• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your 30!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In hindsight I think the coaches and captains or just coaches of the remaining 9 teams should have put their sides in, the players with most votes chosen.

I dont think that would have as surprising choices as this.

But when the final 15 is selected, hopefully the sides look good. Too few New Zealand players?!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Too few New Zealand and England players. Too many India and Pakistan players - at least they maintained the ICC bias tho.

Mister Wright

Is it impossible for the selectors to choose outside the squad of 30 (given poor form or injury) or can they only choose out of the 30?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Who would have guessed nine players from Pakistan??

vic_orthdox said:
I reckon Pathan might be a chance, just because in teams like this you often see selectors forced/falling into the hype of a player like him.
hmm, unfortunately i was right.

How can Cairns go from World XI (excluding Asia) in January to not in the top 30 ODI players in the world by May? Especially when Gough still gets a recall, they're in a similar boat one would have thought...

Scaly piscine said:
Too few New Zealand and England players.
Seven's a darn reasonable number. However, if your referring to Flintoff being the only one in both squads, I can see your point of view.

Mister Wright said:
Is it impossible for the selectors to choose outside the squad of 30 (given poor form or injury) or can they only choose out of the 30?
Surely they won't restrict the potency of the World XI like that, it would only make the game farcical!

Oh, wait. Naved ul Hasan as a test player...

Scaly piscine

vic_orthdox said:
Seven's a darn reasonable number. However, if your referring to Flintoff being the only one in both squads, I can see your point of view.
Exactly, for a start England will be playing Australia in the next few months so they should have the most players in the initial squad simply because any one of them could end up doing really well against Australia and the selectors would then look utterly stupid (which I don't mind too much since Atherton is one of the selectors) - imagine if England win The Ashes/ODIs, how dumb are those selectors going to look in October with just 4 England players in each squad?

blockbuster

Cricket Spectator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Vaughan over Thorpe?! Have these guys been watching English cricket the last twelve months?!
....and did you watch what Vaughan did to Australia, in Australia during the entire series in 2002/2003? Especially what he did at the SCG (the venue for this match)

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Scaly piscine said:
Too few New Zealand and England players. Too many India and Pakistan players - at least they maintained the ICC bias tho.
Oh give it a rest Pommy. This ICC "is biased in favour of Asia" attitude is pathetic to put it mildly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mister Wright said:
Atherton clarifies - "The 30 names are not exclusive. You can come into the squads of 20 or the final 13 if you're not in the initial 30"

Mister Wright

Pratyush said:
Atherton clarifies - "The 30 names are not exclusive. You can come into the squads of 20 or the final 13 if you're not in the initial 30"
That's good to know...phew

Steulen

International Regular
There's an Atherton Q&A on the BBC website. At least we now know where the Pietersen nomination came from...Atherton, President of the KPAS.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Steulen said:
There's an Atherton Q&A on the BBC website. At least we now know where the Pietersen nomination came from...Atherton, President of the KPAS.
link please... for us lazy ones.

blockbuster

Cricket Spectator
Pratyush said:
Other than Cairns, there is nobody else who will get picked outside the 30.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Well, for a start they named 30 for each, but some of the selections and non-selections are nothing short of a farce

In both squads: Pathan, Naved ul Hasan, Harbhajan.
How is Harbhajan's selection a farce ? There are plenty of worse spinners they could have picked than him.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
blockbuster said:
Other than Cairns, there is nobody else who will get picked outside the 30.
Michael Bevan??? :p

In all seriousness, the way that Pieterson suddenly exploded into the squad, why is there not a possible reason that someone like a Kaif, who has been reasonable up to this point of his career, and around for quite a while, suddenly had a similar burst of awesome form in ODIs couldn't be included in the World XI side. Or if Hamish Marshall continued to make runs in Test Match Cricket, and there were injuries.

Never say never, my dear friend.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Atherton gives a bit of a perspective into a few English players which were chosen/not chosen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/4529159.stm

Matthew Hoggard is the one absence of an England regular but his last tour of Australia wasn't particularly successful so that would have counted against him.

There are perhaps one or two question-marks as to how long Graham Thorpe will play and I told the rest of the selectors I think he is a bit past his best physically, not necessarily technically.

Darren Gough has done well since retiring as a Test player.

Pietersen showed a high level of form in South Africa but we don't know whether that's a flash in the pan so this summer will tell us more.

blockbuster

Cricket Spectator
vic_orthdox said:
Michael Bevan??? :p

In all seriousness, the way that Pieterson suddenly exploded into the squad, why is there not a possible reason that someone like a Kaif, who has been reasonable up to this point of his career, and around for quite a while, suddenly had a similar burst of awesome form in ODIs couldn't be included in the World XI side. Or if Hamish Marshall continued to make runs in Test Match Cricket, and there were injuries.

Never say never, my dear friend.
Hamish Marshall - never, never, never.

People so over-rate his performances against Australia. He only averaged 40, and the pitches were so benign.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
blockbuster said:
Hamish Marshall - never, never, never.

People so over-rate his performances against Australia. He only averaged 40, and the pitches were so benign.
But that's the point with Marshall. He succeeds more on the harder, and less benign, wickets. And I reckon that more than half of the batsman named in the 30 man squad would average less than 40 against Australia in the first place.

Anyways, the point I was making was not in particular reference to those two players, it was saying that it isn't that unforeseeable (I'm not fully aware of what the schedules for countries other than Aus and Eng are like before the Super Series) that there will be an extra inclusion who ends up making the team.

One to watch out for in such a circumstance, Matthew Hoggard.