Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why subcontinental bowlers get picked for chucking

Harbhajan might just like to get in the papers for something....

Seeing is the law is now clearer than before, supposedly.

Harbhajan has said why his action should be reviewed continuously when it i reviewed earlier. That to me is ridiculous.

Hexxagon Champion!
    In that case, its not his complaining thats ridiculous, but rather the system itself. Its obvious that a system that forces a bowler to undergo tests every month is a stupid one. Harbhajans claims are justified.
    Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja moo
    In that case, its not his complaining thats ridiculous, but rather the system itself. Its obvious that a system that forces a bowler to undergo tests every month is a stupid one. Harbhajans claims are justified.
    Not necessarily. If the bowler changes his action from the earlier tested and the action is found suspect ten it has to be very much verified again.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Not necessarily. If the bowler changes his action from the earlier tested and the action is found suspect ten it has to be very much verified again.
    He could be called even if his action hasnt been changed. The umpire who called him the second time wasnt present while the biomechanics were evaluating his action the first time around. So what prevents him from falling prey to the same illusion that the bowler chucks as the first umpire who called him previously did? This basically means that any x number of umpires could keep calling him again and again just because his action might only look like a throw.

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Only difference being is Murali chucks and McGrath bowls, other than that they are the same.

how very true

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    No, meaning that it isn't under suspicion. You can still be guilty even if you're not suspected of it. McGrath and others are as guilty as Murali and co.
    You misunderstand. What I'm trying to say is, the reason Shoaib was reported and McGrath wasn't had nothing to do with variation, but because Shoaib has a suspect action (ie: one which appears to have a noticable degree of flexion), and McGrath does not.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    You misunderstand. What I'm trying to say is, the reason Shoaib was reported and McGrath wasn't had nothing to do with variation, but because Shoaib has a suspect action (ie: one which appears to have a noticable degree of flexion), and McGrath does not.
    You're right, my misunderstanding.

C_C
    Sub continental players are not picked on for chucking, its just any time a subcontinental player is scrutinised for any reason the lame old "its because he is from the subcontinent" excuse is trotted out.
    Which is why Brett Lee, despite having a very suspect-looking action has never actually had to take a biomechaics test, right ?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Which is why Brett Lee, despite having a very suspect-looking action has never actually had to take a biomechaics test, right ?
    Lee was reported to the ICC, his action was reivewed by a panel of appointed judges and was cleared. This has happened to many other bowlers. As far as I am aware, Shoaib never underwent a "biomechanics test" in the same way that Harbhajan or Murali did either, his action was reviewed, he did some remedial work and he was cleared.

C_C
    Lee was reported to the ICC, his action was reivewed by a panel of appointed judges and was cleared. This has happened to many other bowlers. As far as I am aware, Shoaib never underwent a "biomechanics test" in the same way that Harbhajan or Murali did either, his action was reviewed, he did some remedial work and he was cleared.
    I am pretty sure that Shoaib had to take a biomechanics test while M&M came to Lee's rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    The law is damn clear now and I dont know why Harbhajan is crying over it
    Harbhajan is a whinger. He was on a TV reality programme about customs officials here, moaning and complaining that he was going to be fined because he hadn't cleaned his boots properly. He announced in a surly tone that he was never coming back to New Zealand again.

Fine by me, Harby.

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    I am pretty sure that Shoaib had to take a biomechanics test while M&M came to Lee's rescue.
    Early in his career, Lee's action for the bouncer was definitely suspect - it was the equivalent of a javelin throw.

As a result, he was reported and took remedial action with Dennis Lillee, Michael Holding and others. I could be mistaken, but I dont think the computerised testing procedures had even been adopted at the time.

But, to be fair to him, his action is now totally different - much more upright and side-on.

With the naked eye - waits for the chorus of objections - it does not look remotely suspect now.

Shoaib, on the other hand, has been reported on quite a few occasions.

BTW, is it just me or does anyone else think that the footage shown of bowlers' actions undertaking bio-mechanical testing is more reminiscent of bowling a tennis ball in the back-garden than the stress of actual match conditions.

As Ive said before, the whole issue of chucking really has become farcical. With the latest rules, they should just let everyone bowl and forget about the whole thing.
    Last edited by social; 13-05-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Another unfortunate aspect of the new rules has been that several respected Australian coaches have declared that they intend sending young spinners back to the drawing board to get more "flex" in their actions as this would potentially allow them to "bowl" with more variety and still be within the rules.

It's a sad day when cricket coaches are openly declaring their intention to teach young bowlers to "chuck."

C_C
    With the naked eye - waits for the chorus of objections - it does not look remotely suspect now.
    *starts the chorus of objection*

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information