• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket and Baseball

steds

Hall of Fame Member
cricket player said:
And That has to be The stupidest respond ever.
I'd make sure the grammar in your sentence was correct before calling someone else's response stupid :sleep:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
I'd make sure the grammar in your sentence was correct before calling someone else's response stupid :sleep:
To be fair, Craig did write 'dumbiest' when referring to CP's post.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hehe. Reminds me of a time that I was captaining and gave the opposition's opening batsmen a spray for walking out to bat before the Umpires and the Bowling side came onto the field - obviously bad cricket etiquite. Umpires had a good chuckle with me...

Then I find out after the game that my opening batsmen had done the same thing after lunch, made me look darn stupid.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
this a old one but anyways...i think cricket's batting is harder to master than baseball, having played both sports myself. Like there's a lot of different kinds of pitches in baseball, there's different kinds of deliveries in cricket. In baseball the main thing is the timing and reading the pitch, while in cricket its timing, and shot selection and how the ball is going to react to the pitch and what kind of delivery it is. Also in cricket there's no strike zone so you have to deal with both bouncers and yorkers. Bowling and pitching is different but do have similarities, in cricket and baseball you have a variety of stuff that you bowl/pitch but in cricket the pitch is a factor and baseball has the speed though but only about 2 miles per our more in the fastest...i would have to give the upper hand to cricket- its more complex while baseball is more simple.

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have been watching baseball for many years. And now I can say that I know some cricket, too.

For me, it is very hard to say which is the most difficult. Both have their difficulties. And both need great practice and training. You are right: Also in cricket there's no strike zone so you have to deal with both bouncers and yorkers. In baseball the main thing is the timing and reading the pitch. The problem is: trying to read a 160-km ball which is pitched from 20 meters from you is VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult. Don't forget that baseball is played with a round bat, which makes the contact much more difficult.

Both sports are fascinating, where psychology plays a great role. Just imagine how difficult is in cricket to bat for hours under the sun. the level of concentration must be tremendous! And if you have a bad shot, you're out and maybe you lose! But just think of a baseball pitcher in a tight situation. In cricket, if you bowl a bad ball, OK you get hit, but that just 6 runs. If you pitch a bad ball in baseball, that can go out of the park and maybe you lose the game.

And fielding in baseball is awesome. Yes, they wear gloves, but without them it would be impossible. Just imagine: a third baseman throwing to first, trying to eliminate the runner. The ball thrown is very fast. If you didn't wear a glove, it would be impossible to catch the ball safely, and then touch the base before the runner. Turning a double play is very difficult: it seems easy, but the perfect timing between fielders needs hours and hours of practice.

Bowling and pitching is different but do have similarities, in cricket and baseball you have a variety of stuff that you bowl/pitch but in cricket the pitch is a factor and baseball has the speed though but only about 2 miles per our more in the fastest...
In cricket there is the pitch which helps you to make the effects. Trying to do that just with your arm, that's an art! And that is also why pitching is more painful and tiring than bowling.

Both cricket and baseball are wonderful games. I love both. I think it is stupid to denigrate one of them. We could spend hours saying: cricket is better because of this, this and this! or baseball is better because of that, that and that!

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I have been watching baseball for many years. And now I can say that I know some cricket, too.

For me, it is very hard to say which is the most difficult. Both have their difficulties. And both need great practice and training. You are right: Also in cricket there's no strike zone so you have to deal with both bouncers and yorkers. In baseball the main thing is the timing and reading the pitch. The problem is: trying to read a 160-km ball which is pitched from 20 meters from you is VERY VERY VERY VERY difficult. Don't forget that baseball is played with a round bat, which makes the contact much more difficult.
Yeah, I know I'm playing baseball for my high school...but its not 90 pitches that coming at me though its more like near 70 but anyways a cricket pitch is about 20 meters too.

Both sports are fascinating, where psychology plays a great role. Just imagine how difficult is in cricket to bat for hours under the sun. the level of concentration must be tremendous! And if you have a bad shot, you're out and maybe you lose! But just think of a baseball pitcher in a tight situation. In cricket, if you bowl a bad ball, OK you get hit, but that just 6 runs. If you pitch a bad ball in baseball, that can go out of the park and maybe you lose the game.
For me though, there's more think involved in cricket than baseball...which the couch/manager does in baseball while in cricket its the captain and the coach behind the scenes. Also, you get hit for 6 runs that could lose you the game the same way a grand slam could lose you a game. and bating and getting out could lose you the game the same way in both sports. so its even there. but just how much you have to think as a player while you're team's fielding.
And fielding in baseball is awesome. Yes, they wear gloves, but without them it would be impossible. Just imagine: a third baseman throwing to first, trying to eliminate the runner. The ball thrown is very fast. If you didn't wear a glove, it would be impossible to catch the ball safely, and then touch the base before the runner. Turning a double play is very difficult: it seems easy, but that takes hours and hours of practice.
But catching is harder in cricket since there's no gloves, and the players who receive the throws to run a batsmen out have to catch it with bare hands and then hit the stumps. I play 2nd base/short stop, and i did do couple of double plays and there's no double plays in cricket but like baseball there's relay throws. A catch in the air is more spectacular when its caught with bare hands than with gloves.

In cricket there is the pitch which helps you to make the effects. Trying to do that just with your arm, that's an art! And that is also why pitching is more painful and tiring than bowling.
It doesn't really help the bowlers...it helps more the batsmen... Pitching is so tiring because you do it for about 120 pitches while bowlers do it for 60 bowls(odi) but at the same time in cricket you have more effects than baseball which is because somewhat for the pitch. But if you give the pitch to the bowlers for helping than remember it makes it even harder for batsmen and if your giving the batsmen the pitch than it makes it harder for the bowlers...plus bowling at 100m per hour would be harder when the ball hits the ground than pitching at 100m per hour when the balls in the air.
Both cricket and baseball are wonderful games. I love both. I think it is stupid to denigrate one of them.
I play baseball, because there's no cricket at school

Last edited:

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
But catching is harder in cricket since there's no gloves, and the players who receive the throws to run a batsmen out have to catch it with bare hands and then hit the stumps. A catch in the air is more spectacular when its caught with bare hands than with gloves.
Catching is harder. Playing w/o gloves is terrible, even because the ball is HARD. However, throwing to fielders in baseball is MUCH HARDER than in cricket. When a third baseman throws to first, he definitely uses all his power. If the first baseman didn't wear a glove, he would not be able to catch the ball and touch the base before the runner.

But I want to write this again... We could spend hours saying: cricket is better because of this, this and this! or baseball is better because of that, that and that! Both sports developed their characteristics because of the different rules. So, enjoy both sports, like I do!!!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Catching is harder. Playing w/o gloves is terrible, even because the ball is HARD. However, throwing to fielders in baseball is MUCH HARDER than in cricket. When a third baseman throws to first, he definitely uses all his power. If the first baseman didn't wear a glove, he would not be able to catch the ball and touch the base before the runner.

But I want to write this again... We could spend hours saying: cricket is better because of this, this and this! or baseball is better because of that, that and that! Both sports developed their characteristics because of the different rules. So, enjoy both sports, like I do!!!
yeah i know its hard to catch the ball from those hard throws, but when you catch the bat that blasts at you from the bat its even hard... both has its plus but at the end of the day though i would say cricket has more because its so complex and baseball more simple but thats one of its plus though

Josh

International Regular
I had baseball exposure before I ever had any conscious cricket exposure. To me, cricket seems a much more subtle, technical and mental game. Concentration levels in baseball do not come close to those of cricket, due to the fact that baseballers are changing innings maybe every 20 minutes AT MOST, whereas with (test) cricket, innings changes are a lot more unpredictable and could happen half way through the day, towards the end of the day, or even on the next day.

As with batting, I feel each are equally as hard in different ways. I saw the mention of the 4-seamed ball used in baseball causing more erratic and sudden movements through the air, along with more trickery on the pitcher's behalf, obviously. So batting in both games can be quite difficult, baseball combatting the sheer speed of a pitch along with any subtle movements the ball may make through the air, but cricket combatting balls that bounce off an unpredictable surface; move both off the surface and through the air, and the greater amount of fielders, dismissal modes, and wider, expansive arenas on which the game is played.

As said, bowling and pitching cannot be compared. Fielding; no brainer - baseballers have gloves, cricketers do not. Would much rather be fielding in baseball. I've seen many broken fingers occur from attempts to catch skied moon-balls in cricket.

Josh

International Regular

An interesting point regarding infielding. I do believe throwing is probably a lot more of a key aspect of baseball and the inability to throw well means you really aren't going to make it. Especially in infielding as you're constantly asked to hurl a ball full-pelt across the way.

Also I commend people that field shortstop. That position is dangerous.