Cricket Betting Site Betway
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: ethics

  1. #1
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,877

    Icon4 ethics

    back in the days of saturday cricket there were times when the opposition were short and would get players from the other team to field for them. there are two instances i can think that really come to mind. in one i had just been batting, and had gotten out. i was sent out to field for the other team. my team was batting at the time. the ball got hit in my direction three times and three times i purposely misfielded the ball and help my side score more runs. looking back that was pretty low. the other instance i can think of was in my second to last season of cricket. i had just received a **** lbw decision and was back into the hut after making a brisk 31 off 42 balls. not long after i was sent out to field for the other team. drama ensued. the batsmen on strike was a player i didn't like at all, he was an idiot really. i was fielding at mid wicket. the next thing i know this guy hits the ball up in my direction. i took a pretty good catch. i hurled the ball up in the air in a rather passionaite celebration and went in for the lap up with the other team. as it happened, my side went onto the lose the match. should have a i dropped the ball or what? or in the other game should have i not misfielded the ball? it's in the past now, but these things still bother me somewhat
    "Matt Damon"

  2. #2
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,964
    sorry mate but very difficult to read the paragraph without spacing or any thing.

  3. #3
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,964
    When you are fielding for another team, during that period you are part of that team. So you should field as best as possible without thinking of misfielding or any thing even if it is against your real team in the match.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    back in the days of saturday cricket there were times when the opposition were short and would get players from the other team to field for them. there are two instances i can think that really come to mind. in one i had just been batting, and had gotten out. i was sent out to field for the other team. my team was batting at the time. the ball got hit in my direction three times and three times i purposely misfielded the ball and help my side score more runs. looking back that was pretty low. the other instance i can think of was in my second to last season of cricket. i had just received a **** lbw decision and was back into the hut after making a brisk 31 off 42 balls. not long after i was sent out to field for the other team. drama ensued. the batsmen on strike was a player i didn't like at all, he was an idiot really. i was fielding at mid wicket. the next thing i know this guy hits the ball up in my direction. i took a pretty good catch. i hurled the ball up in the air in a rather passionaite celebration and went in for the lap up with the other team. as it happened, my side went onto the lose the match. should have a i dropped the ball or what? or in the other game should have i not misfielded the ball? it's in the past now, but these things still bother me somewhat
    Simple thing is there's no way you can ever justify having a competative cricket match where someone's allegiences are switched.
    It's just not right. No-one has a right to expect that.
    And in a friendly, well - who cares? The result isn't relevant, all that matters is doing the best you can for the team you've been put on.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year Kweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,723
    yup, just field best you can. those misfields are low indeed. though its better then dropped catches on purpose.
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Deliberately dropping a catch is about the lowest thing possible to do in cricket.

  7. #7
    International Regular shaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    auckland NZ
    Posts
    3,045
    I agree, the dropped catches on purpose is low, you should play as normal as possible to what you would do if it was your actual team. I remember in School game, the opposition only had a few players, i was an "extra" for the 1st X1 or something, and they were my mates, so I was asked to bowl, and tried my best to bowl them out, but with little success. However I did manage to get a personal best high score.

  8. #8
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by kwek
    yup, just field best you can. those misfields are low indeed. though its better then dropped catches on purpose.
    haha, i remember the ball came at me quite hard and fast, i didn't have to move far. for some reason i was surprised to have taken the catch and it was a lot easier than i figured at first. that guy was called nick webb btw. i'm pretty sure he is in the auckland u19 squad.... *******

  9. #9
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Deliberately dropping a catch is about the lowest thing possible to do in cricket.
    i remember once this thick edge went up. it went so high, higher then i think i've ever seen before. garrick was under it, but opted not to attempt to catch it out of fear he might damage his hands.haha good times good times

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Leon Garrick the West Indian international?

  11. #11
    International Captain nibbs's Avatar
    Chopper Challenge Champion! Roulette Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    6,877
    no, garrick knight, my team mate in our waitakere u15 2nd grade team

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year James90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,773
    We had some of our players field for the opposition last season. Everyone was like, what happens if the ball comes my way? I don't want to get my teammates out! Maybe they'll hate me forever.

    It was good cos I batted at number 5, meaning I was too early in the order to field at the start and once I got in I batted the team to victory so I couldn't bat afterwards.

    After that the coach decided we just couldn't do it anymore. Next time we were asked to field for the other team he just looked at the opposition coach and said, "na". Priceless.
    Supported XI
    Tamim Iqbal, JA Burns, UT Khawaja, *SPD Smith, Mahmudullah, C de Grandhomme, +AT Carey, PJ Cummins, Rashid Khan, Mustafizur Rahman, JP Behrendorff.

    RIP Fardin. RIP Craigos. RIP Prince.

  13. #13
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    29,569
    I remember sub-fielding for the opposition in U/16s, and a guy who I had had a lot of trouble running between wickets with during the year (we'd run each other out a couple of times) was batting, and he thought he'd hit the ball past me. I ended up fielding it and getting a direct hit, running him out. That was rather embarrassing. Probably one of the best bits of fielding I'll ever do.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,883
    you've always gotta try your best, i think. whenever i have to field for the opposition, i try, even when my dad's batting.

    same thing happened in a soccer match, i was recruited to play for the other team (albeit against the A team). i ended up defending and saving about 3 goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by nibbs
    no, garrick knight, my team mate in our waitakere u15 2nd grade team
    Oh, right, coulda been more specific.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •