• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batting Average 1st class

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I really wish they'd show that more often, instead of using the silly restrictions they use... if people want it to a reasonable degree, I'm sure there are stats-engines they can use.
I've never found-out who's actually got the highest Test-match average.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
Excluding those who never got out, the highest average is 112.00 by West Indian wicketkeeper Andy Ganteaume who made 112 on debut against England in 1947/48 but was then dropped and never played again.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
I really wish they'd show that more often, instead of using the silly restrictions they use... if people want it to a reasonable degree, I'm sure there are stats-engines they can use.
Andy Ganteaume

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
Excluding those who never got out, the highest average is 112.00 by West Indian wicketkeeper Andy Ganteaume who made 112 on debut against England in 1947/48 but was then dropped and never played again.
Sorry, but I once read a scribbled report from someone whose great uncle (who incidentally had lost his wife to an affair with Ganteaume) was at the game.

He said that Ganteaume was dropped 5 times before he got off the mark and was plumb LBW 17 times in the first hour, so Ganteaume's actual average can be scaled down to -6, the only incidence of a negative average in Test history!

a massive zebra

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Sorry, but I once read a scribbled report from someone whose great uncle (who incidentally had lost his wife to an affair with Ganteaume) was at the game.

He said that Ganteaume was dropped 5 times before he got off the mark and was plumb LBW 17 times in the first hour, so Ganteaume's actual average can be scaled down to -6, the only incidence of a negative average in Test history!
Hehehe...:laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:

17 times lbw and not given out? Sounds like the great uncle was angry at the inning.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:

yer...a uncle for a cousin who was a mate of the sister of him...right marc. sounds realy crappy.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not entirely convinced that Mr Robbins senior is a genuine person, but maybe I'm just being excessively cynical?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:

And I many times said that a single report is not neccesarily a reliable account of an innings, especially when you take account of biases that you learn to spot in certain writers.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And I many times said that a single report is not neccesarily a reliable account of an innings, especially when you take account of biases that you learn to spot in certain writers.
No surprise there - even after other people have made the error and been corrected, Richard still doesn't realise it's a joke and responds in a serious fashion.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err - no, I just realise that it was a joke made with very, very obvious meaning, which you'd know if you'd read myself and marc's many correspondances where he's insisted that without seeing something you have no authority to comment on it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
Err - no, I just realise that it was a joke made with very, very obvious meaning, which you'd know if you'd read myself and marc's many correspondances where he's insisted that without seeing something you have no authority to comment on it.
I just find it funny that you never seem to laugh at a joke, but rather respond with a semmingly serious comment that analyses every word in the post... :happy: