Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 322

Thread: Tendency to quote freak stats out of context !!

  1. #1
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264

    Tendency to quote freak stats out of context !!

    It is amazing how often people quote some stats like a batsman's or bowlers failure in a particular tour in a partticular cpountry to prove that he was not good enough and vice versa. Very often these stats are totally misleading but go unchallenged because they are so striking. Pontings failure in India is one such stat. People refuse to accept, if they want to make an anti-Ponting point, that this could be a statistical chance just as a captain can win ten tosses in a row.

    The pointing of Murali's figures in Australia of 116 runs per wicket is a case in point. I was answering that post without realising that the thread got closed.

    While I am not so keen to argue with Scallywag so as to revive the thread but I think the point of out-of-context or freak stats being quoted in arguments is one I would like to point at. For this I am using my reply to Scallywag which wasnt posted in the now closed thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    So whats Muralis average in Australia.

    116 runs per wicket

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahaha
    While I would like to get into the argument as to who is the better of the two. I am amazed that you find these stats so significant.

    1. Do you realise that these figures of 116 runs per wkt are over just two test matches?

    2. Do you realise that these two mathces were played TEN years ago ?

    3. Do you realise that upto that stage, Murali was nowhere near the bowler he was to become later having taken his wickets at an unimpressive 34 runs each ? And till that stage he was taking a moderate 3.5 wickets per test ?

    4. Do you know that since then he has taken 450 wickets at just over 20 runs each ?

    5. Do you know that in taking these 451 wickets he has averaged a staggering 6.6 wkts per test match, easily the most astonishing and sustained wicket taking spree in the history of the game ever ?

    6. Do you realise that during the last ten years, while he was virtually running throught batting orders all over the world, he did not play a single test in Australia so as to better his first and only two tests performance there ?

    7. Do you know that while he did not play in Australia, during this period, he did play Australia at home in 6 tests in last ten years and
    - took 43 wkts
    - at over 7 per test
    - at an average of 22.1 per wkt and
    - a strike rate of 47.1 balls per wkt ?

    Do you think there is any significance of the average of 116 per wkt in Australia that you quote and for some weird reason find hilarious ?

    If you do, I salute you and shut my mouth up


    While we can forget , at this point about the Warne vs Murali debate (arent we sick of it) but I think we need to be carefull in bandying about freak stats with misplaced conviction to make invalid points.

  2. #2
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    It is amazing how often people quote some stats like a batsman's or bowlers failure in a particular tour in a partticular cpountry to prove that he was not good enough and vice versa. Very often these stats are totally misleading but go unchallenged because they are so striking. Pontings failure in India is one such stat. People refuse to accept, if they want to make an anti-Ponting point, that this could be a statistical chance just as a captain can win ten tosses in a row.

    The pointing of Murali's figures in Australia of 116 runs per wicket is a case in point. I was answering that post without realising that the thread got closed.

    While I am not so keen to argue with Scallywag so as to revive the thread but I think the point of out-of-context or freak stats being quoted in arguments is one I would like to point at. For this I am using my reply to Scallywag which wasnt posted in the now closed thread.


    While I would like to get into the argument as to who is the better of the two. I am amazed that you find these stats so significant.

    1. Do you realise that these figures of 116 runs per wkt are over just two test matches?

    2. Do you realise that these two mathces were played TEN years ago ?

    3. Do you realise that upto that stage, Murali was nowhere near the bowler he was to become later having taken his wickets at an unimpressive 34 runs each ? And till that stage he was taking a moderate 3.5 wickets per test ?

    4. Do you know that since then he has taken 450 wickets at just over 20 runs each ?

    5. Do you know that in taking these 451 wickets he has averaged a staggering 6.6 wkts per test match, easily the most astonishing and sustained wicket taking spree in the history of the game ever ?

    6. Do you realise that during the last ten years, while he was virtually running throught batting orders all over the world, he did not play a single test in Australia so as to better his first and only two tests performance there ?

    7. Do you know that while he did not play in Australia, during this period, he did play Australia at home in 6 tests in last ten years and
    - took 43 wkts
    - at over 7 per test
    - at an average of 22.1 per wkt and
    - a strike rate of 47.1 balls per wkt ?

    Do you think there is any significance of the average of 116 per wkt in Australia that you quote and for some weird reason find hilarious ?

    If you do, I salute you and shut my mouth up


    While we can forget , at this point about the Warne vs Murali debate (arent we sick of it) but I think we need to be carefull in bandying about freak stats with misplaced conviction to make invalid points.
    Perfect post.

    This could be used as a prime example of why SJS is without doubt the very finest member of the forum.

    Last edited by a massive zebra; 10-05-2005 at 06:47 AM.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

  3. #3
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,785
    Because he agrees with you, you mean?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  4. #4
    International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my ass @ the PC
    Posts
    2,815
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Because he agrees with you, you mean?
    Yes and because nearly all his points are stunningly well written and supported.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,364
    Sats can be used out of context, but despite that, they are there for all to see and cannot be disputed. The wonderful thing about life is that things are never the same and constant and that one situation will never be the same for every player, so to also use those stats against or for a player in a certain situation unless knowing all the factors is open for debate - hence a forum!
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,912
    See I can incite good discussion.

    Even though you are wrong.

  7. #7
    International Captain cameeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,902
    its hard to see where he's wrong scallywag after reading his first post, pretty convincing argument
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

    "This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

  8. #8
    International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    office
    Posts
    11,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    See I can incite good discussion.

    Even though you are wrong.
    so why no stats this time around???
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

  9. #9
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Scallywag
    Even though you are wrong.
    ...and why is that?

  10. #10
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    Murali has had oporitunity to Play in Australia since than but chickened out!

  11. #11
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    I would guess offhand that Scallywag was trying to make a point about the way other people use random stats to put down a player.

    eg: Ponting is rubbish because he averages 12 in India, or Warne is rubbish because he averages 40 odd in India. Well, Murali is rubbish because he averages 116 in Australia, and even worse than Warne in India. Dennis Lillee is rubbish because he only has three wickets in the subcontinent, well Murali is rubbish because he only has two wickets (or something like that) in Australia. And so on... it works on both sides of the fence.

    I don't think any of these players are rubbish and they are obviously all-time greats by any objective standard, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander as well.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  12. #12
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    i certainly cant see how anyone in their right mind cant see that ponting's failure is not misleading. 8 tests over 8 years at an average of 12.29, and in each of those tests he was made to look like an absolute novice against spin. jesus, how in the world you could call someone who batted worse than a tailender in one country over an extended period of time an all time great i'll never know. as far as im concerned, an all time great is a player who can be relied on in all countries.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  13. #13
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    i certainly cant see how anyone in their right mind cant see that ponting's failure is not misleading. 8 tests over 8 years at an average of 12.29, and in each of those tests he was made to look like an absolute novice against spin. jesus, how in the world you could call someone who batted worse than a tailender in one country over an extended period of time an all time great i'll never know. as far as im concerned, an all time great is a player who can be relied on in all countries.
    So what if Murali tours Australia again and plays say 4 or 5 more tests there, and struggles and finishes his career averaging 80 there. Would he not be an all-time great? Is Warne not an all-time great because of his poor India average (or Murali for that matter)? It's ludicrous to suggest that because a player doesn't succeed in one place means that all the rest of their amazing success is suddenly rendered insignificant.

  14. #14
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    So what if Murali tours Australia again and plays say 4 or 5 more tests there, and struggles and finishes his career averaging 80 there. Would he not be an all-time great? Is Warne not an all-time great because of his poor India average (or Murali for that matter)? It's ludicrous to suggest that because a player doesn't succeed in one place means that all the rest of their amazing success is suddenly rendered insignificant.
    no its not, i dont expect players to succeed in every country. there have been plenty of all time greats that had problems in certain countries. but how many average 12.29 over 8 tests? theres a line between poor and disgraceful and ponting is so far beyond it that he cant even see it.
    shane warne's average in india isnt anywhere as poor, given the number of spin bowlers who have succeeded in india. and its certainly not to the point where he looks like a complete novice. not to mention of course that he had a pretty good time in his last series.
    and yes if murali ends up getting hammered at over 80 in australia after 8 tests, then he wont be an all time great, but because im certain hes too good for that, im fairly sure that he'll come out with good figures.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,184
    and yes if murali ends up getting hammered at over 80 in australia after 8 tests, then he wont be an all time great, but because im certain hes too good for that, im fairly sure that he'll come out with good figures.
    Number 1, not considering Murali to be an all-time great because of failures in Australia (based on the fact that offies generally don't do well here anyway) is what's ludicrous. He's ALREADY an all-time great. Suceeding in Australia will just cement it.

    Number 2, if he decides to never tour here again, we'll never know will we? Will that engender doubt as to whether he's an all-time great? We'd be forced to judge him on current record and right now, it's pretty woeful. Does this really affect his status as an all-time great? You're a more harsh judge than I if you consider it does.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Player Stats
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 03:00 PM
  2. Academy Stats
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-09-2004, 11:17 PM
  3. Club Cricket
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 06:13 PM
  4. Season Stats
    By Mister Wright in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-12-2003, 05:36 PM
  5. Projected stats for next season
    By Sriram k in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18-09-2003, 12:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •