• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your 30!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GermanShepherd said:
Oh give it a rest Pommy. This ICC "is biased in favour of Asia" attitude is pathetic to put it mildly.
If you had two brain cells to rub together you'd realise it's a perfectly valid point given the past half dozen or so years.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
Atherton clarifies - "The 30 names are not exclusive. You can come into the squads of 20 or the final 13 if you're not in the initial 30"
Which makes this selection a bit of a farce, doesn't it?!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Samuel_Vimes said:
Which makes this selection a bit of a farce, doesn't it?!
The logic supposedly is, it gives the players to get ready for the Super Series and Australia to know and plan for the 'team' likely to face them.

More logical would ofcourse be to select the 13 for the test and 14 for the 3 match ODI series just once and avoid the saga of shortlisting and the 6 selectors discussing thrice before the avoid at the final squad, which may not even include a player from the initial 30!

Total farce indeed.

twctopcat

International Regular
I think that the ODI team is a lot more open than the test team. Dravid, Kallis, Lara,Pollock,Flintoff, Murali and therefore Sangakkara are pretty much shoe-ins for the test team, though the ODI will be more flexible and difficult to call.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Your opinion of this side?
  • Sehwag- Explosive opener, takes a lot of risks.
  • Chris Gayle- Another explosive hitter, but a lot more steady and clean.
  • Lara- Enough said- contender for captain
  • Tendulkar- Enough said
  • Dravid- Enough said
  • Flintoff- Clean, hard hitter of the ball;; capable of bowling a lot faster than normal
  • Pollock- Tough swing/seam bowler and effective with the new ball; hard hitter, capable of scoring a rapid innings
  • Mark Boucher- Very dependable wicketkeeper, quick-scoring batsman
  • Kumble- In very good form in Tests, save the last series, may get a go in OD's too
  • Muralitharan- Expect a bagful of wickets for not too many
  • Harmison- Pace. Raw pace to complement his swing/seam partner

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Happy enough, Arjun, except for gayle opening in a test match. We'd be seeing lara in very early i'd suspect.

What'll interest me about the One Day series is what type of pitch the drop-in provides. Usually its a bit slow and low, which may mean that more of the sub-continent players will get a guernsey than they would have otherwise in a match on Australian soil.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Arjun said:
  • Tendulkar- Enough said
  • Dravid- Enough said
  • Flintoff- Clean, hard hitter of the ball;; capable of bowling a lot faster than normal
  • Pollock- Tough swing/seam bowler and effective with the new ball; hard hitter, capable of scoring a rapid innings
  • Kumble- In very good form in Tests, save the last series, may get a go in OD's too
One spinner too many

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
One spinner too many
Do you really think so? When there aren't that many classy pace bowlers crying out for a spot, on a wicket in Sydney which traditionally is the most conducive to spin bowling in Australia? Against a side that historically has a relative weakness to spin in comparison to how they play pace bowling? And a third pace bowler in Flintoff is available for use, so we aren't under-resourced in this area?

I would have thought that two spinners for the World XI is close to a mere formality in this match.

twctopcat

International Regular
Arjun said:
  • Tendulkar- Enough said
  • Dravid- Enough said
I think Sangakkara needs to be the wicketkeeper though because he is used to Murali's bowling, which is a big factor, as he can read Murali's deliveries so well. Boucher may struggle more keeping to quality spin as he doesn't get the opportunity much!!

Sudeep

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Do you really think so? When there aren't that many classy pace bowlers crying out for a spot, on a wicket in Sydney which traditionally is the most conducive to spin bowling in Australia? Against a side that historically has a relative weakness to spin in comparison to how they play pace bowling? And a third pace bowler in Flintoff is available for use, so we aren't under-resourced in this area?

I would have thought that two spinners for the World XI is close to a mere formality in this match.
I agree - even with Gayle to be considered as an almost regular bowler, two spinners shouldn't really cause eyebrow-raising. Plus, there are three regular seamers in there too, so...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
twctopcat said:
I think Sangakkara needs to be the wicketkeeper though because he is used to Murali's bowling, which is a big factor, as he can read Murali's deliveries so well. Boucher may struggle more keeping to quality spin as he doesn't get the opportunity much!!
Plus, Sangakkara gives 50-60 more runs with the bat in a match...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
  • Tendulkar- Enough said
  • Dravid- Enough said
This is a test side, right? No way I would include Gayle or Boucher, or Tendulkar currently.

My test side if it were played tomorrow would be:
Varinder Sehwag
Andrew Strauss
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkara
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble/Daniel Vettori
Harbhajan Singh/Muttiah Muralitharan
Shoaib Akhtar

The spinners are tough to pick because of the selection criteria. Murali might not be fit, Vettori isn't as good as Kumble or Harbhajan in his own right but he has troubled Australia. I think right not Kumble and Harbhajan would be the likely pairing.

If one of Harmison or Hoggard has a big Ashes series they are obviously major contenders, even though Hoggard hasn't been picked in the 39. Tendulkar can obviously still compete for a spot, and I think regardless of form he will make it because of the way the selectors acted in picking their 39. However, if the team were to play tomorrow, he doesn't deserve to be in the side ahead of Kallis, Lara or Dravid in a million years.

Reserve bowler would be Ntini or Hoggard, reserve batsman would be Tendulkar.

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
Never in hell will the selectors insult Tendulkar by making him 12th man. I agree he would not make a World XI currently, but I'm pretty sure he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet in both forms.

Test: Sehwag Tendulkar Kallis Lara Dravid Flintoff Sangakkara Pollock Kumble Muralitharan Harmison
12th & 13th men: Vaughan and Ntini
(yes, they'll make him open because there's no way they're going to leave any of Kallis, Dravid and Lara out of the middle order and as said above he will play)

ODI: Sehwag Tendulkar Kallis Lara Dravid Flintoff Sangakkara Pollock Vettori Muralitharan Ntini

12th, 13th & 14th men: Trescothick, Gayle and Vaas

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
My test side

Sehwag
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Dravid
Flintoff
Sangakarra
Pollock
Akhtar/Harmison/Hoggard
Kaneria
Muralidharan

I am tempted at making Kallis open but it sounds very suspect. Tendulkar should be there considering not only that he can bat but also the fact that he would be more than handy in Sydney. As much as I would like to include Kallis in the side, if people have problems with him opening, I guess he would have to go and make room for Strauss (depending upon how he performs in the Ashes) or Smith

Kaneria and Murali would be an awesome combination on a turner in Sydney

*Maybe this should be made into the Super Series 2005 thread and topped*

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well, admittedly they selected 39 players so all bets are off really, but 25 of my 30 made it into at least one squad.

Attapattu, Cairns, De Villiers, Fleming & Oram were the unlucky men.

How come NZ have been so roundly ignored? They are arguably the 2nd best ODI team in the world.

Sudeep

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
This is a test side, right? No way I would include Gayle or Boucher, or Tendulkar currently.

My test side if it were played tomorrow would be:
Varinder Sehwag
Andrew Strauss
Rahul Dravid
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Kumar Sangakkara
Andrew Flintoff
Shaun Pollock
Anil Kumble/Daniel Vettori
Harbhajan Singh/Muttiah Muralitharan
Shoaib Akhtar

The spinners are tough to pick because of the selection criteria. Murali might not be fit, Vettori isn't as good as Kumble or Harbhajan in his own right but he has troubled Australia. I think right not Kumble and Harbhajan would be the likely pairing.

If one of Harmison or Hoggard has a big Ashes series they are obviously major contenders, even though Hoggard hasn't been picked in the 39. Tendulkar can obviously still compete for a spot, and I think regardless of form he will make it because of the way the selectors acted in picking their 39. However, if the team were to play tomorrow, he doesn't deserve to be in the side ahead of Kallis, Lara or Dravid in a million years.

Reserve bowler would be Ntini or Hoggard, reserve batsman would be Tendulkar.
Why not Gayle?