• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sos.

brockley

International Captain
Please write to cricket Australia and lobby them to recall the Canberra Comets to Australias’ domestic competition ,if enough people contact Cricket Australia, Cricket Australia may relent and readmit the Canberra comets.

Dear Cricket Australia
James Sutherland
60 Jolimont street
Victoria 3002
Australia

I am writing on behalf of other Canberra comet fans at the decision to cut the Canberra Comets 3 years ago.
Am also seeking the likelihood of when or if the Canberra Comets will be readmitted to the ING cup and be included in the Pura cup whether on apart time or full time basis.
The Canberra Comets coached by Michael veletta and the side chaired by Gary Goodman won 2 out of 7 games in their 2nd year and won 1 game in its 3rd year. Considering its progress at that point and the loss of stars like Mark Higgs, Brad Haddin, Staurt Karpinin, Jason Voros and Lee Hansen to other states ,the Comets still proved to be competitive. Since their demise they have provided a lot of players for other states, more noteably to Tasmania and South Australia of late.
Canberra has proven to be a great producing area for state and international cricketers, and as such deserves promotion like the way the Western Force has in the Super 14 rugby Union competition.
Tasmania For many years played state cricket intermittingly and were given promotion to the Gillette cup in 1969/70,part time first class status in 1977/78 and full status in 1982/83.Shoulden’t Cricket Australia follow the same Tasmanian precedent and guide the Canberra comets in a process that mirrors the same promotional format.
With the standard of youth cricket , The Cricket Academy ,the standard of country cricket and the Cricket Australia cup ,cannot this give Cricket Australia a surplus of talent.
A new revamped Canberra Comets side could be used to bring this talent through more quickly into first class competition.
The Canberra Comets could be ;
1 combined with the Northern territory side’
2 Have Cricket Academy players spend an apprenticeship year at the Comets’
3 Use a loan scheme which is used in English county cricket to acquire players to fill spots in the team,
4 be accorded the same funding arrangements as the other states so they can sign the very best players , like what the Western Force is presently doing.
5 Be made to play 2 mandatory overseas players.
If the Canberra Comets were treated as a consortium rather than as a development side which they were, then they could be fully competitive in no time.
I feel Cricket Australia failed the Canberra Comets by cutting them 3 years ago ,by not producing enough financial assistance to the team or necessary framework or future ,which Canberra does now not have. Also Cricket Australia was bullied by greedy and paranoid state teams ,and by not putting the heavy coffers of Cricket Australia has to develop the Canberra Comets financially and structurally, the structure of the Canberra side has gone so low they have no coach or recogniseable chair anymore.
The fact the Canberra comets is regularly producing first class cricketers and has a booming population where as Tasmania who has the same population which is reducing in size ,questions why Tasmania is included ahead of the Canberra Comets in the state based competition Canberra is also located close to the south coast ,the Riverina and the Western region of New South Wales, which means the Comets can call on talent from those regions.
I have put my case strongly ,and so I ask the question when will the Canberra Comets be re admitted into the Australian domestic competition.
Yours sincerely Stephen Brown
PS I am not alone in my thoughts.

archie mac

International Coach
brockley said:
Please write to cricket Australia and lobby them to recall the Canberra Comets to Australias’ domestic competition ,if enough people contact Cricket Australia, Cricket Australia may relent and readmit the Canberra comets.

Dear Cricket Australia
James Sutherland
60 Jolimont street
Victoria 3002
Australia

I am writing on behalf of other Canberra comet fans at the decision to cut the Canberra Comets 3 years ago.
Am also seeking the likelihood of when or if the Canberra Comets will be readmitted to the ING cup and be included in the Pura cup whether on apart time or full time basis.
The Canberra Comets coached by Michael veletta and the side chaired by Gary Goodman won 2 out of 7 games in their 2nd year and won 1 game in its 3rd year. Considering its progress at that point and the loss of stars like Mark Higgs, Brad Haddin, Staurt Karpinin, Jason Voros and Lee Hansen to other states ,the Comets still proved to be competitive. Since their demise they have provided a lot of players for other states, more noteably to Tasmania and South Australia of late.
Canberra has proven to be a great producing area for state and international cricketers, and as such deserves promotion like the way the Western Force has in the Super 14 rugby Union competition.
Tasmania For many years played state cricket intermittingly and were given promotion to the Gillette cup in 1969/70,part time first class status in 1977/78 and full status in 1982/83.Shoulden’t Cricket Australia follow the same Tasmanian precedent and guide the Canberra comets in a process that mirrors the same promotional format.
With the standard of youth cricket , The Cricket Academy ,the standard of country cricket and the Cricket Australia cup ,cannot this give Cricket Australia a surplus of talent.
A new revamped Canberra Comets side could be used to bring this talent through more quickly into first class competition.
The Canberra Comets could be ;
1 combined with the Northern territory side’
2 Have Cricket Academy players spend an apprenticeship year at the Comets’
3 Use a loan scheme which is used in English county cricket to acquire players to fill spots in the team,
4 be accorded the same funding arrangements as the other states so they can sign the very best players , like what the Western Force is presently doing.
5 Be made to play 2 mandatory overseas players.
If the Canberra Comets were treated as a consortium rather than as a development side which they were, then they could be fully competitive in no time.
I feel Cricket Australia failed the Canberra Comets by cutting them 3 years ago ,by not producing enough financial assistance to the team or necessary framework or future ,which Canberra does now not have. Also Cricket Australia was bullied by greedy and paranoid state teams ,and by not putting the heavy coffers of Cricket Australia has to develop the Canberra Comets financially and structurally, the structure of the Canberra side has gone so low they have no coach or recogniseable chair anymore.
The fact the Canberra comets is regularly producing first class cricketers and has a booming population where as Tasmania who has the same population which is reducing in size ,questions why Tasmania is included ahead of the Canberra Comets in the state based competition Canberra is also located close to the south coast ,the Riverina and the Western region of New South Wales, which means the Comets can call on talent from those regions.
I have put my case strongly ,and so I ask the question when will the Canberra Comets be re admitted into the Australian domestic competition.
Yours sincerely Stephen Brown
PS I am not alone in my thoughts.
Maybe you can start a petition I will sign it.

brockley

International Captain
Thanx archie,dunno how to start a internet petition,if you can pass one on i will pass it to other forums,my aim here is to get lots of people to write and lobby james sutherland,thanx for the support anyway,it will highlight to people how the comets were dudded.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually I agree with this. Everyone talks about the player strength and lack of it with the Comets but as soon as any player showed some genuine promise, they were poached by other sides. Then they were dumped, highly unfair.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The part of that proposal that I most appeals is the international players. Maybe co-ordinate with the academies from overseas?

brockley

International Captain
Well vic tassie used overseas pros right to the early 90's to help them settle into the competition,and i am sure we could get some top notch pros for the comets from england to fill the spot or from the west indies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, if they are brought back, it must be in BOTH the ING Cup and the Pura Cup.

If they only play in the ING Cup, players will opt to go elsewhere to have an opportunity to play First Class cricket as well, and the Comets will fail as they did the first time.

brockley

International Captain
A'greed prince maybe the comets play each state once in pura and ing cup,so do an apprenticeship like tassie did,this will ensure they keep decent players and when they get established they can play full season.You can start the season earlier maybe late september and maybe play the shield final in april.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
The part of that proposal that I most appeals is the international players. Maybe co-ordinate with the academies from overseas?
You could have something from New Zealand.. i know a lot of promising cricketers would be happy to come across , it doesnt cost much, and the lifestyle is typically the same.. and they would been keen to start of to make a mark.. i know i would be more than happy to play for a new side.. tell canberra to get in touch with me :p

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yep i want them back too, it would also give the other teams 2 extra FC and OD games a year which gives the domestic season abit more :)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Think about this peple. Why are cricket Austraila and Canberra Cricket Association going to fund a team that do not develop there own players?? By the look of that letter and the comments that follow people are expecting to get 8 players from outside the country or region to play for them. I think playing sport at a high level is about pride. Ok money does have a lot to do with it but if you don't have the pride for that team then you won't do as well. There are outside plaayer restrictions in every club/county/state team. You can't just full a team with whoever you want

brockley

International Captain
Lord australia always bauks at close relations with the nzc always has,shame tho.
Tamara look at some sides they are always looking to recuit players like tassie ,south australia,vics and wa.Only qld and NSW rely on local talent alone.I am not talking 8 players btw,would fill in for the players nicked from canberra tho in the past.
Don't agree with the talk of our competition being weak,as opposed to what,other countries,other eras,sure the 70's was good but international players played more shield back then.I actually think the standard is strong as is always has been,even when canberra was playing,no team was weakened by canberra being there.
Look at the closeness of results this year.