• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your 30!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
That's kind of the point. None of those guys will have played for a long time, therefore you will not know who is in form.
But you will know who is in the recent Test form - from recent games.

I'm still waiting for a legitimate reason as to why Tendulkar deserves selection ahead of Lara, Kallis or Dravid.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
I'm still waiting for a legitimate reason as to why Tendulkar deserves selection ahead of Lara, Kallis or Dravid.
The fact that people believe he is much more likely to succeed in the 6 day test, which is what matters in the end to select the side?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Based on what though?

Someone averaging 35 or so is better than someone averaging 70?
Oh come on Marc. For ages you have been campaigning against Richard and his 'out there' theories when he claims statistics and the like, now you're using it to your advantage. Everyone knows that Tendulkar will play, he is a class player and has the record to prove it. Just because he is a touch out of form at the moment is of no real concern. When the time comes he'll know what to do because he has done it before.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Based on what though?

Someone averaging 35 or so is better than someone averaging 70?
Based on ability to face the best bowlers specially from Australia. Not performing too badly in the last series in Australia.

His ability to bowl usefully in a track like Sydney if required.

Averages arent every thing in cricket, pecially if you just look at just recent ones.

Who is best equipped to face the Australian attack, who would you have confidence in when Warne is bowling? Tendulkar in the middle order most definitely.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
And the fact that Sachin scored 241* & another 60* odd in the 2nd innings of the 4th test against Australia at Sydney last year. If there is one batsman that the Aussies genuinely fear over the years, it's Sachin.

Plus, there are 4 spots in the middle order, so it has to be Dravid, Sachin, Lara, Kallis. IMO Inzi is a better choice than Flintoff, even.But neither Inzamam or Flintoff are anywhere near Sachin Tendulkar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure it will negate Sangy at all... Personally, I won't select Kallis, as he has not too much against Australia and I think, I would back Sachin to succeed against Australia in Australia than Kallis. Esp. since he is not willing to bowl at good batsmen......

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would you then have Shoaib in your team or not? I'm assuming that you haven't picked Flintoff.

Personally, I'm adamant that if Shoaib is to play, then Flintoff has to as well, for Kallis isn't a bowling option IMO. This is because Shoaib will be at his most dangerous in short sharp bursts, which you can allow for only if you have 5 legitimate bowling options.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Okay, here is the team I would back to succeed most against Australia....

Sehwag
Strauss/Vaughan/Smith
Dravid
Lara
Sachin
Sangy
Flintoff
Pollock/ some other in form seamer
Kumble/Kaneria/Vettori/Giles (based on form and fitness)
Akhtar/Harmison (or some other good genuine class fast bowler)
Murali (or some other spinner if he is not fit)

I think that side looks good.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
Okay, here is the team I would back to succeed most against Australia....

Sehwag
Strauss/Vaughan/Smith
Dravid
Lara
Sachin
Sangy
Flintoff
Pollock/ some other in form seamer
Kumble/Kaneria/Vettori/Giles (based on form and fitness)
Akhtar/Harmison (or some other good genuine class fast bowler)
Murali (or some other spinner if he is not fit)

I think that side looks good.
I'm pretty happy with that make-up. Alright, enough procrastinating from me. I'll choose a side.

Test Matches
Sehwag
Vaughan*
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Sangakkara+
Flintoff
Pollock
Kumble
Shoaib
Muralitharan

The only ones that I'd be happy to bend on is if Harmison has a successful Ashes, then pick him over Shoaib. And if this happens, and Flintoff has a poor Ashes, then have Kallis for Flintoff, as the stress on the bowling resources is lessened by the inclusion of Harmison, who is capable of bowling a greater number of quality overs than Shoaib, and therefore Kallis is used in more off a partnership breaker role.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, I would be bewildered if the final XI looks too different from these sides that we have picked... I am still not convinced about Kallis over Flintoff. By Marc's argument, he wants to choose Kallis solely as a batsman over Sachin, but beyond all the points that have been mentioned in favour of Sachin, there is one more important point, atleast important IMO..... Kallis has never scored a double century and from a no.4 batsman, I am looking for a double century, not just a hundred as double centuries can really set the game up. I think Sachin is capable of doing that more than Kallis. Ideally, in any test side, nos.3,4,5 should be capable of making double centuries, IMHO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Remember, Sachin only made his first double century against Aus in 03/04. It's not as though he's been churning them out for years. But yes, I do get your point.

Deja moo

International Captain
It seems pretty strange to leave out Kallis, a top 3 batsman. But more strangely, it actually makes sense ! He'd be pretty ****ed off though if he were left out.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
Test Matches
Sehwag
Vaughan*
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Sangakkara+
Pollock
Kumble
Shoaib
Muralitharan
Forgot something? :)

vic_orthdox said:
Remember, Sachin only made his first double century against Aus in 03/04. It's not as though he's been churning them out for years. But yes, I do get your point.
Do you mean first double century, or first double century against Australia? Prior to the 241* at Sydney, Tendulkar had 2 doubles, and he's made another since then (and a 194*).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
vic_orthdox said:
I'm pretty happy with that make-up. Alright, enough procrastinating from me. I'll choose a side.

Test Matches
Sehwag
Vaughan*
Dravid
Lara
Tendulkar
Sangakkara+
Pollock
Kumble
Shoaib
Muralitharan
As Dasa has pointed out there's only 10 players in your Team.
I doubt very much Murali is going to play in this one !!

My prediction is Kumble and Vettori will be the spinners.

masterblaster

International Captain
JASON said:
As Dasa has pointed out there's only 10 players in your Team.
I doubt very much Murali is going to play in this one !!

My prediction is Kumble and Vettori will be the spinners.
Well then it wouldn't be a World XI would it? You need Murali there without a doubt.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
It seems pretty strange to leave out Kallis, a top 3 batsman. But more strangely, it actually makes sense ! He'd be pretty ****ed off though if he were left out.
Indeed. Based on the last couple of years, the top 5 batsmen in the world would look something like Dravid, Ponting, Kallis, Lara and Martyn, and Tendukar wouldn't make it. Nevertheless, it is pretty hard to justify leaving him out of a World XI, and if he plays it's certainly Kallis who must miss out.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Forgot something? :)

Do you mean first double century, or first double century against Australia? Prior to the 241* at Sydney, Tendulkar had 2 doubles, and he's made another since then (and a 194*).
Haha. I was completely wrong. I apologise.

And I still think the World XI will win with only 10 players...that's why I've only got 10 in there :p

But seriously, I'll fix it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
honestbharani said:
By Marc's argument, he wants to choose Kallis solely as a batsman over Sachin, but beyond all the points that have been mentioned in favour of Sachin
Who is number 1 batsman in the World at the moment and who is number 12?

Which averages double the other in the last 12 months (when discounting the minnow bashing)?