• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why subcontinental bowlers get picked for chucking

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
King_Ponting said:
Hahaha sub continetal bias???? Have u read my posts on Muralitiran??? or the like. If anything im a biast Aussie... lol

Sarcasm ..... wit ...... lowest form thereof

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Right... meaning that it isn't suspect.

sus·pect ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-spkt)
v. sus·pect·ed, sus·pect·ing, sus·pects
v. tr.
To surmise to be true or probable; imagine: I suspect they are very disappointed.
To have doubts about; distrust: I suspect his motives.
To think (a person) guilty without proof: The police suspect her of murder.
No, meaning that it isn't under suspicion. You can still be guilty even if you're not suspected of it. McGrath and others are as guilty as Murali and co.

Scallywag

Banned
Dasa said:
No, meaning that it isn't under suspicion. You can still be guilty even if you're not suspected of it. McGrath and others are as guilty as Murali and co.
Only difference being is Murali chucks and McGrath bowls, other than that they are the same.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Only difference being is Murali chucks and McGrath bowls, other than that they are the same.
According to the ICC, Both Chuck, Sarwan probably is the only one among current bowlers who doesn't chuck.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
To Quote Angus Fraser :-

"...The committee found that many much-admired current bowlers are "chuckers", that is bowling deliveries that are illegal under existing rules, these include Glenn McGrath, Shaun Pollock, Stephen Harmison and Allan Donald.... "

dinu23

International Debutant
Scallywag said:
they both chuck mate. they may not have the same degree of flex, but they both chuck (includeing 99% other bowlers).

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
The law is damn clear now and I dont know why Harbhajan is crying over it
He is annoyed at the delay by the ICC in constituting the panel which will evaluate him, thus denying him the chance of signing a contract with a county. The rules spoke of 21 days for the panel to be put in place from the date of the bowler being called. IIRC, its been more than a month.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Harbhajan might just like to get in the papers for something....

Seeing is the law is now clearer than before, supposedly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Harbhajan has said why his action should be reviewed continuously when it i reviewed earlier. That to me is ridiculous.

Deja moo

International Captain
In that case, its not his complaining thats ridiculous, but rather the system itself. Its obvious that a system that forces a bowler to undergo tests every month is a stupid one. Harbhajans claims are justified.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Deja moo said:
In that case, its not his complaining thats ridiculous, but rather the system itself. Its obvious that a system that forces a bowler to undergo tests every month is a stupid one. Harbhajans claims are justified.
Not necessarily. If the bowler changes his action from the earlier tested and the action is found suspect ten it has to be very much verified again.

Deja moo

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Not necessarily. If the bowler changes his action from the earlier tested and the action is found suspect ten it has to be very much verified again.
He could be called even if his action hasnt been changed. The umpire who called him the second time wasnt present while the biomechanics were evaluating his action the first time around. So what prevents him from falling prey to the same illusion that the bowler chucks as the first umpire who called him previously did? This basically means that any x number of umpires could keep calling him again and again just because his action might only look like a throw.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
You misunderstand. What I'm trying to say is, the reason Shoaib was reported and McGrath wasn't had nothing to do with variation, but because Shoaib has a suspect action (ie: one which appears to have a noticable degree of flexion), and McGrath does not.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
You misunderstand. What I'm trying to say is, the reason Shoaib was reported and McGrath wasn't had nothing to do with variation, but because Shoaib has a suspect action (ie: one which appears to have a noticable degree of flexion), and McGrath does not.
You're right, my misunderstanding.

C_C

International Captain
Sub continental players are not picked on for chucking, its just any time a subcontinental player is scrutinised for any reason the lame old "its because he is from the subcontinent" excuse is trotted out.
Which is why Brett Lee, despite having a very suspect-looking action has never actually had to take a biomechaics test, right ?
8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Which is why Brett Lee, despite having a very suspect-looking action has never actually had to take a biomechaics test, right ?
8-)
Lee was reported to the ICC, his action was reivewed by a panel of appointed judges and was cleared. This has happened to many other bowlers. As far as I am aware, Shoaib never underwent a "biomechanics test" in the same way that Harbhajan or Murali did either, his action was reviewed, he did some remedial work and he was cleared.