• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical Question

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Brought up by T_C's comment about Australian's not tending to pick players with unorthodox actions.

If Murali were Australian and had the same career progression in terms of effectiveness, would he be selected for their side a) when his career started, b) when results weren't going so well and c) now?

My view is he'd not have got past stage b) because of the Warne factor, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Personally I think he would have had extreme difficulty getting through the early coaching phases of Australian cricket, but assuming he did he would certainly be picked currently in the same role Macgill currently is, assuming that he had a comparable level of success in Australian domestic cricket to what he has in England.

So I guess I would answer:
a) No
b) No
c) Yes

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
if he was averaging 22 in domestic cricket yeah i reakon we would have played spinners alot more, Macgill probably wouldn't have played as much

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt if Murali was Australia and survived coaching procedures well enough to make domestic cricket, we would be hearing the same thing we hear about Macgill now... "if he played for any other country, he would have played over 50 tests". ;)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Just a friendly warning that if this thread goes down the route of how 99.9% of other Murali threads have gone it shall be closed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
No doubt if Murali was Australia and survived coaching procedures well enough to make domestic cricket, we would be hearing the same thing we hear about Macgill now... "if he played for any other country, he would have played over 50 tests". ;)
And, as we all know, if MacGill had played 50 Tests he might very well be averaging in the mid-30s.
If Murali had survived Australian coaching I don't doubt him and Warne would have formed a partnership almost if not completely equal to Grimmett and O'Reilly.
And as for the effect on Australia... I shudder to think, frankly.
Murali's Sri Lankan and I think most of us are probably the best for it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not sure how people can say no to b then yes to c - if he was dropped at that point, he'd not have had the games after then which are what make him such a top bowler, and would have made him a selection now.

The other issue is with the 2 spinners, what would the Australian team look like now?

Anyone care to have a guess?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I'm not sure how people can say no to b then yes to c - if he was dropped at that point, he'd not have had the games after then which are what make him such a top bowler, and would have made him a selection now.

The other issue is with the 2 spinners, what would the Australian team look like now?

Anyone care to have a guess?
Gillespie would open the batting with Langer?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
Then Gillespie and Kasprowicz to come after them. :fear: :scared:
And a 160km/h bowler lurking in the shadows.

*is dissapointed in Australia`s depth*

dinu23

International Debutant
Richard said:
And, as we all know, if MacGill had played 50 Tests he might very well be averaging in the mid-30s.
If Murali had survived Australian coaching I don't doubt him and Warne would have formed a partnership almost if not completely equal to Grimmett and O'Reilly.
absolutely agree. I shudder to think what would become of the other teams if Murali and Warne were in the same team.