• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetical Question

Shounak

Banned
Dasa said:
Change has to start at school level... I've seen many people having been overlooked because of their background.
Interestingly, I think there are more 'Asians' (subcontinentals) in Australia per capita than in the UK.
When you say 'Asians' are you referring to just subcontinentals, or subcontinentals inclusive of further Eastern countries, such as China and Vietnam?

Australia may have more Eastern Asians per capita then England. But I strongly doubt that Australia has more subcontinentals (Indians, Sri Lankans, Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's) then England.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
What if Lara played for India?

McGrath, Gillespie, Warne and Murali to bowl at Sehwag, Sachin, Lara, Dravid and Laxman, on good test wickets like Gabba, Chennai and Melbourne and Mumbai and Eden Gardens.....

*wakes up*
No, haven't you been listening to Richard. That would be NO BETTER than watching each player compete individually against the Hicksville, Pigsknuckle High School Third XI.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
shounak said:
When you say 'Asians' are you referring to just subcontinentals, or subcontinentals inclusive of further Eastern countries, such as China and Vietnam?

Australia may have more Eastern Asians per capita then England. But I strongly doubt that Australia has more subcontinentals (Indians, Sri Lankans, Pakistani's and Bangladeshi's) then England.
No, Asians referring to India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Per capita, not raw numbers. The UK obviously have a lot more in raw numbers, but as a percentage of the population they have less.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Dasa said:
No, Asians referring to India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Per capita, not raw numbers. The UK obviously have a lot more in raw numbers, but as a percentage of the population they have less.
In the 2001 UK census, a total of 3.6% identified themselves as being of Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi ethnicity. There was no ethnicity question on the Australian 2001 census, but there was an ancestry (by parents) question, which is similar enough for this purpose. 0.83% identified their ancestry as Indian, and a further 0.75% as 'Other Southern and Central Asian', so a total of 1.58% basically. There were alot more Eastern Asians as shounak suggested (about 5.6%).

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Ok, my stats must be a bit out of date. Unless what I had was referring to Indians alone.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
But what about the 70s, and before? Maybe there were a few (I was going to mention Wilf Slack's name and somehow forgot to mention the great Gladstone No-Neck) in the late-80s but generally there haven't been a large number of black reprisentation, because of the simple fact that outside the West Indian-backgrounded clans (most of whom are based in East London, hence The Oval being a traditional West Indian-dominated ground) there's very little interest in the game down the years, it's not been part of the culture.
Which is a shame, but well - culture is a difficult thing to change.
I think that Roland Butcher was the first black test cricketer for England when he played a couple of tests in the 1980/81 WI series, so there weren't any in the 70's or before. Subsequently, Cowans sometimes played in the early-mid 1980's, as did Daffy & Small in the late 80's. The big increase was around 1990, after Dilley, Foster & Jarvis had made themselves unavailable by going to SA and the England side regularly included 2 or 3 black bowlers (quicks, natch). It then tailed off in the mid90's. My take on it was that those who came here at a young age had already taken interest in the Caribbean whereas the 2nd generation guys take up other past-times. Maybe that's oversimplifying things.

BTW another we forgot from the 1990's was Alleyne's handful of oneday appearances - possibly in Aus 1998/99.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
wpdavid said:
I think that Roland Butcher was the first black test cricketer for England when he played a couple of tests in the 1980/81 WI series, so there weren't any in the 70's or before. Subsequently, Cowans sometimes played in the early-mid 1980's, as did Daffy & Small in the late 80's. The big increase was around 1990, after Dilley, Foster & Jarvis had made themselves unavailable by going to SA and the England side regularly included 2 or 3 black bowlers (quicks, natch). It then tailed off in the mid90's. My take on it was that those who came here at a young age had already taken interest in the Caribbean whereas the 2nd generation guys take up other past-times. Maybe that's oversimplifying things.

BTW another we forgot from the 1990's was Alleyne's handful of oneday appearances - possibly in Aus 1998/99.
I think by & large that's true. Of the black quicks that came to prominence in the late 80s only Big Syd was English-born.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
Yes, Alleyne IMO could have been an England regular if he wasn't so self-depricating in constantly insisting on batting himself at six and seven for Gloucs.
Went to Australia in 1998\99, SA in 1999\2000 and actually toured in 2000\01 as well without playing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly the wrong thread, but I didnt want to make a new one.

Ive played with cricketers of Vietnamese and Chinese origin. Has anyone (probably looking at Australia here) played with or know of a cricketer of Filipino origin?

Dydl

International Debutant
Possibly the wrong thread, but I didnt want to make a new one.

Ive played with cricketers of Vietnamese and Chinese origin. Has anyone (probably looking at Australia here) played with or know of a cricketer of Filipino origin?
I know a female player who represents NSW whose mum was born in the Philippines. I think that's what you're asking about...

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Initial discussion was interesting. Irrelevant stuff about race was boring. Good idea for a thread though.

I especially liked the thought experiment of having an Aus + Murali attack bowling to an India + Lara batting lineup.

Him and Richard Chee Quee are the only players I can think of of Asian extraction to play first-class cricket even. Total disgrace. This is why if Murali were Aussie, he'd be playing grade cricket and no more and that's in addition to the high chance that his action would have been irretrievably tampered with to render him half the bowler his ability suggests.
Its not that disgraceful to pick players on ability alone, SA is the only country that I know that pick players on race and that seems to be causing lots of problems.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its not that disgraceful to pick players on ability alone, SA is the only country that I know that pick players on race and that seems to be causing lots of problems.
Not about who gets picked, it's about who gets ignored. Have seen it with my very own eyes at club level, blokes of non-anglo extraction ignored in favour of similarly credentially anglo players. Not saying selection should be mandated like it was in South Africa, though.

Not about who gets picked, it's about who gets ignored. Have seen it with my very own eyes at club level, blokes of non-anglo extraction ignored in favour of similarly credentially anglo players. Not saying selection should be mandated like it was in South Africa, though.
****, I have played with and against many Asian cricketers in Australia and currently play for a team that has an Asian captain.

Craig

World Traveller
Now, yes. In 10 - 15 years, no. There are a large number of players with sub-continent backgrounds coming through the ranks at the moment. Matter of time before we see an Usman Kwahaja, or a Vinay Parikh playing Test cricket.
If he plays Tests this year then would of been one hell of a call.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Extend the hypothesis to a point that if there was no Warne available for Aussies. Say Warne was English.