• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County Crowds

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
In this age of dying first-class cricket... I was just wondering which are the most well-supported counties in terms of attendance figures and club memberships? Also, which are the worst-supported?

Even in other parts of the world like Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies, India etc. which are the extremely well-supported domestic sides and which sides barely get a couple of people to watch their games?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Domestic matches are played to empty stands in India. A sharp contrast to some of the famous matches in the past, specially finals which were played to packed houses. Domestic cricket was very famous when it was divided along religious lines and known as Pentangular (the hindus, muslims, christians, parsis, rest) played to packed houses, before the congress ablished it around 1950.

Nowadays there is almost no crowd at the venues. But if Tendulkar or the star players turn up crowd levels increase. Two blocks were full when Ganguly was playing a zonal one day match or a match for his state two-three years ago in which I happened to go.

A recent benefit match where most Indian stars played in was in packed houses.

The Indian public would eat up domestic cricket if its marketted well. The BCCI hasnt recognised the propsect of getting money from domestic matches and till that happens, the scenario wont change.

I have seen columns by Bhogle, Amrit Mathur, Raju Bharatan in the sportstar for the past 10 years on how the domestic structure needs to be improved. We know that. Any cricket folowed could see it.

Bring in good marketing, broadcast the matches on tv, have international stars available. You have a winner of a domestic competition in India.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
its a poor state of affairs that needs a remedy thats all i can say, 20twenty crowds are helping build the popularity in the sport again thuogh, people i know often to want to go watch, but then cant because of work or school commitments etc...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Domestic-First-Class-cricket isn't a spectator sport and hasn't been for many, many years... about 70 in England. Don't know about everywhere else, maybe SJS could give us some idea in England...

Langeveldt

Soutie
chekmeout said:
In this age of dying first-class cricket... I was just wondering which are the most well-supported counties in terms of attendance figures and club memberships? Also, which are the worst-supported?

Even in other parts of the world like Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, West Indies, India etc. which are the extremely well-supported domestic sides and which sides barely get a couple of people to watch their games?
Lets just say I usually bat in front of more people at college than would attend an evening session of Somerset v Whoever in the CC... Sad state of affairs..

Twenty20 does nothing for championship attendances, because if you need Twenty20, you won't be able to sit and watch a day of the Championship..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Lets just say I usually bat in front of more people at college than would attend an evening session of Somerset v Whoever in the CC... Sad state of affairs..
Not really, it's been the case for 70 years or so and it's not done any real harm yet.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Not really, it's been the case for 70 years or so and it's not done any real harm yet.
well lack of crowds at CC games has done more harm than good

and it is a sad state of affairs when a college game draws more than a county game, as Langeveldt says

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
Well but strictly on a comparitive basis, which clubs are supported more and which hardly have any members?

Swervy

International Captain
chekmeout said:
Well but strictly on a comparitive basis, which clubs are supported more and which hardly have any members?
When ever I go to a CC game at Headingley there is a fair smattering of people

I would take a guess that a team like Derbyshire struggle to get anyone in though

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Australian FC matches get about 300 people per day usually. more if its a 'once a year' venue like Newcastle where they got 5000 to the match a couple of years back

ING cup games usually get 5000 i think, that again the first 2 games at telstra both drew 22000+, thats once a year though too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
well lack of crowds at CC games has done more harm than good

and it is a sad state of affairs when a college game draws more than a county game, as Langeveldt says
I'm interested in what harm it has done?
Were England really such a fantastic team in the 1920s and 30s, at the height of domestic-First-Class-cricket's popularity?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Even though domestic matches in Australia and England are not played to large crowds, they are marketed rather well. You see advertisements, promotions and other schemes. Most importantly, all the matches are televised on the same scale as international matches, which is very good. In India, the state of affairs is so bad that the channel chosen for domestic cricket rarely covers the matches. Even if there is coverage, it's so slip-shod and unprofessional, the game stands to lose a lot of fans at this level due to the coverage. The channel itself is a joke and it shows how useless that department of the government which created it actually is. Hopefully there will be some improvements later on, but that can only happen if the BCCI changes the channel.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't know about Australia but the domestic-First-Class game gets about 6 or 7 games covered per season - out of... I can't remember how many.
Almost all coverage of domestic cricket in England is limited-over cricket and quite rightly - unlike the First-Class game, the domestic-one-day game can be a spectator sport, and you only need to look at the attendances at most day\night National League games to see that.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here, ESPN and STAR Sports actually show a lot of FC and OD cricket played in England (not this season, though). Maybe it is selective, but that is rather insulting in a way- we get to watch top-class coverage of domestic crickt in England and Australia (occasionally) but the coverage of Indian domestic cricket (if any) is awful.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
We don't get any coverage of FC games in Australia AFAIK, not even on cable/pay/fox whatever you wanna call it :p . Not even the Pura Cup final, only domestic one day stuff.

chekmeout

U19 Debutant
vic_orthdox said:
We don't get any coverage of FC games in Australia AFAIK, not even on cable/pay/fox whatever you wanna call it :p . Not even the Pura Cup final, only domestic one day stuff.
I guess that would probably change with the Twenty20 format in Australia eh?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure, but I'd suggest that Channel Nine, who broadcast one day domestic games, would struggle to find space to show Twenty20 games, unless they play them on weekends in a carnival format. because they won't be showing them on weekdays, which is when I'm guessing they'd be playing these matches.