• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting Cricket/cricketers' Stories !!

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When Fielding Won The Matches

The standing of Australia of 1952/3 was not unlike that of the current Australian team. All the players of the Bradman's team - except the Don himself - were there in the tour to South Africa. They had won 25 out of the 32 tests since 1945. Put to test against them was South Africa. None of Dudley Nourse, Alan Melville, Bruce Mitchell, Eric and Athol Rowan, Tufty Mann or Cuan McCarthy - all good to great players who had served South Africa before and after the war - were to able to make the tour. Indeed, there was major campaign lead by the Louis Duffus, the most eminent among South African cricket writers, that the tour should be cancelled to avoid further defeats and humiliations.

It was well justified. Australia had butchered a much stronger South African team in 1949-50 by four tests to nothing. The last test was lost by an innings and 259 runs, the biggest in SAF history. In the absence of all the major players Jack Cheetham was chosen to lead the team. An slow, stodgy batsman, he had averaged 18.76 in his 9 tests. Going into the series, the career averages of the other players, some of whom were to destined to become great, read thus : In batting McGlew had made 50 runs at 12.50, Waite 152 at 21.71, Endean 38 at 19.00, McLean 138 at 27.60 and Watkins 87 at 14.50. As for bowling Watkins had 3 wkts at 48.00, Melle 12 at 26.66 and Tayfield 17 at 42.70.

This was the team that was to face the Australians among whom were Arthur Morris, Neil Harvey, Colin Macdonald, Lindsay Hassett, Miller, Lindwall, Benaud, Bill Johnston and Ian Johnson.

Cheetham conceded quite early that it would be pointless to try and match the Australians in batting or bowling. So with the aid of his manager Ken Viljoen, he did an informal study on how often were test hundreds chanceless and the answer he received was 'precious few'. That was to be his solution to the Australian question. Cheetham drove his team to intense fielding practices, which started from South Africa and continued through the voyage to Australia. During the long trip, he preached to the diffident players like Tayfield, how good they really were.

South African team was completely written in the early stages of the tour. They lost to New South Wales, and the intense practice actually seemed to increase the number of catches dropped. Everything was going according to the script when Australia won the first test at Sydney.

Then the efforts began to pay off. If there is any single moment which could be pointed out as the beginning of the end for that great Australian team, it would be the second day of the Melbourne test. South Africa made 227 and Australian openers had made nearly 100 when Arthur Morris drove Tayfield into the body of Cheetham at silly point from where it bounced over the head of the bowler. Tayfield turned around, raced after the ball and caught it with a full length drive.

This was made to look like a commonplace thing when Russell Endean caught Miller at the long on boundary. RS Whittington has written how he was looking into the crowd to see someone among them catch the ball. For a few moments nothing happened. Then he saw Endean stand with his back to the rails like a 'miniature Statue of Liberty'. Miller remembered that catch in a recent memoir :

"Endean...what a catch that was, one-handed and jumping up right next to the picket fence. When I hit it, I knew it was going over. How Endean kept his feet I'll never know as in those days the ground sloped down in the last five or six yards. I thought he was going to go !@#$ over @#$. It was just the mightiest catch. I still remember it clearly all these years on."

On that fateful day, four 'impossible' catches were held. Australia was held to 243. Then, maybe not as a coincidence, Endean who had been considered as another ordinary batsman, played the innings of his life. His 162* left Australia to chase 373. Tayfield took 7 wickets and Australia was brought down by 82 runs.

Australia went ahead winning the third test and it came down to final test at Melbourne. Harvey's 205 helped Australia to 520 and South Africa conceded a lead of 85 and were then set 295 to win. When Roy Maclean went out to bat at 191 for 4, Cheetham told him, 'score quickly, but don't take any risks'. 'Don't worry Pop, I'll get 'em for you', came the reply. Maclean was dropped first ball, then scored 76 in 80 minutes and the series was tied.

The historical significance of this series is immense. This was the first series the Australia had failed to win in 14 years. The next year, they lost the Ashes for the first time in 19 years. South Africa had always been a sort of Zimbabwe till this point. Out of this series they were never underdogs again. Following through from here, Cheetham's team defeated New Zealand 4-0 and came back from two tests down to tie England 2-2 only to lose the last test and series in 1955.

smash84

The Tiger King
When Fielding Won The Matches

The standing of Australia of 1952/3 was not unlike that of the current Australian team. All the players of the Bradman's team - except the Don himself - were there in the tour to South Africa. They had won 25 out of the 32 tests since 1945. Put to test against them was South Africa. None of Dudley Nourse, Alan Melville, Bruce Mitchell, Eric and Athol Rowan, Tufty Mann or Cuan McCarthy - all good to great players who had served South Africa before and after the war - were to able to make the tour. Indeed, there was major campaign lead by the Louis Duffus, the most eminent among South African cricket writers, that the tour should be cancelled to avoid further defeats and humiliations.

It was well justified. Australia had butchered a much stronger South African team in 1949-50 by four tests to nothing. The last test was lost by an innings and 259 runs, the biggest in SAF history. In the absence of all the major players Jack Cheetham was chosen to lead the team. An slow, stodgy batsman, he had averaged 18.76 in his 9 tests. Going into the series, the career averages of the other players, some of whom were to destined to become great, read thus : In batting McGlew had made 50 runs at 12.50, Waite 152 at 21.71, Endean 38 at 19.00, McLean 138 at 27.60 and Watkins 87 at 14.50. As for bowling Watkins had 3 wkts at 48.00, Melle 12 at 26.66 and Tayfield 17 at 42.70.

This was the team that was to face the Australians among whom were Arthur Morris, Neil Harvey, Colin Macdonald, Lindsay Hassett, Miller, Lindwall, Benaud, Bill Johnston and Ian Johnson.

Cheetham conceded quite early that it would be pointless to try and match the Australians in batting or bowling. So with the aid of his manager Ken Viljoen, he did an informal study on how often were test hundreds chanceless and the answer he received was 'precious few'. That was to be his solution to the Australian question. Cheetham drove his team to intense fielding practices, which started from South Africa and continued through the voyage to Australia. During the long trip, he preached to the diffident players like Tayfield, how good they really were.

South African team was completely written in the early stages of the tour. They lost to New South Wales, and the intense practice actually seemed to increase the number of catches dropped. Everything was going according to the script when Australia won the first test at Sydney.

Then the efforts began to pay off. If there is any single moment which could be pointed out as the beginning of the end for that great Australian team, it would be the second day of the Melbourne test. South Africa made 227 and Australian openers had made nearly 100 when Arthur Morris drove Tayfield into the body of Cheetham at silly point from where it bounced over the head of the bowler. Tayfield turned around, raced after the ball and caught it with a full length drive.

This was made to look like a commonplace thing when Russell Endean caught Miller at the long on boundary. RS Whittington has written how he was looking into the crowd to see someone among them catch the ball. For a few moments nothing happened. Then he saw Endean stand with his back to the rails like a 'miniature Statue of Liberty'. Miller remembered that catch in a recent memoir :

"Endean...what a catch that was, one-handed and jumping up right next to the picket fence. When I hit it, I knew it was going over. How Endean kept his feet I'll never know as in those days the ground sloped down in the last five or six yards. I thought he was going to go !@#$ over @#$. It was just the mightiest catch. I still remember it clearly all these years on."

On that fateful day, four 'impossible' catches were held. Australia was held to 243. Then, maybe not as a coincidence, Endean who had been considered as another ordinary batsman, played the innings of his life. His 162* left Australia to chase 373. Tayfield took 7 wickets and Australia was brought down by 82 runs.

Australia went ahead winning the third test and it came down to final test at Melbourne. Harvey's 205 helped Australia to 520 and South Africa conceded a lead of 85 and were then set 295 to win. When Roy Maclean went out to bat at 191 for 4, Cheetham told him, 'score quickly, but don't take any risks'. 'Don't worry Pop, I'll get 'em for you', came the reply. Maclean was dropped first ball, then scored 76 in 80 minutes and the series was tied.

The historical significance of this series is immense. This was the first series the Australia had failed to win in 14 years. The next year, they lost the Ashes for the first time in 19 years. South Africa had always been a sort of Zimbabwe till this point. Out of this series they were never underdogs again. Following through from here, Cheetham's team defeated New Zealand 4-0 and came back from two tests down to tie England 2-2 only to lose the last test and series in 1955.
:thumbup:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Some Don stories who else?

Bradman had a horror start as captain. He lost the toss at the 'Gabba,
watched his main strike bowler Ernie McCormick break down and was out
for a duck in the second innings on a sticky wicket. England romped home by 322 runs and won the second Test in Sydney by an innings, rain once again coming to its aid. Bradman made his second successive duck and the critics were not impressed with the scoreboard - England 2, Australia 0 and in grave danger of losing the Ashes. One ewspaper reported that Bradman, the spotlight now focused on him all the time
and his anxiety level full to overflowing, was not getting the loyal support of all his players. McCabe issued a statement saying the players were behind him.

Things turned around for Australia and Bradman in the third Test in Melbourne. With rain a factor for the third time and England batting on a sticky wicket, the shrewd Bradman told his bowlers not to get England out. When Allen declared (too late, as it turned out) towards
the end of play on Saturday, the wicket was still unfriendly. Bradman gambled and opened the second innings with tail-enders Bill O'Reilly and a stunned `Chuck' Fleetwood-Smith.

O?Reilly was out first ball, but Fleetwood-Smith survived, joking that he had the game by the throat.

BY Monday the wicket had lost its fire and, with Bradman back to his fluent best with 270, Australia won. Bradman's improvisation had paid off. This time Allen's captaincy was under fire. He might have clinched the series 3-0 if he had declared England's second innings
sooner and exposed Australia to the damp wicket. Australia won the next two Tests, the captain contributing 212 and 169, to retain the Ashes 3-2 and Bradman had come through his first baptism of fire with his reputation enhanced.
-------------------------------------
In Adelaide against the might of the West Indies Merv Hughes had just completed his highest Test innings of 72 not out, sharing in an 114 run 9th wicket partnership with Dean Jones (216). Hughes was relaxing, towel around his neck, enjoying a cold something and bathing in the kudos of his colleagues for some cavalier, entertaining and ridiculous
batsmanship. Then The Don entered the room. After congratulating Jones on his strokeplay, Bradman cast an eye at the big, sweaty, moustachioed fast bowler, shook his head and said, "It?s a funny game, cricket."
---------------------------------
Michael Parkinson on Don:

There is, for instance, the tale of Bill Black, an off-spin bowler playing for Lithgow, who on a memorable day in 1931 bowled Bradman for 52. The umpire was so excited that when the ball hit Bradman's wicket he called out: "Bill, you've got him."

The ball was mounted and given to Black as proof that he had dismissed
the greatest batsman in the world.

Later that season Don Bradman again played against Black. As the bowler marked out his run, Don said to the wicketkeeper: "What sort of bowler is this fellow?"

The wicketkeeper, a mischief-maker like the rest of his tribe, replied: "Don't you remember this bloke? He bowled you out a few weeks ago and has been boasting about it ever since."

"Is that so?" said Bradman. Two overs later Black pleaded with his skipper to be taken off. Bradman had hit him for 62 runs in two eight-ball overs. He made 100 in three overs and finished with 256,
including 14 sixes and 29 fours.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Several years ago we had a very gifted but somewhat ill-tempered and occasionally lazy cricketer playing for our club. We were batting second in a game and having dismised the opposition cheaply, we were well placed to get a sizeable lead and attempt to win by an innings on day two.

The aforementioned talented hot-head was 50 not out at drinks and, in an attempt to prove whether an incentive based system ought to be brought into the side rather than the usual punitive fines regime, we told him that if he secured his 100 by hitting nothing but sixes we would in turn secure for him a case of his favourite amber liquid.

On hearing the incentive deal, he strode to the wicket after the break about 80 metres ahead of his batting partner and took guard with renewed enthusiasm. The enthusiasm continued until he was caught one-handed on the boundary for 98 - his last 48 runs having come in sixes. This was, as you might appreciate, the cause of great mirth to his team mates as we had got to see some great hitting, saved ourselves the cost of a case of beer and had something about which we could genuinely pour **** on him.

The laughter continued when he walked off the field and proceeded to hurl the bat over the pavilion in disgust, however, the team mate who was laughing loudest ceased to do so when it dawned on him that he had loaned the bloke his bat for the day.

Good times.

harsh.ag

For the fields of Johannesburg
- Richard Grant

I was flipping through channels today and came across Sky Sports just as a replay of Kevin Pietersen playing a delightful cut shot came up. The point fielder flew sideways spectacularly but unsuccessfully, and the ball raced off the green to cross the ropes. This replay was a view from the mid-wicket camera. At that moment, for some reason, I was deeply reminded of why I love cricket. It is beautiful.

For the past few years, I guess that has somehow become lost on me. Perhaps because of a hectic life, perhaps because of no trips to the wanderers in the last 4 years, or perhaps because my favorite players have all retired. I guess all the little things add up so I don't enjoy the sport as I used to earlier.

That shot, however, brought back some memories of my childhood. I have always been partial to the cut stroke. Playing school cricket in Johannesburg was a delight in the green fields, with us dressed in white, trying to be graceful in stroke play. It was always a challenge to get past the point fielder, and I was caught numerous times by this one fellow who was lightning quick. I have some fond memories of the days the ball went past him on a regular basis.

There is a part of me which heartily dislikes sloppy or uninspired fielding. It takes all the glory and pride and joy out of batting, out of the process of cricket. That part of me, perhaps, lies in the green fields of Johannesburg.

smash84

The Tiger King
Taslim Arif was primarily a glovesman and not in the class of Wasim Bari apparently so he couldn't make the cut

Pakistan didn't have a severe shortage of batsmen at that time. It was the bowlers who were needed

harsh.ag

Ted Dexter tells a story about Ken Barrington and Charlie Griffith

We were 1-2 down in the series in ‘63, we went to The Oval, and Kenny Barrington came into the dressing room and goes, “I’m fed up with all this ducking and diving, I AM gonna hook these guys!”

So we said (chortling voice) “Really Kenny, we’re looking forward to seeing you do it.”

I get out early. In goes Kenny, so we’re all on the balcony, watching.

Charlie bowls a short one, Kenny smacks it to the leg boundary. Charlie comes and staaaaares at him.

Next ball, he’s halfway through the hook shot, gets a top edge, flies over, one bounce, smashes into the sight screen, and Kenny goes a little white.

The next ball with him, now what happens. Kenny is halfway through the pull stroke, and the ball hits him, the yorker hits him smack on the toe. It cleans out leg stump, cleans out middle stump.

Kenny throws his bat away. He’s now taking off his gloves. He is hopping on one foot, trying to get a hold of his toe. So, eventually he has to go pick up his bat, pick up his gloves, and walk off, and we’re waiting for him in the dressing room.

So nobody says a word. Kenny sits down. “Perhaps that wasn’t a very good idea”, he says.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The odd thing about that is that Dexter was batting at the other end throughout Barrington's innings at the Oval in 1963 - you'd think he'd remember that, because if anything the closer view he'd've had makes it a better story.

And apart from that, it could well be pretty accurate - Wisden report says "Barrington enjoyed one glorious over immediately after lunch when he hooked the short stuff from Griffith for 15, but Worrell tendered some fatherly advice to Griffith who then concentrated on a fuller length"