• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best all-rounder in world cricket?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well on recent form in last 12 months, in both forms of the game the answer to this question would definately be Flintoff. But over a long period looking at blokes like Kallis, Cairns, Pollock, Razzaq is Freddie or does Freddie have the capability to be better than them? I say yes.....

Lets here your views

Blaze

Banned
Afridi is up there IMO and Oram deserves to be on the list but for me it is definetly Flintoff as Cairns doesn't really take cricket seriously these days it seems

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Afridi is up there IMO and Oram deserves to be on the list but for me it is definetly Flintoff as Cairns doesn't really take cricket seriously these days it seems
Even Sobers never seemed to take his cricket seriously. But we arent discussing attitudes, are we ?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Even Sobers never seemed to take his cricket seriously. But we arent discussing attitudes, are we ?
Surely his attitude relates to his performance, which would have quite a bearing on his standing in the ranking of all-rounders?

:p

Blaze

Banned
SJS said:

Well no but cricket isn't that important in Cairns's life anymore and that has affected his performances and therefore I was just giving a reason as to his demise

archie mac

International Coach
I am not a big fan of the style he plays his Cricket but I think Kallis is the Best of the current crop. I always think bowling allrounders are of more value. (I know Kallis is more of a batting ar)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Well no but cricket isn't that important in Cairns's life anymore and that has affected his performances and therefore I was just giving a reason as to his demise
Sure. Valid point.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think in tests Freddie is arguably the only genuine all-rounder in the game just now. It's a small gripe, but sometimes I wish he'd apply some discretion to his batting just a tad more. With his ability the temptation to smack the bowling around must be hard to resist, but against SA he kept falling into the trap Pollock & Smith laid for him.

Kallis was a genuine all-rounder two or three years ago before his injury probs and his bowling has improved again now he's recovering, but he seems a very reluctant all-rounder to me. He wouldn't get in to SA's test side for his bowling alone now.

Bravo is the coming man test wise, but his batting isn't quite strong enough for him to be selected solely for that just yet. The century against SA was encouraging but it was a dead-as-doornails track & he was dismissed by "Golden Arm" Boucher! :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To me, Kallis is the best player who is considered an all-rounder, rightly or wrongly.

However, Flintoff is the best all-rounder, in actually performing both disciplines at the highest level in world cricket at the moment, probably in both forms of the game.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff is the best all-rounder by a fair margin, as Kallis can't really be considered such any more as he rarely bowls with any impact. Kallis is a more valuable player however, as he is in the top 5 batsmen in the world currently alongside Dravid, Ponting, Lara and Martyn.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
I think in tests Freddie is arguably the only genuine all-rounder in the game just now. It's a small gripe, but sometimes I wish he'd apply some discretion to his batting just a tad more. With his ability the temptation to smack the bowling around must be hard to resist, but against SA he kept falling into the trap Pollock & Smith laid for him.

Kallis was a genuine all-rounder two or three years ago before his injury probs and his bowling has improved again now he's recovering, but he seems a very reluctant all-rounder to me. He wouldn't get in to SA's test side for his bowling alone now.

Bravo is the coming man test wise, but his batting isn't quite strong enough for him to be selected solely for that just yet. The century against SA was encouraging but it was a dead-as-doornails track & he was dismissed by "Golden Arm" Boucher! :D

Oram?

deeps

International 12th Man
afridi is fast joining that list in the one dayers

But ppl will shoot me down for this, but i think shoaib malik is the best all rounder in the world.. he can match flintoff and cairns' hitting. he can match kallis in defence. he is once again bowling so can be considered an all rounder

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
afridi is fast joining that list in the one dayers

But ppl will shoot me down for this, but i think shoaib malik is the best all rounder in the world.. he can match flintoff and cairns' hitting. he can match kallis in defence. he is once again bowling so can be considered an all rounder
Shoaib Malik is very good but his bowling is under a cloud.

As far as Afridi and one day all rounders are concerned, I think a true all rounder is a test all rounder. One who is not an all rounder for tests and only for ODI's is realy a bits and pieces player OR a batsman who can bowl a bit OR a bowler who can slog.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Kallis..

I'd rather have arguably the best batsman in world cricket, and an okayish bowler, than someone who is just "good" at both batting and bowling..

King_Ponting

International Regular
Best potential allrounder.................. Micheal Clarke?????
Best current all rounder..................... Flintoff

a massive zebra

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
To me, Kallis is the best player who is considered an all-rounder, rightly or wrongly.

However, Flintoff is the best all-rounder, in actually performing both disciplines at the highest level in world cricket at the moment, probably in both forms of the game.
+1