsman thinking, and more often than not it suprises, but it won't take as many wickets as a slower ball that isn't as significantly slower than their normal delivery.
If it's pitched right up, then it can go above the eye line - then it could be a superb weapon. Short, it's rubbish.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Gilly has stood up to McGarth, doesn't mean much.

Remember Colly charged Watson an over or two ago.
But his willingness to do it after one charging says something. It's relatively easier to stand up to Watson than McGrath.

Much of that wold have to do with his skiddy nature, too I guess, and makes the zone at which Gilly will take the knacker smaller, and therefore easier for him.

PY

International Coach
And on another note, 400 posts in this thread today since the start of the game.

Woe betide anyone who wants to catch up on what's been said.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
But his willingness to do it after one charging says something. It's relatively easier to stand up to Watson than McGrath.

Much of that wold have to do with his skiddy nature, too I guess, and makes the zone at which Gilly will take the knacker smaller, and therefore easier for him.
He is back for Vaughan, i think that just proves my point