• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why subcontinental bowlers get picked for chucking

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Harbhajan raised it yesterday and Gavaskar has given some explanation

On row over suspect bowling action, Gavaskar said players like Harbhajan Singh, Mutaiah Murlidharan and Shoaib Akhtar came under the scanner because of variety of balls bowlers from the sub-continent are able to bowl.

Among other countries, only Shane Warne has the variety, he added

Okay most people must have an opinion on this although not so drastic as Gavaskar's.

I do believe the conspiracy theories are pretty rubbish.

dro87

U19 12th Man
They get picked, cos there action is suspect... Kirtley and Lee have been accused of chucking... and they don't have variation...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I dunno. Saqlain has (or had) as much variation as Harbhajan or Murali & I can't ever recall his action being reported as suspect.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Saqlain has (or had) as much variation as Harbhajan or Murali & I can't ever recall his action being reported as suspect
He made sure he that he always wore full sleeves while bowling ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If you ask me, Glenn McGrath has a hell of a lot more variation than Shoaib. On top of the usual outswingers and seamers, he has a big leg-cutter, an excellent slower ball, can reverse swing it, and has a quality bouncer. Shoaib's style doesn't allow for anywhere near as much variation. He just doesn't happen to have a suspect action.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think with Shoaib (& Lee too) that it's their "effort" ball for bouncers or when they really bend their backs that can look a little iffy.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
It just doesn't look suspect.
Right... meaning that it isn't suspect.

sus·pect ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-spkt)
v. sus·pect·ed, sus·pect·ing, sus·pects
v. tr.
To surmise to be true or probable; imagine: I suspect they are very disappointed.
To have doubts about; distrust: I suspect his motives.
To think (a person) guilty without proof: The police suspect her of murder.

Scallywag

Banned
The chucking controversy

‘We are fair in dealing with all our members,' says Mani

Cricinfo staff

May 12, 2005
Ehsan Mani: 'We don't fear or favour anyone'

The International Cricket Council has denied reports that they were biased towards subcontinental players with regard to scrutinising bowling actions. Ehsan Mani, the ICC president, has countered those allegations and said that the ICC has always been unbiased while dealing with the chucking issue.

"We are pretty fair in dealing with all our members and the question of targeting a player of an particular country doesn't arise at all," Mani told The Khaleej Times. "The new rule which allows a bowler to straighten his arm up to 15 degrees is working well. The old laws effectively allowed spinners to legally straighten their arms by five degrees. The measurement was set at 7.5 degrees for medium pacers and 10 for fast bowlers.

"However, the ICC found those measurements was all-undetectable to the naked eye so they recommended the levels be standardised at 15 degrees, the first point at which it is visible to the naked eye."

Bowlers like Muttiah Muralitharan, Harbhajan Singh, Shoaib Akhtar and Shoaib Malik, all from the subcontinent, were been reported for having a suspect bowling action, but Mani insisted that the umpires hadn't got it wrong while reporting these players. "Shoaib Malik was cleared only when he completely changed his action," he said. "I am glad that he remodelled his action and is now allowed to bowl."

© Cricinfo

King_Ponting

International Regular
The reason why all of these bowlers were reported is because it looks as if they are chucking it when viewn with the naked eye, and according to this new 15 degree law, a chuck, because that is the bendage visable to the naked eye. Other bowlers look like they bowl the ball not chuck it and hence have never been reported.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I dunno. Saqlain has (or had) as much variation as Harbhajan or Murali & I can't ever recall his action being reported as suspect.
iffy is a understatement, :huh: they look like javelin throwers especially Akhtar

Scallywag

Banned
Sub continental players are not picked on for chucking, its just any time a subcontinental player is scrutinised for any reason the lame old "its because he is from the subcontinent" excuse is trotted out.

dinu23

International Debutant
King_Ponting said:
The reason why all of these bowlers were reported is because it looks as if they are chucking it when viewn with the naked eye, and according to this new 15 degree law, a chuck, because that is the bendage visable to the naked eye. Other bowlers look like they bowl the ball not chuck it and hence have never been reported.
what about Mills? he looks like he's chucking and he's never been reported?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think amongst the offies, only the subcontinental guys try the doosra and it is obvious that to bowl the doosra, there must be some flexion... The point is whether it is within the allowed limit. I think Akhtar and Lee and anyone who bowls at their pace will probably have a bit of flexion as well... I don't think it has anything to do with racial bias or with variety in bowling. It is just that there are no other really good offies around the world and the ones that are around cannot bowl the doosra. Only the subcontinental guys do that, and since they do flex their elbows, their actions are always suspect, as the degrees cannot be worked out by the naked eye.

Deja moo

International Captain
Its plain obvious that Saqlain, Harbhajan, Murali, Malik etc arent from the sub continent.

As some of the distinguished members of the forum (scaly piscine, scally etc) have proven conclusively on many occasions, the ICC is clearly biased in favour of the sub continent. And because these respected members are never wrong, it clearly follows that the bowlers mentioned before must have non sub continental roots, and are being punished for their impure non subcontinental lineage.