• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Academy side named for Australian tournament

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't posted in a while, but I didn't realise the NZ Academy was set to play a series of matches in Australia against an Australian Academy & Indian selection side.

The NZ team is:

Jacob Oram (captain, Central Districts) Graeme Aldridge (Northern Districts), Todd Astle (Canterbury), Shane Bond (Canterbury), Te Ahu Davis (Northern Districts), Derek De Boorder (Auckland), Peter Fulton (Canterbury), Bruce Martin (Northern Districts), Michael Papps (Canterbury), Jeetan Patel (Wellington), Jesse Ryder (Wellington), Hayden Shaw (Canterbury), Ross Taylor (Central Districts).

I think the two most noticeable or key inclusions are those of Oram & Bond. Interesting that Jamie How isn't in the squad, but it's odds on he'll be with the NZ 'A' team when they travel to Sri Lanka anyway.

Surprisingly they've selected De Boorder (19), Davis (19) & Astle (18) (who is related to Nathan). Astle in particular has a big future for NZ if he can live up to his billing as an opening batsman & front-line leg-spinner.

Apparently there is going to be a series of one-dayers & 20/20 matches followed by a few 3 day matches. The series will get under way in early to mid July.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
am so happy to see that oram and bond are making a return to cricket. I think it would be a wicked experience for the young guys like astle, davis an de boorder to play with oram and bond, as they will probably learn a lot from them.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's good to see Jesse Ryder back in the fold. It would have been a great shame if probably our biggest talent in years had faded away.

Let's hope they open with him in the one-dayers because I think his natural game is going after the bowling rather than play a more structured innings at 4 or 5.

brockley

International Captain
Thats virtually a NZ A squad tim,3 0r 4 internations in that team,the aussie academy squad has maybe 3 or 4 players who have played first class cricket in the side,should be great experience for our boys,btw is it played in new zealand the series.
I reckon this series is due to martin sneddan putting on australia to play more junior cricket with new zealand.
Would be interested to know who is in the indian squad.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The tournament is in Brisbane. There is no way you could play cricket here in July.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Whos the keeper?

Whats the point wasting all of this time of papps, he is nothing more than a very good New Zealand journey man. When ever he plays quality opposition he gets made to look stupid.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
The tournament is in Brisbane. There is no way you could play cricket here in July.
Cricket in July in Australia that should be interesting, you would think that most of the cricket grounds will be been used for AFL, Rugby League or Union.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
De Boorder is the other keeper. Was one of the highest run scorers in Auckland club cricket last season.

southern man

U19 Cricketer
But knowing Auckland he will stay around in club cricket for many years, before buggering off playing for another province and making a huge affect as soon as he plays. But after playing for that other province for 5 or 6 seasons, and nearing reirement Auckland decide they will want him back, so they sign another 30 year old Auckland expat.

brockley

International Captain
Ok tim centre of excellence that would be the allan border oval then,its 2nd to the gabba in brisbane.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
From what i've heard and read from the Academy, they are hugely keen on Todd Astle. It's not often they will select an 18 year old, even for an Academy series. I think they've only done that before with Jesse Ryder.

He's an aggressive opening batsman (much like Nathan) and apparently he has a lot of potential with his leg-spin.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It is largely an NZ 'A' side, but it's still missing the likes of Jamie How, Andre Adams, Daryl Tuffey, Ian Butler, Craig McMillan etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Cricket in July in Australia that should be interesting, you would think that most of the cricket grounds will be been used for AFL, Rugby League or Union.
They'll play it all at Allan Border Field, which is reserved for cricket all year round and is owned by Cricket Australia, as far as i know.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
It is largely an NZ 'A' side, but it's still missing the likes of Jamie How, Andre Adams, Daryl Tuffey, Ian Butler, Craig McMillan etc.
Hehe..."Craig McMillan" and "NZ A side" has a nice ring to it wouldn't you agree? :D

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Wasn't Te Ahu Davis injured for most of last season? How is he coming along with that?

And if I remember correctly Derek de Boorder scored a double century for Auckland under 13s a couple of years ago...there's a hell of a lot of talent there.

shaka

International Regular
Bond and Oram are going to be making a comeback here, will be good to see how both perform.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
anyone know the exact dates. because i am over in brisbane on the 12th July - 19th July. Would be really good if they were still playing and i could catch a game or two