• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your 30!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Can anyone tell me how Pathan qualified on ANY of those?
Because he is the greatest left arm fast bowler of all time and cant make the Indian side above Ajit Agarkar? ;)

tooextracool

International Coach
well congratulations to the ICC, they've managed to to outdo themselves again.
pathan, i mean seriously, i would have thought that you could only overrate a player who averages 50+ with the ball against test class opposition so much, but the ICC has managed to overrate him further, both forms too, ER of 5.09. oh wait, guess hes better than hoggard.
how in the world brendon mccullum makes it when he averages a whole 16 against australia after 2 series, and batting is supposed to be his strong point.
naved ul hasan - test average 58, average against australia 45, makes it in both squads.
pieterson qualifies, based on one series. asim kamal averages 43 in test cricket, 48 against australia. not in the test squad.
the few things that they did get right though, things that i clearly didnt expect them to do was the selection nel, youhana(in ODIs) and not selecting jayawardhene

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I can think of three guys better then Pathan and Rana as test bowlers ATM, Hoggard, Malinga and Streak
im struggling to think of bowlers that arent better than those 2.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
how in the world brendon mccullum makes it when he averages a whole 16 against australia after 2 series, and batting is supposed to be his strong point.
naved ul hasan - test average 58, average against australia 45, makes it in both squads.
pieterson qualifies, based on one series. asim kamal averages 43 in test cricket, 48 against australia. not in the test squad.
the few things that they did get right though, things that i clearly didnt expect them to do was the selection nel, youhana(in ODIs) and not selecting jayawardhene
Well TBH fair McCullum wasn't bad of a pick consider Karman and Taibu's records aganist Australia aren't much better and his overall record is better then both.

Kamal isn't hyped up, simple as that, it seems you have to be hyped up to a degree to be selected.

Youhana a better bet then Mahlea his ODI record isn't that great and his Test record outside Sri Lanka is shocking. Personally i would have picked Hamish infront of them both but especially in ODI when you add in his fielding.

Craig

World Traveller
No Fleming? Ok he hasn't been in the greatest of form (in internationals) last summer, and I have seen him play better, but surely he would have offered something captaincy wise, batting and catching wise. I'm sure he would have enjoyed the chance to be involved in leading or being part in a vice captaincy role with a much better squad with all due respect to his own players.

I can understand no Oram, he hasn't played against Australia last time around, although his absence was greatly missed. Afridi? Are there better options?

Harbhajan, gee I'm struggling to remember his efforts outside Asia.

Steulen

International Regular
tooextracool said:
Well, there you have it. Clearly the guy saves his best performances for the Aussies! 8-)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
No Fleming? Ok he hasn't been in the greatest of form (in internationals) last summer, and I have seen him play better, but surely he would have offered something captaincy wise, batting and catching wise. I'm sure he would have enjoyed the chance to be involved in leading or being part in a vice captaincy role with a much better squad with all due respect to his own players.

I can understand no Oram, he hasn't played against Australia last time around, although his absence was greatly missed. Afridi? Are there better options?

Harbhajan, gee I'm struggling to remember his efforts outside Asia.
On Fleming i think his form aganist Australia played a big roll in him not getting picked. Micheal Vaughan look like a really good captain, also you have Inzi, Smith, Dravid, Tendulkar, Lara and even Jayasuriya, that can all captain. It seems that didn't pick too many guys based on their fielding to go with other areas of their game, or Hamish would have been one of the first guys picked.

Oram i can understand why they didn't pick in the ODI side, but not the Test squad, if Flintoff gets injury surely his the next best option, considering Kallis form with the ball.

Carins is the big shock for me, with Malik not bowling well at all, you would think that Carins is a better option, but i guess not.

Blaze

Banned
What a ****ing joke.

I wouldn't have picked Flem or Oram in the final 11 but they both should have been in the greater group.

As for Cairns's non selection in the OD team.. well what can you say. All I can do is laugh and think to myself that they must have forgotten to read his name.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
oram probably hasn't been selected, because of injury. although the management at new zealand cricket decided that he should stay at home in palmerston north in the gym instead of going to play in the lancashire league.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
sportychic33 said:
oram probably hasn't been selected, because of injury. although the management at new zealand cricket decided that he should stay at home in palmerston north in the gym instead of going to play in the lancashire league.
Well considering the series isn't until October, that is pretty stupid

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
It will be interesting to see what the final XIs will look like. Anybody know if/when they cut the squad? I assume it will be reduced to 15 or so rather than taking all 30 for both forms to Australia.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Squads will be trimmed to 20 each in early July, final teams announced in August.
Will be interesting to guess who gets dropped then. For all the complaints about Rana and Pathan, I'm not particularly surprised that either was picked for the ODI squads, although in Rana's case the test squad is a bit of a shock.

Also interesting to see 0 token players from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I would have expected at least Taibu to make the 39, or Streak.

a massive zebra

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Also interesting to see 0 token players from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. I would have expected at least Taibu to make the 39, or Streak.
Or Rafique, or Bashar.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Okay playing the devil's advocate, I want to look at the possibility of the selectors chosing those guys who might be regarded as excellent players in a few months time but arent at the moment.

The match is in October if I am not mistaken and I want to ask if the selectors have ignored any player whom you thought should have been included in the 15 which will be trimmed down from the 30.

The selection of Pathan isnt good considering he has been crap in the past 6 months or so. He had shown some talent to get the title of the young player last year. India play some cricket from July-October. Could Pathan improve as much as to get chosen into a World XI to face Australia over the likes of Harmison, Pollock, Akhtar, naming just three players? NO

Maybe the selectors chose these two basing it on that proposition.

And then I read this

"It is also particularly exciting to see the names of a number of younger and emerging players recognised by the selectors. Players like Kevin Pietersen, Brendon McCullum, Andre Nel, Naved ul Hasan, Shahid Afridi and Irfan Pathan have forced their way into the squads on the strength of outstanding performances over recent months."

CRAP

Could Naved ul hasan be included? highly unlikely for him too.Kevin Pieterson? Yes if he performs well against Australia this summer.

One pleasant surprise is that players from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe werent selected. Could Taibu get into the World XI over Boucher or Sangakarra? erm no.

Streak in a side expecting to defeat Australia? No. But then you wouldnt bring even Naved ul hasan close to a world test XI spot. Bewildering ICC once again

Also its suspicious ad funnily coincidental that the number is 39, close to the Wisden 40. Conspiracy to undermine the Wisden 40 chosen just recently? ;)

Will be interesting to see which players from the Wisden 40 have been ignored by the ICC considering Wisden 40 is indeed a very good list.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
at the risk of sounding like a pompous, c*cky b***ard, pietersen got in, told you so! :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Vaughan over Thorpe?! Have these guys been watching English cricket the last twelve months?!

Not to mention, no Shiv, Irfan Pathan, Gough and Pietersen in the ODI squad. *sigh*