• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old Shep

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
It is with much sadness that we farewell the big man of World Cricket.
At least he's said that he will still be involved in cricket in some capacity, he's earned the respect of the players and fans alike.
Thanks for the memories 'Shep'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And quite fit that he should finish both his international and overall career in England.
Just hope that his final game as a professional Umpire might be televised on Sky.

archie mac

International Coach
BARMY_LAD said:
It is with much sadness that we farewell the big man of World Cricket.
At least he's said that he will still be involved in cricket in some capacity, he's earned the respect of the players and fans alike.
Thanks for the memories 'Shep'.
Yes good luck Shep, one of the best, does he want to go on? I think the English umpires must retire at 65?

I like your Lord Harris quote?
:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
does he want to go on? I think the English umpires must retire at 65?
Indeed they must.
Whether or not he expressly wants to go on I don't know, but from that interview with Tony Cozier I'd guess he's not too unhappy to leave now, when his reputation, unlike one of Cozier's countrymen, is still pretty much intact.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
Thanks Archie.... and right you are, it is Lord Harris's immortal words -also echoed by Sir Donald Bradman in his final statement on television ('Bradman 87 not out')-, certainly puts the hairs on end.

Another statement I like is from Douglas Jardine in his definition of cricket
"You have two sides, one's out in the field and ones in. Each man thats in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next men goes in until he's out... sometimes you get men still in and not out... When both sides have been in and out including the not outs thats the end of the game"

Great way to bamboozle those yanks who want to know what our great game is all about :D

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good bye, Shep. Hope he has a great, enjoyable and relaxed and peaceful retired life. He was a great character and while he did make his share of mistakes as an umpire, he was always friendly and even accepted his mistakes. A great sport and a good man to cool down things when they got too hot out in the field.

BTW, that Jardine quote was intellectual. :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Best wishes to Shep. Are there any English umpires on the panel now?

And it was interesting to hear him say how he was ready to give it away after the whole thing about hte no-balls that weren't called vs Pakistan, IIRC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
Best wishes to Shep. Are there any English umpires on the panel now?
Jeremy Lloyds - and watch out for him. While he's not going to be in the Harold Bird league he could easily be in the Shep\Peter Willey mould.
And it was interesting to hear him say how he was ready to give it away after the whole thing about hte no-balls that weren't called vs Pakistan, IIRC.
Indeed and an indictment that not a word came from the equally-at-fault Eddie Nicholls.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was really nice to see Lara present his autographed bat with a best wishes message to Shep. And it was nice to see Lara, who is not usually all that animated in the field, jump up just like Shep when the score was 111 or other multiples of nelson.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, indeed.
Shep, same as was the case with Harold, always seems to have been particularly well-liked in West Indies.

archie mac

International Coach
BARMY_LAD said:
Another statement I like is from Douglas Jardine in his definition of cricket
"You have two sides, one's out in the field and ones in. Each man thats in the side that's in goes out and when he's out he comes in and the next men goes in until he's out... sometimes you get men still in and not out... When both sides have been in and out including the not outs thats the end of the game"

Great way to bamboozle those yanks who want to know what our great game is all about :D
I did not know that was said by The Iron Duke, I think I seen it once on a tea towel

D.R. Jardine also said "That beautiful, beautiful game that is battle and service and sport and art".
Not sure if they are his original words or if he just liked to quote them.