Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco
    Richard Hadlee - The Great New Zealand Disappointment

Much has been made of his prowess with the ball, however there are some alarming statistics that counter the many claims of brilliance. For example:

Did you know that in his first 3 full test matches Richard Hadlee averaged 119.66 runs per wicket? That's right! In an alarming 3.48837% of all the matches he played in his career he averaged greater than 115 runs per wicket. If we take the 3.48837% and call it the 'Golden Years', it's fair to suggest that anything lying outside this period must indeed be treated as an anomaly, and therefore struck from the record. In stats terms we'll refer to the other 96.5 odd percent of his career as 'extreme variables' - lying outside the reasonable area of expectancy given the results in these three Tests and therefore struck from the record.

Hadlee was a one trick pony, and I implore you not to let the fact that he performed the trick 431 times at an average of 22.29 fool you into thinking otherwise! In his fifth last test he took 2/132...and as the old saying goes - "You're only as good as your fifth last test!".

That makes Hadlee as good as someone who took 2 wickets at an average of 66! Geoffrey Boycott has a test bowling average of 54.57; Mark Taylor - 26.00; Allan Border 39.10.

Read it and weep Richard Hadlee...you were a disgrace to the art of bowling!

Over to you SJS...
    I am promoting you to chief statistical analyst after that performance

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    Prove that Muttiah muralithiran is a crap bowler

Quote Originally Posted by King_Ponting
    Thats easy.

He averages over 100 in Australia.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Much has been made of his prowess with the ball, however there are some alarming statistics that counter the many claims of brilliance. For example:

Did you know that in his first 3 full test matches Richard Hadlee averaged 119.66 runs per wicket? That's right! In an alarming 3.48837% of all the matches he played in his career he averaged greater than 115 runs per wicket. If we take the 3.48837% and call it the 'Golden Years', it's fair to suggest that anything lying outside this period must indeed be treated as an anomaly, and therefore struck from the record. In stats terms we'll refer to the other 96.5 odd percent of his career as 'extreme variables' - lying outside the reasonable area of expectancy given the results in these three Tests and therefore struck from the record.

Hadlee was a one trick pony, and I implore you not to let the fact that he performed the trick 431 times at an average of 22.29 fool you into thinking otherwise! In his fifth last test he took 2/132...and as the old saying goes - "You're only as good as your fifth last test!".

That makes Hadlee as good as someone who took 2 wickets at an average of 66! Geoffrey Boycott has a test bowling average of 54.57; Mark Taylor - 26.00; Allan Border 39.10.

Over to you SJS...
    Brilliant!

Love this bit for some odd reason:
    In his fifth last test he took 2/132...and as the old saying goes - "You're only as good as your fifth last test!".
    Now prove that Mark Ramprakash is England's best batsman.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen.

For the safety and security and longevity of everyone on this forum AND of this thread, all refrences to a particular off spinner from Sri Lanka and a not-to-be-named leg spinner from down under are strictly no-no.

Please contact the undersigned offline at an extra fee for services in this regard

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    This is a non-starter since it hasnt yet been established on this forum that a particular un-named gentleman from a particular tear shaped island in the Indian Ocean is a "bowler" to start with, crap or non-crap

International Regular King_Ponting's Avatar
    hahah nice one mate. okay prove that bradman was a bunny. that should be a toughy

hahah nice one mate. okay prove that bradman was a bunny. that should be a toughy
    Going by his most recent form, hes a horrible batsman.
    In his last innings, he got out for a duck, and there is no evidence to suggest he has improved since. He averages 0 over the last 56 years, 9 months and 28 days.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 12-05-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Easiest thing in the world: refused to play against anyone but England, and everyone knows England is one of the crappier nations to play cricket, as proven by their results over the last 25 years. Bradman the batsman is basically identical to Kallis the bowler: only interested in bunnyhunting, protecting his average. What a loser, Bradman.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Oh thats one of the easiest assignments we have had.

Bradman was the biggest bunny in the history of the game !!!

Definition of Bunny : A batsman who is unable to play a particular bowler, gets out too often to a particular bowler is regarded as his bunny.

Bradman's reputation as a bunny : Bradman, argued by many less-knowledgeable as the greatest cricketer of all times has been called by some writers as the bunny of Alec Bedser the English swing bowler.

In the 10 tests that they played against each other, Bradman was out 13 times of which Bedser got him 6 times.

Hedley Verity, the English left arm spinner played against the Don in 17 tests and got his wicket 8 times.

But I would not go by these records to claim Bradman to be anyones bunny.

Biut he was still the greatest bunny in the history of the game.

Here are the stats.

He averaged 0.00 against one particular bowler !

He lasted only 2.00 balls per innings against this bowler !!

An astonishing 100% of his dismissals against this bowler were clean bowled !!!

Surely no further proof is required of the proposition.

The name of the bowler Eric Hollies. The leg spinner who cut Bradman to size and went into the record books as the bowler who prevented Bradman from averaging 100 (or more) in his test career.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    I am promoting you to chief statistical analyst after that performance
    haha, thank you for the early promotion! I joined the statistics division early on in the piece as I heard you could gain swift promotions, and it seems to be ringing true! I could only be casual on non-weekends due to sleep and work duties, but I'll try to do as much as I can...now, was it one or two sugars in your coffee?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Redman
    Brilliant!

Love this bit for some odd reason:

Now prove that Mark Ramprakash is England's best batsman.
    I'm taking that one with me for homework...I have TV to watch! Of course, if you want to knock it on the head first SJS be my guest!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I love these..... Good fun. Keep it up, guys.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    Going by his most recent form, hes a horrible batsman.
    In his last innings, he got out for a duck, and there is no evidence to suggest he has improved since. He averages 0 over the last 56 years, 9 months and 28 days.
    Are all of you looking for jobs ?

I think we may expand soon.

Send in your bio datas and dont join any competitors in the meanwhile.

Over to you SJS...
    That's the funniest thing I've read for a few weeks. That's a huge compliment considering I also read two PG Wodehouse short stories during the span.

Brilliant.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information