• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fitness

cricket player

International Debutant
Fitness does really do play an importent part in cricket,
Also being phiscally strong and have big arms does help you as a batsman,
I am deciding to gain weight to just help myself as a batsman because I weight 135 at the moment And I want to get to 143 The most.

Some people say being big and strong lets take Inzamam as an example he hits alot of sixes because he is a strong man,But if you are skinnie you wont able to hit sixes even though if you time the ball well,

Do you guys think being strong helps you hit sixes as being a skinnie person?
Please give me a good list of things That I have to eat in order to gain weight quickly.

simmy

International Regular
I would say that 135lbs is very low and it is likely that your metabolism will make it hard for you to put on weight. In general just eat everything you can (fat even)... get down the gym and hit the weight bench if you really want to put on weight. Your fitness may suffer though. I weigh around 75kg and got to 80kg just by toning up... I found that my muscles pulled far more easily especially on the back of some part-time bowling. My advice would be to just solely concentrate on playing late and timing.. (a good bat helps too!)

cricket player

International Debutant
simmy said:
I would say that 135lbs is very low and it is likely that your metabolism will make it hard for you to put on weight. In general just eat everything you can (fat even)... get down the gym and hit the weight bench if you really want to put on weight. Your fitness may suffer though. I weigh around 75kg and got to 80kg just by toning up... I found that my muscles pulled far more easily especially on the back of some part-time bowling. My advice would be to just solely concentrate on playing late and timing.. (a good bat helps too!)
Now how can you say 135 is low,I see people 95 or 100lbs I am not that skinny but really I do have to gain weight for my own sake.

But then ***uality never going to let me do that :p

Scallywag

Banned
cricket player said:
Please give me a good list of things That I have to eat in order to gain weight quickly.
Timing is required for hitting sixes not weight.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Exactly. Look at Ricky Ponting, Sachin Tendulkar, Nathan Astle, Sanath Jayasuria to name a few. It is exactly like golf: it is all a matter of timing. It is simply a myth that you have to weigh alot to clear the fence. Having a go at building your upper body is a start though. You need a balanced system of gym work and diet to gain weight, not just eating lots of food. It is the right sorts of food that is important, such as protein shakes and protein enriched foods such as fish, chicken, beef etc. Eat six meals a day. Lots of water.

I would concentrate on technique and timing if you were trying to hit sixes. Alot of it is down to hand and eye coordination. Plus you need skill, you can't just waft a bat and expect instant success :D
Plus practice practice practice. Trying to hit the ball late is a good idea.

Last edited:

dinu23

International Debutant
yeah, fitness plays an important part. I used to bowl 10-12 overs straight when I played for my club. but since quitting I can only bowl about 5 overs straight because I didn't exercise to keep fit.

King_Ponting

International Regular
130 is exetremely skinny, how tall are ya mate??? I currently weigh 77kg (170 pounds) and im 5ft 11. But that comes down to 2 years of hard work pumping weights. Despite what many people believe i found that protien shakes didnt do s*it in helping me put on muscle mass and it was only eating food and lots of it 5-7 meals a day which helped me gain muscle mass. Also if u do decide to pump weights Bench presses will be the thing that helps u gain upper body strength quickly if u push yourself. Also only work out 3-4 days a week giving yourself a days break between workouts to help your body recover. If bowling quick is what u want to do abdominal strength is what u need so i suggest investing in a sit up bench and doing sit ups on the hardest level, or if your muscles arent u to that a lower level, and do 3 reps of 40 twice a day 4 times a week. Anyway good luck with the weights mate

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Timing is required for hitting sixes not weight.
More accurately, weight does not equal strength.
You'd never guess Chris Read's power by looking at him, but he can hit the ball a mile when he times it. Same was true of the great Aravinda.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Simply put, I think that if your going to sacrifice aerobic ability to gain muscle as a cricketer, then its a waste of time. Endurance is much more important in cricket, as it will help you strengthen your mind as opposed to your body.

Of course, there is nothign wrong with going to the gym, but avoid excessive amounts of bicep curls, just to try and pull birds. Terrible for your throwing technique and actually don't help you at all in terms of what you need to do for cricket. Triceps, lats, benchpress is good, as well as doing a lot of core exercises (swiss ball stuff, situps, static holds) for your bowling. The other thing to watch for, CP, is that you don't put too much stress on your shoulders, so that you can keep bowling throughout the season without pain there.

Shounak

Banned
cricket player said:
Fitness does really do play an importent part in cricket,
Also being phiscally strong and have big arms does help you as a batsman,
I am deciding to gain weight to just help myself as a batsman because I weight 135 at the moment And I want to get to 143 The most.

Some people say being big and strong lets take Inzamam as an example he hits alot of sixes because he is a strong man,But if you are skinnie you wont able to hit sixes even though if you time the ball well,

In a recent Wisden Asia Cricket Magazine it mentioned the number of 6's Ganguly has hit throughout his career. It's suprisingly high. Not sure exactly, read it at the start of the year. Yet, you could hardly tell this from looking at his physique alone. His perfect timing is evident when he charges down the track and smashes the ball into oblivion. I've seen him do this to pace bowlers, it's ridiculous but can be suprisingly effective for him.

If you do want to put on weight, I'd personally suggest increasing your carbs and protein. Many of the weight gain powders have a mix of these and throw in lots of other stuff. Just google it.

I'd say putting on weight is a lot harder then losing weight. Being skinny is usually due to genetic factors(ie. fast metabolism), and having excess weight can generally be attributed to lifestyle factors (paraphrashing Heals "fat, lazy, unfit c*nt). Putting on weight sounds like a full time job. I don't even think it's neccesary in a sport like cricket. Unless you're at a really high level, I think that just hitting the gym and fitness would do the trick. Increased strength from lifting heavier weights? If raw strength is what you're after, as a means of hitting sixes?

Last edited:

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Look at Afridi. He's not the biggest guy out there but he sure can hit sixes. IT's all abou ttechnique and timing. Working out certain areas of your body can help but only so much.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
timing is the key to hit it out...but muscle helps also in a way that sometimes you can mistime a shot but still power it out with muscle power, and not to mention it helps play long innings.

Langeveldt

Soutie
cricket player said:
Sure I got the skills
Yeah I'm sure you have..

Better idea would be to work on your cardio-vascular endurance.. Run laps and shuttle runs.. You will turn lots of 1's into 2's and save lots of runs in the field.. More than just wafting the bat and hoping it goes a long way because you've got some biceps..

kof98

U19 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
Yeah I'm sure you have..

Better idea would be to work on your cardio-vascular endurance.. Run laps and shuttle runs.. You will turn lots of 1's into 2's and save lots of runs in the field.. More than just wafting the bat and hoping it goes a long way because you've got some biceps..
I agree, it will also benefit your team if you are able to help your batting partner turn 1s into 2s. Having two batsman who are fast between the wickets helps a lot at any level of cricket.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Strength does not come from your arms. It comes from the big body parts.. like core. I believe that is the most important part of your body when cricket it concerned.

kof98

U19 12th Man
Tamara said:
Strength does not come from your arms. It comes from the big body parts.. like core. I believe that is the most important part of your body when cricket it concerned.
such as having your weight forward when playing on the front foot?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
What i am meaning has anyone ever told you about having a stable base when you play cricket?
This is what I am trying to point out. That is where your power comes from bowling or batting or throwing

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which is one of the two reasons why balance is so important in batting.
Simple fact is, you can be very strong without looking it. And you can get power not just by using strength to wield a heavy bat (a la Tendulkar, Afridi, Klusener, Trescothick, Sehwag) but by having speed of wrists (a la Aravinda, Stephen Waugh).