• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players represent country or an association?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Board's submission in the Supreme Court that the players represented BCCI and not India in international tournaments was made some time back.

I was a bit shocked by it as I thought the players always took pride in playing for their country and not the BCCI or MCC or ACB(Cricket Australia now) for international matches.

We cheer because they are representing India or Australia; not the BCCI or MCC

*confused*

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Board's submission in the Supreme Court that the players represented BCCI and not India in international tournaments was made some time back.

I was a bit shocked by it as I thought the players always took pride in playing for their country and not the BCCI or MCC or ACB(Cricket Australia now) for international matches.

We cheer because they are representing India or Australia; not the BCCI or MCC

*confused*
The law only has a tenuous connection with reality, rather as the debates of epistemologists usually lead to conclusions which would be pretty absurd if you tried to act on them, even if the theory ends up being consistent.

Legally speaking, the Indian cricket team is only a team put together by the BCCI, just as the ECB puts together an England team. That everybody accepts them as the legitimate national team and cheers for or against them on that basis is simply social convention, although a very powerful one.

In legal terms, "representing India" is probably equivalent to being endorsed by the Indian government as their plenipotentiary representatives, and it is probably the case that the Indian government would be most unhappy at being held responsible for the actions of an Indian cricketer on tour.

Cheers,

Mike