• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reply To Scallywag's comment

Status
Not open for further replies.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Scallywag said:
Hahahahahahahaa

Cant you see the funny side to this, an idiot like yourself upset at astute judges for not selecting what you want.
That's right - resort to insults because you cannot contradict my post with anything worthwhile. 8-)

Well I do have something to say....

Wisden Cricketer of The Year 2005

Many players, including Sehwag, Dravid, Kallis, Martyn, Gilchrist, McGrath and Flintoff had more right to claim that title.

Wisden Cricketer of The Century

The bowlers spot could have been better filled by Lillee, Lindwall, O'Reilly, Trueman, Barnes, Laker, Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Waqar or Donald.

ICC 2004 Team Of The Year

In the qualifying period - August 1, 2003 to July 31, 2004 - Murali played nine Tests, taking 73 wickets at an average of 18.56. He took his wickets against Australia (28), England (26), South Africa (5) and Zimbabwe (14). Australia and England are the ICC's two top-ranked teams, and not long ago South Africa was challenging Australia for No. 1 status.

Warne, by comparison, missed more than half the qualifying period because he was still serving a one-year doping ban. When he came back he played five Tests - all against Sri Lanka. Admittedly he routed the fifth-ranked Lankans, taking 36 wickets at 22.25, but is that enough? In the year under scrutiny, Murali took twice as many wickets at a better average and played much tougher teams than Warne - beating the Aussie in two of the criteria Benaud listed.

Perhaps the debate over which of the two most successful bowlers was more deserving of a place in a World XI reveals some hard truths about world cricket and its bias. Warne appears to have gained his place by virtue of reputation. The fact he was serving a drug ban during the voting period should have been taken into consideration, but Warne is one of those characters whose flaws and misdemeanours are constantly brushed aside or ignored.

Constantly being labelled the best legspinner ever

O'Reilly never had a bad series, and beats Warne in practically every category. The people making this claim rarely support their view with any evidence.

Scallywag said:
So whats Muralis average in Australia.

116 runs per wicket
And he last played there 10 years ago, well before he touched greatness.

Scallywag said:
Warne has a better record than Murali in India against the best players of spin because Murali averages a whopping 48 in India.
Murali has not played there for ages and until Warne's recent series he averaged 57 in India.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
Stop Closing Threads!!!

As long as we arent talking about child ****ography or being racist then if someone says something rude, then just leave the post alone. As users of the site we don't have to read anything we don't want to and we don't need to be protected against someone voicing an opinion that is radical and perhaps even inflammatory.

If the internet were one big moderated forum you wouldn't be able to rely on any websites to tell you all points of view on a topic because some guy on a powertrip has decided that it is his or her responsibility to ensure the moral integrity of the community isn't compromised. 8-)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
In the qualifying period - August 1, 2003 to July 31, 2004 - Murali played nine Tests, taking 73 wickets at an average of 18.56. He took his wickets against Australia (28), England (26), South Africa (5) and Zimbabwe (14). Australia and England are the ICC's two top-ranked teams, and not long ago South Africa was challenging Australia for No. 1 status.
Yes, as at this point England are number 2, at the time he took the wickets, they were not by a long way.

I find it interesting that you agreed with SJS about selective stats, then proceed to manipulate them when it suits you.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
In the qualifying period - August 1, 2003 to July 31, 2004 - Murali played nine Tests, taking 73 wickets at an average of 18.56.
If this is about the Wisden ckter of the year, the qualifying period is not August - July. It is from January to December 2004. This switch from the English season to calender year was one of the changes that Wisden implemented from the 2004 edition onwards.

If this is not Wisden, well, sorry for disrupting what promises to be a nice flame war 8-)

a massive zebra

International Captain
Tapioca said:
If this is about the Wisden ckter of the year, the qualifying period is not August - July. It is from January to December 2004. This switch from the English season to calender year was one of the changes that Wisden implemented from the 2004 edition onwards.

If this is not Wisden, well, sorry for disrupting what promises to be a nice flame war 8-)
It is not Wisden.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As long as we arent talking about child ****ography or being racist then if someone says something rude, then just leave the post alone. As users of the site we don't have to read anything we don't want to and we don't need to be protected against someone voicing an opinion that is radical and perhaps even inflammatory.

If the internet were one big moderated forum you wouldn't be able to rely on any websites to tell you all points of view on a topic because some guy on a powertrip has decided that it is his or her responsibility to ensure the moral integrity of the community isn't compromised.
:yawn:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have I closed the thread?

No I think my feelings on this matter can best be summed up this way:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
a massive zebra said:
That's right - resort to insults because you cannot contradict my post with anything worthwhile. 8-)

Well I do have something to say....

Wisden Cricketer of The Year 2005

Many players, including Sehwag, Dravid, Kallis, Martyn, Gilchrist, McGrath and Flintoff had more right to claim that title.

Wisden Cricketer of The Century

The bowlers spot could have been better filled by Lillee, Lindwall, O'Reilly, Trueman, Barnes, Laker, Marshall, Holding, Ambrose, Hadlee, Imran, Wasim, Waqar or Donald.

ICC 2004 Team Of The Year

Warne, by comparison, missed more than half the qualifying period because he was still serving a one-year doping ban. When he came back he played five Tests - all against Sri Lanka. Admittedly he routed the fifth-ranked Lankans, taking 36 wickets at 22.25, but is that enough? In the year under scrutiny, Murali took twice as many wickets at a better average and played much tougher teams than Warne - beating the Aussie in two of the criteria Benaud listed.

Perhaps the debate over which of the two most successful bowlers was more deserving of a place in a World XI reveals some hard truths about world cricket and its bias. Warne appears to have gained his place by virtue of reputation. The fact he was serving a drug ban during the voting period should have been taken into consideration, but Warne is one of those characters whose flaws and misdemeanours are constantly brushed aside or ignored.

Constantly being labelled the best legspinner ever

O'Reilly never had a bad series, and beats Warne in practically every category. The people making this claim rarely support their view with any evidence.

And he last played there 10 years ago, well before he touched greatness.

Murali has not played there for ages and until Warne's recent series he averaged 57 in India.
All that effort for a flaming dolt like Scallywag? His rants aren't worth reading in the first place let alone replying to.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Could be considered offensive to some visitors and not the sort of image I want to see Cricket Web promoting/showing - have removed the image.

James

Cricket Web Owner
a massive zebra said:

If the internet were one big moderated forum you wouldn't be able to rely on any websites to tell you all points of view on a topic because some guy on a powertrip has decided that it is his or her responsibility to ensure the moral integrity of the community isn't compromised. 8-)
If you want to post on the Cricket Web Forum you play by the rules. As simple as that.

archie mac

International Coach
Perhaps the debate over which of the two most successful bowlers was more deserving of a place in a World XI reveals some hard truths about world cricket and its bias. Warne appears to have gained his place by virtue of reputation. The fact he was serving a drug ban during the voting period should have been taken into consideration said:
I agree to a degree re- O'Reilley, but it must be remembered that not to many of the judges would have seen him bowl. As I understand it he was not a traditional leg spin bowler but was almost medium/fast.

I always have problems with World 11s, it is easy to argue for this player or that, but usually harder to choose yourself. And besides whom are they going to play Mars?

I imagine Murali has won many awards that Warney did not receive.
I think we should just say; they are two great bowlers and leave it at that. :mellow:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Blaze said:
I actually think that you are worse than him Scaly Piscine
with A Massive Zebra being Scally's equivalent on the opposite side of the argument....kind of.

If you couldn't see that the Murali vs Warne thread was going to be closed when someone decided it would be a good idea to start it then I think there's something wrong.

King_Ponting

International Regular
i think this should be closed as well. its going no where and is just devloping into the Haters having arguments about nothing. Just go by the stats. They dont lie

Status
Not open for further replies.