• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A prediction !!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpeedKing said:
If we have only one reliable spinner, then we will have to go with only that spinner. That's what i think but Batty will probably play
I'd pick Swann ahead of Batty.

twctopcat

International Regular
EnglishRose said:
I mean England's reserve bowling lineup of Lewis, Tremlett, Batty, mahmood and Anderson is laughable.
Australia have much better reserves.
Anderson is 22, Mahmood 23 and Tremlett is 23. That's pretty young and inexperienced but the potential is most definitely there, just ask rod marsh.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
EnglishRose said:
Had the likes of Mahmood, Lewis, Tremlett, batty etc been facing Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag what do you think would have happened ? 8-)
Probably something appalling like India racking up 700+

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
I do like the way you've written off 3 there who have never played International cricket.

Automatically decided they'll be rubbish have you?
Well I am sure they will be.
Just as I am sure your beloved Harmison is in for a fearful shellacking in the Ashes.

EnglishRose

School Boy/Girl Captain
Beleg said:
Pakistan will beat England in the ODI's but not the test.
this time I think Pakistan will beat England in the tests.

Wonder if England will be game enough to play in Peshawar (home of the Afridis and the Pathan warriors of Kipling fame ?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
EnglishRose said:
Well I am sure they will be.
The one who calls all the English on the forum idiots is too shortsighted to wait for any evidence before making blind assumptions and is dismissing players before they've bowled a ball in international cricket. That's really super bright isn't it? 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
EnglishRose said:
I mean England's reserve bowling lineup of Lewis, Tremlett, Batty, mahmood and Anderson is laughable.
Australia have much better reserves.
and im sure the lights off bracken with his test average in the 50s, alone with williams, lee, tait and the rest of the rubbish will have england quaking in their boots.

tooextracool

International Coach
C_C said:
I somehow dont see the likes of Vaughan-Key-Flintoff etc. surviving a 5th day crumbler against Kumble and Bhajji.
the same vaughan of course who averages 53 in india and scored a remarkable 105 against murali with doosra to save england on a 5th day pitch.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
After England get flogged in the Ashes the line-up is likely to be changed a lot anyway.
maybe but i hope not too much, it shouldn;t change after one series defeat since they have been more successful together as aunit in the last year, i do see after the ashes talk of talk being replaced start popping up, similar to what happened to Hussain last season.

Hopefully Mark Butcher will come back then since england them will have two inexperienced batsmen in the middle order

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
Would Australia still be considered number 1 if they lost the Ashes, though?
they should if england win the ashes its going to be a close finish anyway

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jamee999 said:
The Lineup is likely to be(barring injuries)

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
Pietersen
Flintoff
G.Jones+
Giles
S.Jones/Batty????
Hoggard
Harmison
if we are talking about the pakistan series Thorpe should be in their instead of KP, if you are refering to India then since thorpe will be playing for NSW then that line-up is safe, even though i wont mind seeing Keedy their in India has a second spinner to Gilo instead of batty and swann but thats just my opinion

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
I highly doubt England will do well in India.
Since the departure of Gooch, there has been a paucity of english batsmen who can play top quality spin well enough on their own homesoil, let alone the backyard of spin.
I somehow dont see the likes of Vaughan-Key-Flintoff etc. surviving a 5th day crumbler against Kumble and Bhajji.

Sitting from here, i can see only one series where OZ probably wont go in as the favourite- Ind vs AUS in 2007 in Australia.........Tendulkar,Dravid,Sehwag,Bhajji, etc. would still be around but Australia would be missing almost everybody barrig Ponting,Clarke and Gillespie from the current lineup.
What about Thorpe and Vaughan???????? :huh: thopre for one batted beautfully againts PAK & SRI in 2001 againts Saqlain, Mushtaq, Arshad, Kaneria, Murali & his blokes.

Vaughan on the other hand is pretty good againts spinners he scored a match saving 105 againts SRI under the bazing Kandy heat 2 years ago

Refering to the aussies Katich will be their as well

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
England should be back to square one once they have been stuffed out of sight by Australia, and just like every other side who has to play them, will be in rebuild mode and will probably underperform against Pak..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
England should be back to square one once they have been stuffed out of sight by Australia, and just like every other side who has to play them, will be in rebuild mode and will probably underperform against Pak..
not necessarily....as well as england has been playing recently, i'm sure they know that they go into the ashes as clear underdogs...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
if we are talking about the pakistan series Thorpe should be in their instead of KP, if you are refering to India then since thorpe will be playing for NSW then that line-up is safe, even though i wont mind seeing Keedy their in India has a second spinner to Gilo instead of batty and swann but thats just my opinion
Thorpe will retire in September, it's the worst kept secret since Atherton retired!

As for Keedy - I think a lack of variation from the number 1 bowler added to other options being better with bat and in the field will mean he doesn't play.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Thorpe will retire in September, it's the worst kept secret since Atherton retired!

As for Keedy - I think a lack of variation from the number 1 bowler added to other options being better with bat and in the field will mean he doesn't play.
well if Thorpe does retire in september i would like to see Butcher back in the england middle order, having 2 inexperienced but talented batsmen in the middle order on those sub-continent tours and beyond could be fatal.

Well i agree with your views on Keedy his inability with the bat & in the field will most likely cost him a place on those tours, but i have seen a lot of him over the past two seasons & its disappointing for him that he is poor in those area's since his bowling looks good

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
and im sure the lights off bracken with his test average in the 50s, alone with williams, lee, tait and the rest of the rubbish will have england quaking in their boots.
So Tait is rubbish now is he? 8-)

King_Ponting

International Regular
Tait and lee rubbish????? That comment on its own is laughable, how can u suggest that a bowler who took 60 wickets in first class cricket in Aus last year at 19.12 is not seen as a threat....... Jeez if england thought the same way as you do the test series and the ashes would be wrapped up in 6 days. And just for you TEC that means an aussie win in under 2 days in the first 3 tests.