• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A prediction !!

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pakistan will defeat Engalnd 2-0 in the test series to be played between the two teams later this year.

Danish Kaneria will be the top pakistani wicket taker. :D .

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Danish Kaneria could be the leading the wicket-taker in that series but on a serious note its a bit too early to predict england's chances in that series, after the ashes is over then i can make a better assesment on england chances in the sub-continent this winter.

Its definately going to be an interesting series in both the ODI & Test in India & Pakistan

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
Danish Kaneria could be the leading the wicket-taker in that series but on a serious note its a bit too early to predict england's chances in that series, after the ashes is over then i can make a better assesment on england chances in the sub-continent this winter.

Its definately going to be an interesting series in both the ODI & Test in India & Pakistan
After England get flogged in the Ashes the line-up is likely to be changed a lot anyway.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mister Wright said:
After England get flogged in the Ashes the line-up is likely to be changed a lot anyway.
I doubt it. England don't have great depth of talent particularly on the bowling front.

If the front line bowlers don't perform (and I fully expect Australia's batsmen to thrash the English bowlers who are bullying bangladesh atm), England will still have to persist with them

I mean England's reserve bowling lineup of Lewis, Tremlett, Batty, mahmood and Anderson is laughable.
Australia have much better reserves.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It will be interesting certainly. I think England will win, though. India vs England will be closer, and should solidify England's claims for the number 2 spot if they avoid defeat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
I don't think it will to be honest.

Thorpe will go, but that's through choice, but apart from that I don't know what else will change, the only other possible I can see is for Jones the dodgy keeper to be replaced.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
It will be interesting certainly. I think England will win, though. India vs England will be closer, and should solidify England's claims for the number 2 spot if they avoid defeat.
I would have thought that England's claims for number 2 are quite solid though to be fair.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I would have thought that England's claims for number 2 are quite solid though to be fair.
Fairly, but they haven't played India in a while, and India are the other main candidate for number 2 (now that South Africa have been dealt with). I think England are the number two side in the world, but if they have a good time of it in India it will remove all doubt, while if they are whitewashed it would probably bring it into serious question.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Would Australia still be considered number 1 if they lost the Ashes, though?
Can't see why not, unless they were absolutely thrashed. If England pulled off a similar drubbing to Australia in '89, they would be able to call themselves the best in the world, but Australia has dominated so absolutely all over the rest of the world for so long that a 1981 sort of result would just indicate that England are very close, I think. If England went on to do well in the subcontinent and Australia struggled though, things might change afterwards. Or alternatively, if both teams continued to dominate for another 18 months and then England also won the 2006/07 Ashes.

C_C

International Captain
I highly doubt England will do well in India.
Since the departure of Gooch, there has been a paucity of english batsmen who can play top quality spin well enough on their own homesoil, let alone the backyard of spin.
I somehow dont see the likes of Vaughan-Key-Flintoff etc. surviving a 5th day crumbler against Kumble and Bhajji.

Regarding to OZ's status...they've built so much momentum over the past 5-6 years that even if they lose this ashes(as likely as chickens flying F-16s) and dont dominate from now on, it will still be atleast 2-3 years before they are dislodged from #1 position.

Sitting from here, i can see only one series where OZ probably wont go in as the favourite- Ind vs AUS in 2007 in Australia.........Tendulkar,Dravid,Sehwag,Bhajji, etc. would still be around but Australia would be missing almost everybody barrig Ponting,Clarke and Gillespie from the current lineup.

Last edited:

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
LongHopCassidy said:
Would Australia still be considered number 1 if they lost the Ashes, though?
Yes obviously, you dont lose class overnight although it would mean that England have gotten mighty close to them

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The Lineup is likely to be(barring injuries)

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
G.Jones+
Giles
S.Jones/Batty????
Hoggard
Harmison

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
C_C said:
I highly doubt England will do well in India.
Since the departure of Gooch, there has been a paucity of english batsmen who can play top quality spin well enough on their own homesoil, let alone the backyard of spin.
I somehow dont see the likes of Vaughan-Key-Flintoff etc. surviving a 5th day crumbler against Kumble and Bhajji.

Regarding to OZ's status...they've built so much momentum over the past 5-6 years that even if they lose this ashes(as likely as chickens flying F-16s) and dont dominate from now on, it will still be atleast 2-3 years before they are dislodged from #1 position.

Sitting from here, i can see only one series where OZ probably wont go in as the favourite- Ind vs AUS in 2007 in Australia.........Tendulkar,Dravid,Sehwag,Bhajji, etc. would still be around but Australia would be missing almost everybody barrig Ponting,Clarke and Gillespie from the current lineup.
how about England - AUS down under, if England manage to not lose this series by a huge margin [say lose 2-1 or draw 2-2], they will definitely be favourites next time round

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, as they undoubtedly showed when they were last called on (Australia 1 India 1 ring any bells?)
Had the likes of Mahmood, Lewis, Tremlett, batty etc been facing Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag what do you think would have happened ? 8-)

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Jamee999 said:
The Lineup is likely to be(barring injuries)

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
G.Jones+
Giles
S.Jones/Batty????
Hoggard
Harmison
If we have only one reliable spinner, then we will have to go with only that spinner. That's what i think but Batty will probably play

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
C_C said:
So how come they went and beat Sri Lanka and Pakistan away then?

C_C said:
Cast your mind back to December 2003:

2 battling draws in a row in Murali's backyard.

In the second one, a certain M Vaughan scored 105 in over 7 hours...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
EnglishRose said:
Had the likes of Mahmood, Lewis, Tremlett, batty etc been facing Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag what do you think would have happened ? 8-)
I do like the way you've written off 3 there who have never played International cricket.

Automatically decided they'll be rubbish have you?