• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket and Baseball

Deja moo

International Captain
honestbharani said:
lol...Read what Swervy said... I am not sure how objective we can be, given that we all are cricket fans.
That doesnt stop the Yankees from dismissing the better game of the two time and again :D

Craig

World Traveller
There isn't anything wrong with baseball.

I mean unless you have sat down and watched it or played it, you can't really bitch or moan.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Stamina probably matters more in cricket and making quick decisions probably count more in baseball.
Exactly, you'll never see a baseball batter making an innings for 9 hours, or fielders and pitchers going for 10 hours.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Things I'd like to see No 1.....

A baseball player coming out to bat at cricket, hitting the ball into the covers and then charging off in the direction of square leg before diving past the umpire.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Stamina probably matters more in cricket and making quick decisions probably count more in baseball.
You've got that right - same with American Football.

I watched a game of that last year and this guy was sitting on the bench with an oxygen mask on. The commentator was almost blowing chunks with enthusiasm, saying something like "... what a great run - he made four yards. That takes him up to 800 this season."

Sheesh - I did twelve miles on Thursday - and I only needed five pints of Guinness to recover. Oxygen? Pah!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
That doesnt stop the Yankees from dismissing the better game of the two time and again :D
Now then....

You won't find me insulting our American cousins.

Changing the subject, I heard recently that there are approximately 300,000 children in the world who are currently taking part in armed conflicts. For instance, the Rwandan rebels had almost 20,000 children, some as young as 8, in their army. Luckily, the other 280,000 armed children are safely locked up in American schools.

/All right, I heard it a long time ago.
//A very long time ago.
///Jim Bowen said it.
////Great, smashing, super.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

your last four posts have been awesome, le.

Craig said:
There isn't anything wrong with baseball.

I mean unless you have sat down and watched it or played it, you can't really bitch or moan.
i sat down and watched a school match a few months ago. didn't see the ball hit once in about 30-45 minutes.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

your last four posts have been awesome, le.

i sat down and watched a school match a few months ago. didn't see the ball hit once in about 30-45 minutes.

during which time you ate thirteen hot dogs, four buckets of popcorn and a pretzel. To wash it down, you had a Diet Coke because you are watching your waistline.

You have to because you can't watch your feet any more.

Incidentally, that's why Americans drive everywhere. They don't realise they have legs any more.

/I'll be here all week

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
lmfao.... your a funny bloke Eddie, keep it goin mate :D

As for the baseball v cricket discussion, I must say that I am not a baseball fan.
I find that there are too many stoppages in play (and even more in 'gridiron') and the 'batter' is too restricted
ie. He can't (to my knowledge) charge at a ball
Decide to block (bunt) and remain where he is -without being forced to run.
Can't hit the ball behind him (without being called for a 'foul ball')
Doesnt have a partner who chase the score together (which is probably a good thing if you had Inzy at the other end)

Baseball does have an unpredictable eliment -given the shape of the bat, the fielders may be more athletic than in cricket, however in cricket, the fieldsmen arent equiped with gloves (except for the wicketkeeper)

There is something special about Test Cricket... attending a day of Test Cricket at Lords (the home of cricket) is a must do, before one dies... It's hard to put into words the atmosphere... The history, the picnics on the nursery, the MCC Members, the brass band etc.

Those not content with that may prefer the "Hill" at Adelaide Oval, with its scoreboard (built 1911), and the Morton Bay fig trees as a backdrop, guzzling lager while watching the cricket and cheering while the females walk past and basically having a great time!

Does baseball have the likes of this? The traditions?, the atmosphere? From what I have seen on TV they are just stadiums selling pretzels or hotdogs while spectators watch the game then go home.

I am not trying to sound arrogent or narrowminded in what I have said and would be keen to hear if anything like this does happen in baseball (re crowd traditions).

Stefano

School Boy/Girl Captain
BARMY_LAD said:
As for the baseball v cricket discussion, I must say that I am not a baseball fan.
I find that there are too many stoppages in play (and even more in 'gridiron') and the 'batter' is too restricted
ie. He can't (to my knowledge) charge at a ball
Decide to block (bunt) and remain where he is -without being forced to run.
Can't hit the ball behind him (without being called for a 'foul ball')
Doesnt have a partner who chase the score together (which is probably a good thing if you had Inzy at the other end)
Well, there are runners on the bases, who can really create trouble to the pitcher...

BARMY_LAD said:
Does baseball have the likes of this? The traditions?, the atmosphere? From what I have seen on TV they are just stadiums selling pretzels or hotdogs while spectators watch the game then go home.
In the USA the history of Baseball is so long: Major League Baseball started in 1871 and the first Modern World Series dates back to 1903. And because of this long history there are lots of traditions. For example: when the first half of the seventh inning is over, there is the so-called Seventh Inning Stretch. All fans STAND UP and sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game!". Or if we think a game situation: 2 outs, full count (3 balls, 2 strikes), runners in scoring position (2nd and / or 3rd base)... Well, you won't find a single spectator sitting...

Since I have just begun to follow cricket and I have just seen some DVDs, it is very difficult for me understand all aspects and rules of this wonderful game. The reverse is true for you...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:

during which time you ate thirteen hot dogs, four buckets of popcorn and a pretzel. To wash it down, you had a Diet Coke because you are watching your waistline.

You have to because you can't watch your feet any more.

Incidentally, that's why Americans drive everywhere. They don't realise they have legs any more.
That was on my English GCSE the other day. Summat by Bill Bryson about Americans driving everywhere (even next door!! :blink: ) and how idiotic it is

Craig

World Traveller
cricket player said:
And That has to be The stupidest respond ever.
Well I do think it is pretty immature to be slagging off baseball when I doubt you know a thing about it.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Well I do think it is pretty immature to be slagging off baseball when I doubt you know a thing about it.
He probably has some idea about baseball, given that he lives in the US. Anyway, even if it was a dumb post, it wasn't irrelevant or pointless.

Craig

World Traveller
So?

My parents and my brother live in Australia, they don't have a clue about Aussie Rules.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
So?

My parents and my brother live in Australia, they don't have a clue about Aussie Rules.
Yes, it's just as likely that he has no idea about it as well, but it wasn't irrelevant or pointless, as you said. And he did give at least two reasons for not liking baseball, even if they are probably somewhat ill-informed.