• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hear, Hear, Hear : Lend me your Ear

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
SJS said:
You are right. CC has become pretty tedious and its not with the same level of enthusiasm that one comes back. Jack asked me the other day why I am not around any more and I said I really dont know why.

Something needs to be done to bring this place (CC) back to life !! I find very few people around the few times I do come here so I dont seem to be the only one who has been visiting less often than before.

Why ???
I guess one thing is that there isn't much cricket on either.

The other is obviously the lack of activity in this thread.

Thanks a lot to those whose who register their appreciation of it, too. It can take a long time to do one of these, so to know they're read and liked is pretty satisfying. :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LongHopCassidy said:
(Bump)

I would like proof that Jason Gillespie is a more entertaining batsman than Brian Lara.
Entertainment: Defined by a reputable online dictionary as 'something that amuses, pleases, or diverts; especially a performance or a show'.

Thus it could be held, my dear fellow stats gurus, that merely by wielding the willow in such an ungainly fashion, Jason 'Dizzy' Gillespie has the capacity to entertain us at levels far exceeding anything Brian Lara has attained in his lengthy, yet painfully slow and grinding, career.

The above paragraph is lent more weight by the following definition of entertainment: ' The pleasure afforded by being entertained; amusement'

Brian Lara has been many things to many people during his tenure in the upper echelons of the West Indian cricketing fraternity, yet I doubt many people would be able to state (without crossing their fingers) that they often raised a chuckle whilst Brian went about his business, either on or off the cricket field. I'll admit, as an Australian, I had a bit of a quiet laugh the day Brian tore England apart single-handedly and notched up 400 by himself. As I had when he previously scored 375 against them almost 10 years previously. However, I'd contend that 2 laughs in 10 years doesn't constitute 'entertainment' no matter which side of the equator you're coming from on any given day of the week.

Jason 'Dizzy' Gillespie, on the other hand, is entertainment personified. He has a wacky nickname, he has a wacky haircut, he bats with a wacky stlye, and when he actually scores runs we all sit around and laugh because it's so unbelievable. Can you imagine Brian Lara being bestowed with the nickname 'Frisby' (or some other connotation thereof?)?? It just doesn't seem right, such is the seriousness with which the man undertakes his task...and as we all know, seriousness may be productive, yet it isn't conducive to 'entertainment'! When B.C Lara walks to the crease we never know what we're going to get, and sure, on occasion when he's on fire it could be described as being mildly entertaining...but when J. 'Dizzy' Gillespie marches onto the oval, bat in hand, the lounge chair all of a sudden develops a super glue-like texture - we know we're about to be entertained, and it's going to be hilarious!

Now, I'm starting to hear some murmers regarding the statistic accuracy of the above claims...this is a stats thread after all! The more statistically astute amongst you will know that usually the stats are presented somewhat haphazardly after a loose introduction (settle down Andy and Kenny, she's taken), before strong conclusions are drawn from the evidence presented. Thus, the preceding (and following) statistical analysis has been done backwards <-- that's my first conclusion. I did this for a number of reasons: Firstly to present my findings in a manner that would make it clear to even the most introductory of stats gurus what the findings were and how they came about - let's face it, it's easier to learn something when it's presented in story form. Secondly, it gives ardent Brian Lara supporters an 'out' when reading this as they will be able to claim that, due to the 'backwards' nature of this analysis it's not actually an analysis at all but instead a message from the devil.

Right so, there we go - analysis out of the way. Now for stats...

Of the two players mentioned who went out of their way to attempt to entertain the crowds?

I think the answer to this question is (as mentioned above) quite obviously Jason 'Dizzy' Gillespie: Of his numerous test innings with the bat he remained not out a stunning 28 times, in comparison to Lara's rather paltry 6. Whilst it can be argued that he may not have scored as many runs as Lara, I think you'll find that he did his absolute best to hang around for (in his words) "the joy of the people", whilst Lara's 'wham, bam, thank you mam' approach entertained no-one but himself.

(Note: To Be Continued - I'm being kicked off the computers at the local Community Centre so they can conduct their 'Macrame by Email Convention)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

And of course there's Jason Gillespie's stunning conversion rate-- every century he hits is converted into a double.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wonderful :)

It would be good if you guys got this going again, but I suppose it takes up too much time.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Sarwan v Warne: The Great Leg-Spin Debate

SK Warne has done more in 15 years of Test cricket than most, and his place in cricket's great pantheon is more or less assured. In 20 years time, most of us will sit our grandchildren on our respective laps and wax of his great feats of wizardry (assuming he's retired by then).

At least, that's what we thought we'd do.

Yes, it was all looking rosy for Warnie mythology until spin-watchdog honestbharani alerted us to an astonishing development. Warne is a fraud. This thief - this dacoit - has hogged the limelight and taken full credit for reinventing legspin when it is clear that Warne himself is markedly inferior in this art to a future pillar of West Indian folklore: Ramnaresh Sarwan.

Yes, ol' RRS has had stored for us a few surprises in those supple, yet springy spinning fingers.

In today's modern world of scheduling, any team can reasonably assume that they will play half their test matches on home soil. Naturally, a team wants to refine themselves according to conditions at home. And it is the West Indies, a collection of islands with rock-hard wickets of Bridgetown, grass-choked tracks of Trinidad, flat-beyond-flat decks of Antigua and a fast-bowling culture to pine for that poor Ramnaresh is left to ply his trade.

Yet his bowling strike rate in Tests, at home, is 55.2.

Did you get that? It's on a par with the Lillees, Thomsons and Waqars of this world.

Now our bleached-blond villain, spinning fingers honed by years of texting, with decks at Melbourne and Sydney catered to his every whim, plundering wicket after wicket against hapless English and South Africans, takes - no, expects a wicket every 60.7 deliveries.

It's clear the rotund antipodean's lost it. No, he's never had 'it'. It's hidden itself in Sarwan all along, only revealing itself the 291 times that his captain's had the decency to throw him the thing.

And another thing - it's easy enough to propel yourself into history books by taking the occasional 40-wicket haul against hapless Poms - but failure stings, especially against the minnows. Many on this forum have claimed that Bangladeshi wickets lack credibility and that they aren't a true indication of a bowler's mettle. Utter pap. If anything, it's more indicative of a bowler's lack of class if he doesn't plunder wickets against those admittedly fine players of spin, the Tigers. If a man can't dismiss Mashrafe Mortaza, then, pray tell, who can he get out?

No man has done more to dispel this perceived inadequacy than Sarwan. 48 overs of venom have delivered him a collection of Tigers' pelts at the cost of 13.12. Conversely, Warne has found himself ambushed, taking his Bangladeshi scalps at the price of 27.27 and that only after a soul-searching second Test. Complacency? Or a sheer lack of skill?

Sarwan exhibits neither. SK Warne - consider yourself upstaged.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sarwan is a better bowler than Warne.

Warne, however, is the better chucker.

*directs everyone to the finding of the tests released after CT*

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
What a thread, never seen this one comming.. good one SJS
Bradman is a bunny, i just can't believe u guys did that.. top effort tho..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd like a thesis on why Justin Langer should open the bowling in Test matches.
Basically, Justin Langer is the greatest all-rounder never to be recognized as one. As he is no longer playing Test cricket, I'll argue why he should be opening the bowling in FC cricket.

He is competing with the likes of Dorey, Bandy, Wates, Edmondson... but in the interests of journalistic integrity, I'll keep going (even though I shouldn't have to). If that weren't enough, he's bowled more than any of them ever have in Test cricket, therefore having more experience against top class batting. Obviously, his FC batting average is terrific, but his bowling average is less than his batting average - the basic qualification for any half-decent batting all-rounder.

We all know that his lengths will be good, as we've seen how good he is at just managing to dislodge a bail. But it is in One Day Domestic where he can come to the fore. Admittedly his economy rate is pretty high, but when the selectors continue to pick Ben Edmondson then they obviously don't give much consideration to that. His strike rate is less than 30, which puts him in the league of Waqar Younis, Shane Bond and Brett Lee. What more could you ask?

And in the end, he's captain. So he can do whatever the **** he wants.