Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Interesting Cricket/cricketers' Stories !!

Taslim Arif was primarily a glovesman and not in the class of Wasim Bari apparently so he couldn't make the cut

Pakistan didn't have a severe shortage of batsmen at that time. It was the bowlers who were needed
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

U19 Cricketer
    OverratedSanity likes this.

Ted Dexter tells a story about Ken Barrington and Charlie Griffith

We were 1-2 down in the series in ‘63, we went to The Oval, and Kenny Barrington came into the dressing room and goes, “I’m fed up with all this ducking and diving, I AM gonna hook these guys!”

So we said (chortling voice) “Really Kenny, we’re looking forward to seeing you do it.”

I get out early. In goes Kenny, so we’re all on the balcony, watching.

Charlie bowls a short one, Kenny smacks it to the leg boundary. Charlie comes and staaaaares at him.

Next ball, he’s halfway through the hook shot, gets a top edge, flies over, one bounce, smashes into the sight screen, and Kenny goes a little white.

The next ball with him, now what happens. Kenny is halfway through the pull stroke, and the ball hits him, the yorker hits him smack on the toe. It cleans out leg stump, cleans out middle stump.

Kenny throws his bat away. He’s now taking off his gloves. He is hopping on one foot, trying to get a hold of his toe. So, eventually he has to go pick up his bat, pick up his gloves, and walk off, and we’re waiting for him in the dressing room.

So nobody says a word. Kenny sits down. “Perhaps that wasn’t a very good idea”, he says.
    Daemon likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

U19 Vice-Captain
    The odd thing about that is that Dexter was batting at the other end throughout Barrington's innings at the Oval in 1963 - you'd think he'd remember that, because if anything the closer view he'd've had makes it a better story.

And apart from that, it could well be pretty accurate - Wisden report says "Barrington enjoyed one glorious over immediately after lunch when he hooked the short stuff from Griffith for 15, but Worrell tendered some fatherly advice to Griffith who then concentrated on a fuller length"

A probably a bit extra elbow as well, which would help explain why Barrington didn't pick it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    On a bad day, Broad takes no wickets. Asif's bad days tend to be spent in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Holding
    I've always liked the option of having two balls. Cricket balls, that is.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information