• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting Cricket/cricketers' Stories !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here is one of the finest I have ever read. It was made into a book later and sold thousands of copies. A scandal which brought the Catholic and Protestant comunities in Australia to a massive confrontation !!

Published: 22/09/2003
The Coningham Case

It is December 1900, and Australia is hurtling towards Federation. Queen Victoria's long reign draws to a close and another Contingent leaves for the Boer War in a fanfare of jingoism. Australia is about to become a nation - but beneath the surface of this ideal society lies a honeycomb of sectarian division. Ingrained prejudices exist between Roman Catholic and Protestant. Each group regards each other with deep suspicion and resentment. And into the centre of this strained atmosphere steps Test cricketer Arthur Coningham, claiming that his wife has been seduced by a priest within the confines of Sydney's largest cathedral. The resentment flares into open hostility.

Arthur Coningham was once described as having 'the audacity and cunning of an ape and the modesty of a phallic symbol'. An all-round athlete, he toured England with the Australian Test Cricket team, and represented Australia in the 1894 Test. Although a chemist by profession, he was soon bankrupt, but once released from bankruptcy became a well-known bookmaker, sporting a bag emblazoned "CONINGHAM THE CRICKETER".

On the eve of his departure for England in 1893, Coningham married English-born Alice Dowling - a Catholic. Convent-educated Alice had given birth at 17 to an illegitimate child, which later died. To avoid scandal, she dressed in widow's weeds, claiming her sailor husband had drowned.

After her marriage to Arthur Coningham, their union had seemed happy. The couple had three children and lived frugally in rooming houses. Alice kept her Catholic faith and was a regular at Sydney's St Mary's Cathedral, seat of Cardinal Moran, Head of the Australian Catholic Church.

Cardinal Moran was a controversial figure, embroiled in the midst of the Catholic Church's fight for State funding for Catholic schools. His private secretary and administrator of St Mary's Cathedral was Dr Francis O'Haran. Dr O'Haran was a charismatic, tall, good-looking man whose portraits were regularly sold at church bazaars. Alice Coningham became well-known at St Mary's, producing a Passion play (of indifferent success).

Over time, Arthur Coningham became aware that his wife's affections seemed to be cooling towards him. She finally confessed to an affair with the priest, and that he had fathered her third son, Vincent Francis. Coningham twice wrote to Cardinal Moran, setting out his grievances and asking for compensation. Moran ignored the blackmail, so Coningham sued for divorce, naming Dr O'Haran as co-respondent, and claiming five thousand pounds damages for loss of honour.

The Coningham trial began before Mr Justice Simpson and an all-Protestant jury in December 1900. When it was discovered that the Coninghams had been sharing a bedroom even after the divorce proceedings had begun, Coningham's solicitor exited the court, and Coningham was left to conduct his own case, which he did with surprising skill and confidence.

Thus Coningham cross-examined his own wife in an attempt to prove her adultery and win his divorce (and 5000 pounds) She showed alarming candour in detailing the extent of the alleged affair. Intercourse, she stated, took place in the Sacristy, the Cardinal's Hall, upstairs in the hall, and in a little room at the back. Also the Presbytery office on the left, the waiting room on the right, the Cardinal's Sacristy and the fern-house... The "misconduct" usually took place on Friday nights, as O'Haran went to confession on Saturdays. Although he had refused to christen her son, Vincent Francis had been named after O'Haran, she said.

Coningham testified that he could not have fathered Vincent Francis, as he (Coningham) was suffering from a cricket injury at the time of the child's conception.

Through cross-examination, O'Haran's barrister drew out the sordid details of Alice's past, particularly her widow's weeds and illegitimate child.

Justice Owen was furious when, due to a mix-up, Cardinal Moran did not arrive to testify when called, and to the horror of the Catholic population, threatened to arrest the Cardinal for contempt. The Cardinal apologised and eventually proceeded with his evidence, refuting Alice's claims and stating that he had treated Coningham's blackmail letters with the contempt they deserved

Coningham conducted his case - simply his wife's word against that of a priest - by playing on the public distrust of all things Catholic, which made wonderful copy in the press, where divorce court trials were published word for word.

When Alice described her first liaison with the priest, Justice Owen needed to be crystal-clear about the seduction:

Justice: Adultery followed?
Alice: Yes, your Honour.
Justice: He put you down?
Alice: Yes.
Justice: Quietly or forcibly?
Alice: Forcibly, all through the night.

The very nature of the trial, setting Protestant against Catholic, inflamed the existing sectarian tensions. Coningham portrayed himself as a lone Englishman holding out against the all-powerful Catholics and their limitless wealth. Orange Lodge President, Dill-Macky, who saw in Coningham a rallying-post against the Catholic "menace", became Coningham's champion. Rabidly anti-Catholic, Dill-Macky began by setting up the Coningham Fighting Fund to assist with legal fees and expenses.

The anti-Catholic sentiment reached its height when Coningham introduced a question of Catholic dogma based on the teaching of St Liguori: If a priest attends confession and admits his sin, can he then claim that he has not committed a sin? Justice Owen was widely castigated afterwards for allowing this line of questioning to continue. Where Coningham found such an esoteric theme would only be discovered later.

The insinuation that by mental reservation a Catholic can somehow twist reality now became the basis of a long-running debate in the newspapers between the Catholic Church and Dill Macky, as Orange Lodge President and Pastor of Scot's Church.

At last the trial ended. After twelve hours, the word came down to the 5000 people gathered outside the law courts: the jury could not agree. A new trial was to follow.

The Coningham Case had become a real thorn in the side of the Catholic Church. After the first verdict, Cardinal Moran contacted W P Crick, solicitor, parliamentarian and Post Master of New South Wales, for help.

Eventually, Crick's assistant, Daniel Green uncovered Coningham's secret ally - a person known only as "'Zero'. Through hand-scrawled letters and messages in the personal columns of newspapers, Zero had amongst other things, introduced the injurious mental reservation subject. Searching further, Green discovered that the secret ally was in fact a distinguished priest with an implacable hatred of O'Haran. Cardinal Moran denounced the traitor, who was spirited away to America.

Meanwhile, Coningham was unaware of his ally's fate. Dan Green took advantage of the situation and became "Zero II". He continued the correspondence until the unsuspecting Coningham demanded a meeting. As a disguise (for they had met before), Green wore a dark overcoat with the collar turned up, a slouch hat with the brim pulled down, a pair of goggles and carried a blackthorn stick with sharp spines. The subterfuge worked and Zero was accepted.

Zero II supplied Coningham with two dates which would be 'safe' for Alice to swear to, having been mistaken at the previous trial. Green told Coningham:

I can give you two dates - April 1 and April 30…I know a cabman who will swear anything for me and will swear that he drove a certain lady to the Presbytery on those dates

Alice Coningham was staying at a boarding house, 'Burrilda', owned by a Mr Miller, who was in dire financial straits. Green, through Crick, purchased the house. At a party at Burrilda, Mrs Coningham was mysteriously laid low, and her private letters somehow disappeared.

When the second trial began, this time before Justice Owen, public interest was at fever-pitch. The papers were not disappointed with the copy:

Coningham asked Dr O'Haran, 'Have you been chaste all your life?', to which O'Haran replied, 'I have been chased by both you and your wife'. Alice attested to knowledge of a tattoo on Dr O'Haran's body, which was later proved to be on his arm.

Much of the trial was a repeat of the previous one, until Alice stated that she was mistaken in the dates she had sworn to in the last trial. She now believed that misconduct had occurred on the afternoons of the 1st and 30 April - the exact dates supplied by Zero II. Now an army of witnesses swore that Dr O'Haran had been present at very public functions on both those occasions.

Coningham put up a brave resistance, but his case had collapsed. Complaining about death-threats and jostling from the crowds, he produced Dill-Macky's revolver in court, but it was promptly confiscated.

The letters which had been stolen from Alice Coningham when she had fallen ill after the boarding-house party were produced by O'Haran's counsel, claiming them to be coded messages between Arthur and Alice Coningham. The Coninghams claimed the letters were forgeries.

The truth came out the following year, when Dan Green's book, Secret History of the Coningham Case boasted unashamedly that he had bought Burrilda solely to search for evidence against the Coninghams. In addition, Green's employer, W. P Crick, still bore the title of Post Master of New South Wales, and had abused his position to intercept mail and contravene laws of confidentiality.

Coningham's case was lost. Nevertheless, his five-hour closing speech reached new heights of oratory.

After 2½ hours deliberation, the jury brought back an emphatic 'No' verdict on the issue of whether seduction and adultery had taken place. However, they provided a strange rider, that there was not sufficient evidence to prove conspiracy in this case.

Coningham broke down in loud sobs until he was led away. Dr O'Haran was carried on the backs of a jubilant crowd to St Mary's where a grave Cardinal quietly raised his biretta.

Meetings were held for O'Haran all over Australia, to both celebrate and subsidise his costs, which had amounted to over three thousand pounds - including Dan Green's "expenses".

Within a year, Dill Macky created an Australian Protestant Defence Association. Packed meetings in the Sydney Town Hall and rural areas followed. Several skirmishes resulted, including a reading of the Riot Act in Wyalong, when Catholics attempted to disrupt the meetings. By 1903 the association had 135 branches and 22,000 members.

It was many years before this particular rift in the fabric of Australian society was mended, but the influence of Dill-Macky's APDA resonated in Australian politics for decades.

POST SCRIPT.

· The Coninghams moved to New Zealand, where Arthur worked as a book salesman until being sentenced to six months gaol for fraudulent conversion of six pounds three shillings. In 1912 Alice divorced him after he committed adultery in a beach shed.
· WP Crick died in disgrace in 1909 after the Lands Office scandal.
· Dr O'Haran died in 1931. His career in the Church did not prosper, and he never lived down the Coningham affair.
· Arthur Coningham returned to Australia and died in Gladesville mental hospital in 1939.
· Alice Coningham died in 1959.
· Their son, Arthur Coningham, DFC, was a WW2 flying ace, and died in an air crash near the Azores in 1948.
· Dan Green's book sold thousands of copies, many to Cardinal Moran.

His sole Test was memorable as he was no-balled, and in anger he deliberately hurled the next ball at AE Stoddart, England's captain. On his tour to England, during which he was awarded a medal after saving a boy from drowning in the Thames, he reportedly started a fire in the outfield during one match "to keep warm". A chemist by profession, he was made bankrupt, but once discharged became a bookmaker, carrying a satchel embossed with "Coningham the Cricketer".

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
There's more - :D the following from Cricinfo-

He returned to Australia and died in a mental institution. His son, Sir Arthur Coningham, was a World War Onew flying ace and went on to become an Air Marshall.
Martin Williamson

And another couple of interesting accompaniments to his life story !! :D

Arthur Coningham played for Queensland and New South Wales and in 1893 came to England but did nothing noteworthy. His highest innings was 151 for Queensland against New South Wales. In a match at Brisbane in 1891 for Stanley against Alberts in the Aitchinson Ale Trophy competition, all Stanley's 26 runs were made by Coningham. A left-hand batsman and bowler, he ranked high at home as an all-rounder. A first-class runner, rifle shot, billiards player and oarsman he also played football.
Wisden Cricketers' Almanack

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For the love of God, this is the most twisted reality tale I have ever heard.... And to think that I actually thought that such nonsense only occurs in India.....

Scallywag

Banned
I played cricket for a small farming community that was almost all family with brothers, uncles and cousins. Playing against arch enemys (closest farming neighbors) the captain injured himself batting and sent his young nephew out to field for him. It became a close game with the batting team needing only 5-6 runs with 1 wicket to go. The captains nephew was fielding at deep square leg when the batsman half hooked/pulled the ball. This young (14) kid bolted after the ball and took a one handed catch over his shoulder running with the ball, the reason he used his left hand was that his right hand was broken and in plaster. I will never forget how stunned everybody was to see a catch like that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Scallywag said:
I played cricket for a small farming community that was almost all family with brothers, uncles and cousins. Playing against arch enemys (closest farming neighbors) the captain injured himself batting and sent his young nephew out to field for him. It became a close game with the batting team needing only 5-6 runs with 1 wicket to go. The captains nephew was fielding at deep square leg when the batsman half hooked/pulled the ball. This young (14) kid bolted after the ball and took a one handed catch over his shoulder running with the ball, the reason he used his left hand was that his right hand was broken and in plaster. I will never forget how stunned everybody was to see a catch like that.
wow, that is amazing. But are those games that competitive over there?

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:
:-O

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wow, that is amazing. But are those games that competitive over there?
I once heard from David Gower that you could pick any 11 guys from an Aussie beach anywhere and they'll give you a competitive game of cricket and although exaggerating to the nth degree, it's a pretty accurate commentary of how stupidly serious Aussies take their sport.

This is what people fail to understand in a sense about the Aussie team; at state level, they go at each other as hard as possible. Matt Hayden and Justin Langer might be best of friends in Aussie colours but put Matty in a QLD helmet and Langer in the field for WA and watch them sledge each other mercilessly in a Pura Cup game. I've watched some frightening battles between Ricky Ponting and Jason Gillespie and have also watched Glenn McGrath systematically sledge and dismantle the technique of most of the Aussie top-order in Pura Cup games. And they give it back. And I'd hazard that none of them would have it any other way.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Top_Cat said:
I once heard from David Gower that you could pick any 11 guys from an Aussie beach anywhere and they'll give you a competitive game of cricket and although exaggerating to the nth degree, it's a pretty accurate commentary of how stupidly serious Aussies take their sport.

This is what people fail to understand in a sense about the Aussie team; at state level, they go at each other as hard as possible. Matt Hayden and Justin Langer might be best of friends in Aussie colours but put Matty in a QLD helmet and Langer in the field for WA and watch them sledge each other mercilessly in a Pura Cup game. I've watched some frightening battles between Ricky Ponting and Jason Gillespie and have also watched Glenn McGrath systematically sledge and dismantle the technique of most of the Aussie top-order in Pura Cup games. And they give it back. And I'd hazard that none of them would have it any other way.
I've mentioned it before on this forum, but the story out of Michael Slater's interview with Andrew Denton, when he and Shane Warne were back playing domestic cricket, and Warne was standing at slip saying "Tick", followed by Darren Berry with "Tock", and then Warne; the cycle continuing, as if the sound of a bomb about to go off, and making fun of Slater's propensity for brain explosions.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:
I've mentioned it before on this forum, but the story out of Michael Slater's interview with Andrew Denton, when he and Shane Warne were back playing domestic cricket, and Warne was standing at slip saying "Tick", followed by Darren Berry with "Tock", and then Warne; the cycle continuing, as if the sound of a bomb about to go off, and making fun of Slater's propensity for brain explosions.
I'm not sure if this is genuinely interesting, but it's another example of Warne's wit (such as it is) & a (IMO) quite clever piece of psychological warfare.

Rumour has it that Warne has given Kevin Pietersen the nickname "600", anyone care to hazard a guess as to why? :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
I'm not sure if this is genuinely interesting, but it's another example of Warne's wit (such as it is) & a (IMO) quite clever piece of psychological warfare.

Rumour has it that Warne has given Kevin Pietersen the nickname "600", anyone care to hazard a guess as to why? :)
Warne will have to bowl Ian Bell out of the series first if Pietersen is to live up to his nickname. :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:
It isn't all that interesting. But I just wanted to use the terms "propensity" and "brain explosion". So there :p
Calm down, I meant mine, not yours! I thought yours was one of those rare occasions when "Aussie wit" isn't an oxymoron! :D

For the record Warnie has nicknamed KP "600" cos he's got him marked down as his 600th test wicket! :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Rajinder Amarnath writes: The Making of a Legend, of the time the legendary Lala Amarnath managed the Indian team on its tour of Pakistan in 1954.

Having accepted the Pakistan captain Abdul Hafeez Kardar's invitation for a cup of tea, Lala occupied a sofa with his back to the door. "After a while, someone knocked on the door and entered and wished Kardar. He then said 'Any instructions for tomorrow's game, skipper?'

I turned to see who it was. It was Idris Baig, one of the umpires named for the final Test in Karachi. 'What kind of instructions do you want?' I said. Seeing me, Baig rushed out but the great plan to defeat India had been revealed. I looked at Kardar, who was visibly shaken. I bid him farewell and returned."

Late that evening, Amarnath summoned officials of the Pakistan Board, who had already heard about the faux pas. Amarnath told them that Baig would be an unacceptable choice and threatened a boycott of the Test. The officials first tried to convince Amarnath that there had been some misunderstanding and then tried looking for an alternate umpire but none seemed available at short notice.

It was past midnight when an official joked, "We have one qualified first-class umpire ? our selector Masood Salauddin ? but you will not accept him." To everyone's surprise, Amarnath agreed to let Salauddin officiate the Test. This is probably the only instance where a home team selector has officiated as umpire. In fact, Salauddin gave Kardar out stumped after he had made 93. No other Pakistan umpire would have dared give him out, Amarnath recalled.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
For the record Warnie has nicknamed KP "600" cos he's got him marked down as his 600th test wicket! :)
Suits me since I don't think he'll get a game in the Ashes...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Latest rice-pudding man

by Neville Cardus
Friday January 24, 1975

It is easy to imagine, from the reports of the Test matches in Australia, that the fast, short-pitched, rising ball bowled by Thomson and Lillee is a newly-invented menace to the physical well-being of batsmen. Indeed, I expect to read, or hear, any moment a statement from some sociologist informing us that the fast bouncer and Thomson and Lillee are by-products of the present-day revival of violence everywhere, letter-bombs, bombs, hijacking, etc. Our sociologist could argue that Thomson and Lillee are hijackers, saying to the batsmen: "Surrender to us your wicket, or we'll put you in hospital."

Alas, there is nothing new under the sun, or the moon. The fast bouncer has like the poor and the jokes of BBC comedians, always been with us. When I was a small boy I saw the Australian bowler Cotter attacking England's batsmen at Old Trafford. I was terrified, mainly because I feared he might hurt my favorite cricketer, R. H. Spooner. In his first over two balls catapulted high above the head of the Australian wicket-keeper.

At Trent Bridge, in this same rubber of 1905, Cotter blasted his way through the England first innings, bombing Hayward, John Gunn and the usually imperturbable F. S. Jackson. John Gunn told me years afterwards, that at the outset of England's second innings, A. C. MacLaren was seen pacing up and down the dressing-room, padded-up, and muttering to himself: "I'll bloody well Cotter him." And MacLaren scored 140, dismissing Cotter's bouncers contemptuously from his presence.

But we need not go as far back as 1905 to seek out the advent of the fast bowler's bouncer, called bumpers then. Only yester-year the West Indians, Hall and Griffith, menaced cranium and thorax; Hall broke the left wrist of Cowdrey at Lord's in 1963 - and Dexter put Hall to the sword with the high disdain of MacLaren. Have the cricket reporters in Australia forgotten Gregory and Macdonald bowling ferocious bouncers in Armstrong's Australian team of 1921?

At Trent Bridge, Gregory with a bouncer knocked out Ernest Tyldesley, the ball hitting his head then falling on the stumps. After the match I saw Ernest Tyldesley's more famous brother J. T. Tyldesley, and I expressed to him my sympathy with Ernest in his bad luck at Trent Bridge. But J. T. was not at all sympathetic. "He was trying to hook and ran into the ball. When a batsman tries to hook he should move over to the offside, then if the ball is not at the right height to hook, he leaves it alone, and the ball passes harmlessly over his left shoulder."

At Leeds, in 1921, the Hon. Lionel Tennyson, with a split hand, assaulted Gregory violently. Stanley McCabe coped triumphantly even with Larwood's nuclear attack, the so-called "body-line", in Australia. We can sum up the contemporary England batsmen's fearsome notion of the bouncer, a general idea that a bouncer is not quite cricket, by pointing out that one of the great strokes in all the batsman's repertory is the hook. And the hook could not have been invented and perfected, except against the short-pitched bouncer.

In a Lancashire v. Nottinghamshire match at Old Trafford, in the late twenties, Larwood was bouncing them. He was horrifically explosive. At the close of Lancashire's innings, E. A. Macdonald, Lancashire's imported and most stylish - and fast and most dangerous of fast bowlers to batsmen's anatomy - went into the Notts' players" dressing-room, advising them to ring up the nearest infirmary for an ambulance. "I'll show you," he threatened, "what a fast bumper really is." And he did. Whysall was hurt and obliged to leave the field. George Gunn walked out of his crease to Macdonald"s fastest. A bouncer came to him on the offside; he actually cut under the ball, sending it over third-man's head, high over, for six. Macdonald stopped in his run to bowl as he saw George walking towards him, out of his crease. "Get back, George," commanded Macdonald, "or I'll knock your head off." George replied to the fastest of fast bowlers, "Ted, you couldn't knock the skin off a rice pudding."

Ernest Jones, also Australian, sent a bouncer through the beard of W. G. Grace and was severely reprimanded verbally and by bat. At Old Trafford, in 1896, Ernest Jones bounced at fierce and lightning pace - and Ranjitsinhji scored 154, not out. In his retirement, Ranjitsinhji told me that one ball from Jones grazed his left ear, drawing blood. "I mistimed; I don't think I was seeing the ball very well that day."

As Compton remarked, over the radio the other day, the bouncer can be more or less controlled, given the technique. English batsmen, in recent years, have had little opportunity to practise against really fast stuff.

One of the most brightening exhibitions of fast bouncing bowling I have ever seen occurred at Old Trafford in 1948 during the England v. Australia Test match. Lindwall was awesome. He almost paralysed Compton's left arm, then, with a "no-ball" so much over the crease that he let the ball go its vicious way far down the pitch, he struck Compton's forehead as in fact Compton actually tried to hook (no running away!) and the missile flew off the edge of his bat. Compton staggered and was led from the field, his forehead bleeding. Stitches were sewn into the wound. He wanted to resume his innings but was advised by a doctor to rest awhile. Edrich (Bill), held the fort bravely, even as his kinsman did at Sydney the other week.

Compton - believe it or not - went to a net to find out if he could still see a quick ball, then resumed his Test match innings, stayed until close of play, and next morning carried his score to 145 not out. As Wisden recorded, Lindwall bowled bouncers with such force and dangerous aim that during this season of 1948 he knocked-out or hurt Compton, Todd, Washbrook (a great hooker), Keeton, Robertson and Watkins.

Bouncers of real pace are obviously not liked by ordinarily batsmen. But if bouncers are ever made illegal one of the imperial strokes will depart from batsmanship, much to the disappointment of the shades of A. C. MacLaren, Trumper, Jessop, Hendreff and Hammond (who, in his early years, was a powerful and noble hooker). I am pretty sure that one or two batsmen still with us would be eager to tackle the short clanging bouncers of Thomson - Barry Richards, for instance, Clive Lloyd and, maybe, Greg Chappell.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On Harold Larwood - A Collection of Tales

The ball that hit Oldfield started verything off. Not a recognised batsman, Oldfield had reached 40 with a leg glance off Larwood that went for 4, so Larwood dropped the next one short. Attempting to hook it, Oldfield mistimed it and was struck on the right side of the temple. All hell broke loose. Larwood, frightened that the injury might be serious, ran up to the crumpled figure. 'I'm sorry, Bertie,' he said. The plucky little wicket-keeper tried to collect himself and mumbled: 'It's not your fault, Harold.' An X-ray later revealed that Oldfield had suffered a fractured skull.

The crowd's anger exploded. 'Go home, you Pommie bastards!' they yelled as Woodfull assisted Oldfield from the field. The match continued amid a storm of barracking and abuse.

At the end of the day's play, police protection was offered to Larwood but big Bill Voce told them: 'Don't worry, we'll look after him.'

------------------------------------------------------------------

'On the last day but one of the Test(Adelaide Test of Bodyline series), Larwood received a telegram from Archie Jackson as he lay dying from a chest complaint in a Brisbane private hospital: 'Congratulations - magnificent bowling. Good luck - all matches, Archie Jackson.' This was the same Archie Jackson, acknowledged in Australia as the greatest master batsman since Trumper, who had taken a bruising and stood up to Harold's bowling on a rain-affected pitch at the Oval in 1930.

-------------------------------------------------------------

'The Sydney Cricket Ground was packed to capacity for the last Test and after nearly two days in the field England finally dismissed Australia on a fast wicket. Though Larwood had sweated to take 4 for 98 off 32 overs Jardine asked him to bat as night watchman. 'This isn't fair,' Larwood objected. Jardine insisted and the fast bowler went out to bat in a temper, survived until the next day, then batted on spleen, attacking the bowling with gusto. Fast bowler Bull Alexander kept bumping them down at him while the 'Hill' egged him on: 'Knock his bloody head off, Bull!' One ball grazed his nose and when a fielder remarked that it was a close one, Larwood casually replied: 'Not really, I had time to count
its stitches.' After scoring 98, including a 6, a 5 and nine 4's, the spectators, including all of the 'Hill', stood and cheered him off. The Australians may be good barrackers but they do appreciate good cricket. Larwood later learned that Jardine wanted him to bat early in order to give him a good rest before bowling. He just didn't explain it to Harold.

----------------------------------------------------------------
'I'll tell you about that 'Silent Killer' nickname I gave him. I used to field at cover point and as Loll came up on that smooth, carpet-slipper run of his, and I moved in to the batsmen I used to listen hard - to find out what kind of delivery he was going to bowl. If I could hear his feet tip-tapping over the turf I knew he would be well within himself - he would still be quick, mind. But when I couldn't hear him running up I used to look at the batsman and think: 'You're a split second away from trouble, son,' because I knew that Loll was coming in on his toes and he was going to let slip the fastest he'd got.'

Joe Hardstaff Jnr. - Notts. and England

-------------------------------------------------------------

When Leicester take the field against Notts, Harry Smith likes the look of the wicket and tells his skipper: 'S-s-skipper, I think I'll b-b-bounce one or two.' Harry had a bit of a stutter. 'Wait a minute,' says the captain, 'they've got Larwood and Voce.'

'I'll just b-b-bounce one or two,' says Harry. So he bounces one or two and Notts don't like it. Before the end of the day, Leicester go in to bat and Larwood and Voce bowl them over like tin soldiers. Harry soon finds himself at the wicket. Larwood and Voce go for him and he's never seen so many balls bouncing around his ears. Suddenly he gets a touch and Sam Staples catches him at second slip. Harry takes off his gloves and walks. 'Wait a minute,' says Sam, 'it was a bump ball. I didn't catch it!'

'Yes, you b-b-loody-well did,' says Harry, and he's back in the pavilion before you can say Jack Robinson.
--------------------------------------------------------

INTERVIEW

"At the age of 17, I was promoted to the village's first team. Bowling in sandshoes because I didn't own a pair of boots, I sent down 20 overs during the match, even though I'd worked down the mine all the previous night.'

'I remember the game as if it were last week. After a few overs my nose began to bleed. Team mates, men they were , urged me to leave the field. I refused and kept on bowling. Down the mine I reamed of cricket; I bowled imaginery balls in the dark; I sent the stumps spinning and heard them rattling in the tunnels. No mishap was going to stop me from bowling in the real game, especially this one.'

'My nose bled worse than ever, spattering my shirt. I was again advised to go off but I continued to bowl. Then a ball caught the middle stump. My next delivery scattered the incoming batsman's wicket. Although feeling a bit weak by now I got ready for one more, and hit the off stump. It was my first hat-trick.'

'Cricket was my reason for living.'