• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How did this bloke play for aus a??

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Can anyone explain how someone with this guys record played for aus a?

http://content.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/7005.html???
"Despite the fact that the task of capturing first-class wickets on a regular basis has never been an easy task for slow bowlers based in Perth, Oldroyd also enjoyed a memorable start to the 2000-01 season, gaining selection in the process in an Australia 'A' side which met the touring West Indians in a fixture in Hobart."

There it is, in the profile. He had a good start to a season, so they put him in there as a prospect.

deeps

International 12th Man
was a very gd prospect a few years ago...

but i think beau casson has overtook him now, and has led to a very interesting scenario.

The western warriors played him infront of brad hogg a few times, despite hoggy playing a test for australia a few weeks earlier.

Hogg missed out a few times last season because casson was preffered over him.

The australian international spinner in the one dayers...

King_Ponting

International Regular
i personally no oldroyd as he plays for one of my club sides. On personal experience i cant believe this bloke played for australia a

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably for the same reason this guy played for Australia in Tests.

http://content.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/6573.html

Selectors generally take into account where you are bowling, and Olroyd was playing every second match at the WACA, notoriously fast bowler friendly. And Australian First Class cricket isn't all that kind to spinners, and I think that any that have a period of success, no matter how small, will be thrown into the spotlight quickly. Just look at Cullen.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not that surprising. Beau Casson averages about 38 at FC level, and Xavier Doherty averages 53, and both are regarded fairly highly.

Brad Hogg averages 42. But he's rubbish. Hauritz averages 47.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Simple: The selectors see him play more then the public, and they obviously was impressed, thought he had potential and picked him.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Simple: The selectors see him play more then the public, and they obviously was impressed, thought he had potential and picked him.
or he was going out with one of their daughters ? :D :laugh:

Scallywag

Banned
aussie said:
Hogg is by no means rubbish :huh:

Hogg is a genuine ODI spinner and has out performed spinners like Giles, Vettori and Kumble in ODI cricket.

His record in ODI's confirms his outstanding abilities.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
I can't -for the life of me- understand why Stuart MacGill was overlooked for the tour of India (2004), Hauritz himself was amazed that he was selected ahead of him. Maybe it was Stuart's mouth that got him into a bit of trouble.
History will show that Australia went on the win the series, however the inclusion of Hauritz was certainly a disputable one.

King_Ponting

International Regular
that was a situation where the aussie selectors were caught out. the only reson hauritz was in the touring squad ahead of macgill was because the selectors wanted the youngster to gain some experience.. they didnt expect warne to get injured and therefore there was no macgill in the touring party.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Hogg is, at best, a passable spinner in ODIs. He's certainly about as good as any chinaman bowler I've seen (not that there is many of them), but he doesn't really keep it tight enough.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Hogg is a genuine ODI spinner and has out performed spinners like Giles, Vettori and Kumble in ODI cricket.

His record in ODI's confirms his outstanding abilities.
Please explain how Hogg is a better ODI-spinner than 1990-1999 Kumble?
Yes, him and 1999\2000-2004\05 Kumble are about as rubbish as each other, but that's not exactly much of an achievement.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:
It's not that surprising. Beau Casson averages about 38 at FC level, and Xavier Doherty averages 53, and both are regarded fairly highly.

Brad Hogg averages 42. But he's rubbish. Hauritz averages 47.
And that both are regarded fairly highly says something about how easy it is for spinners to be overrated in Australia.
If any of them turn-out to be anything (and Dan Cullen too) I'll eat my computer.