• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
dont think we'll see more than a few overs from Warne, he doesn't want to give the England batsmen too much of a look at him

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting that Flintoff batted ahead of Pietersen in this game, personally I'd rather have Pietersen batting ahead of Flintoff - Flintoff is too dense to realise he has to play himself in a lot of the time (similar to Geraint, but nowhere near as bad fortunately) and gets himself out lobbing the ball to the infield.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff is a world class number 5 ODI batsman, IMO he should stay there and Pietersen should move to 4 with Strauss opening

Barney Rubble

International Coach
superkingdave said:
Flintoff is a world class number 5 ODI batsman, IMO he should stay there and Pietersen should move to 4 with Strauss opening
That's my view - with Collingwood at 6 and Jones (if he's going to stay in the team - I'd rather Prior came in, personally) at no7.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Interesting that Flintoff batted ahead of Pietersen in this game, personally I'd rather have Pietersen batting ahead of Flintoff - Flintoff is too dense to realise he has to play himself in a lot of the time (similar to Geraint, but nowhere near as bad fortunately) and gets himself out lobbing the ball to the infield.
The same Flintoff who now bats very maturely in ODIs but then explodes at the end of the innings?

And look at just about every one of his tons.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
The same Flintoff who now bats very maturely in ODIs but then explodes at the end of the innings?

And look at just about every one of his tons.
He gets himself out early on just as often as he 'bats very maturely'. That's why Pietersen, who I can't remember chipping the ball to the infield early on yet, did so well here and in SA.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
7 down, and the same old same old story, with only 2 players contributing to an England oneday total.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The rubbish some people come out with ...
Listening to the BBC commentary, (I think it's him) Mark Nicholas is going on about how our batting tails off after number 7 and we need one more allrounder in the side. No Mark, what we need is more than 3 of our top 7 to make double figures. It would be interesting to look at their averages over the last 12 months' ODI's.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
what are you listening to it on? the feed from the BBC website is Radio Solent and couple of locals are commentating

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
what are you listening to it on? the feed from the BBC website is Radio Solent and couple of locals are commentating
Oh, OK. I just thought one of them sounds very like Nicholas.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
He gets himself out early on just as often as he 'bats very maturely'. That's why Pietersen, who I can't remember chipping the ball to the infield early on yet, did so well here and in SA.
Hmm, Flintoff since the Pakistan 2003 series (when he started to bat more maturely)

27 innings - 1092 @ 57.47, 3 tons, 7 fifties, dismissed in single figures 6 times.

Don't think there's anything to back that comment up.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Maddy must've used up all his strike rate in the Twenty20 match, 0* off 14 so far...