• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzimam's recent comments on Akhtar

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
"Shoaib has disciplinary problems ... my concern is that it has a negative impact on other players also."
link

Mr. Potatoe head solidified his stance that he doesn't want Akhtar on his team. Woolmer concurs. I believe those words aren't what they seem. It is my opinion that they are being unfair in their treatment of the bowling star. We are all well aware of Inzimam's and Woolmer's dislike of Akhtar, but kicking someone whilst they are down is just low. I think Inzimam has a personal vendetta against akhtar, and maybe even envy, because he is dragging this out in the media. Why humiliate your own? Why take a personal pmsing session out infront of national and international media? If he is a real man, and isn't insecure, he should really settle his personal beef behind the scenes PERSONALLY. As a ex patriate Pakistani, I have lost respect of Inzimam and his bullying ways. I understand that tensions exist, but I don't believe bickering publically is the way to solve any of it. I am not an akhtar fan, but I have taken this stance after keeping up with the media surrounding the pakistani cricketers. I also haven't heard ANYONE besides Inzimam and Woolmer express such genuine personal bias against akhtar. I mean give the guy a break. He has his problems, but kicking his sack while he is already down, is just bullying. I have lost respect for Mr. Potatoe head and Dr. Kaborkian in this.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i think what he said was fair enough... shaoib cant expect to always be given a spot on the team just cause he can bowl well every now and then, he needs to improve his discipline for sure, i reckon

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well thats true, but again thats your opinion. My point is that if you are going to drag something out into the open, atleast give both sides of the problem. All I have heard Inzimam say is how undisciplined Akhtar is. Well, thats fair enough, but since he is exploiting that, why not actually come out and say EXACTLY what is wrong with him or what Inzimam expects of Akhtar. Why beat around the Bush. Saying someone is simply "not an integral part of the team" isn't very professional if you don't give the specifics of your concern.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe he wants him in the side, but only when he realises the team is bigger than the individual?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
Maybe he wants him in the side, but only when he realises the team is bigger than the individual?
Word.

As much as I like Akhtar, I think this phase will be the biggest learning phase of his career, if he understands the point.

Akhtar needs to understand that getting involved in unnecessary controversies has hampered him more than any thing. 36 tests in 7 and half years for whatever reason is just not enough.

And I dont think Pakistan fans should complain as long as the team is doing well atleat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pakistan's attack without Shoaib and Shabbir and with Kaneria still not fulfilling his potential is almost as bad as New Zealand's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kaneria's Test-match-class-opposition average (ie excluding Bangladesh) is 35.02, very disappointing for a player as obviously classy as him.
And since the start of his career I've said the same thing about him - he needs to spin the ball a bit more. And still it hasn't looked like happening.
And as a result out of 21 matches he's bowled well in just 6 of them, a disappointing return from someone who's been in the game at the top level for 4 years now and should be making the improvements it's obvious he needs to.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Kaneria's Test-match-class-opposition average (ie excluding Bangladesh) is 35.02, very disappointing for a player as obviously classy as him.
And since the start of his career I've said the same thing about him - he needs to spin the ball a bit more. And still it hasn't looked like happening.
And as a result out of 21 matches he's bowled well in just 6 of them, a disappointing return from someone who's been in the game at the top level for 4 years now and should be making the improvements it's obvious he needs to.
I am sure he has bowled well in more than 6 matches, bowling well doesnt always transfer over to the bowling analysis unfortunately

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Kaneria in the past three series (1 year)

Sri Lanka in Pakistan, 2004/05 [Series]
- 2 6 5* 6.00 0 0 15 7/118 24.00 1 2 0
Pakistan in Australia, 2004/05 [Series]
Aus 3 18 9* 6.00 0 0 15 7/188 37.33 2 0 0
Pakistan in India, 2004/05 [Series]
- 3 18 8* 9.00 0 0 19 6/150 31.52 2 2 0

Dude 49 wickets in 8 test matches in damn good. I dont know where you got the average of 35.02 from and what you consider recent.

I really also do not know how you got the figure of bowling well in only 6 matches in his career when he has performed well in atleast 4-5 matches atleast of the 8 he has played recently.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I would've thought that anyone who watched Aus vs Pak this past southern summer would have seen three matches where he's bowled well...

OK, he'd have a few three or four over patches in matches where he gets smashed, but when your bowling 30 to 40 overs an innings like he was, thats hardly disgraceful.

Tastigersfan

Cricket Spectator
Getting back to the Shoab debate I believe Inzi's comments are right. It means it would actually be hard for Shoab to play under his captaincy however and maybe not the best place for it to be addressed.

Despite how well he bowls, the whole team has looked better when he was not around and there have being more than murmurings about how much the Pakistan team are when he is not around.

Perhaps if Shoab wants to play test cricket again he better undergo a major spate of growing up.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its difficult to get into either Inzy's or shoaib's shoes or minds to take sides on their spat but surely if most members of the side are not to hapy about Shoaib and his attitude and the team seems ahppier without him, as is the case by most acounts, Shoaib needs to address some issues.

This is not just between him and his skipper, it would appear.

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Seems like Pakistan hasn't changed since the 90s... politics still exist. Shoaib is good enough to make it on the ICC World XI and yet he can't make it on the Pak XI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
I am sure he has bowled well in more than 6 matches, bowling well doesnt always transfer over to the bowling analysis unfortunately
I've seen enough of Kaneria to know that when he bowls well he gets the figures almost without fail. Like most wristspinners, in fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Kaneria in the past three series (1 year)

Sri Lanka in Pakistan, 2004/05 [Series]
- 2 6 5* 6.00 0 0 15 7/118 24.00 1 2 0
Pakistan in Australia, 2004/05 [Series]
Aus 3 18 9* 6.00 0 0 15 7/188 37.33 2 0 0
Pakistan in India, 2004/05 [Series]
- 3 18 8* 9.00 0 0 19 6/150 31.52 2 2 0

Dude 49 wickets in 8 test matches in damn good. I dont know where you got the average of 35.02 from and what you consider recent.

I really also do not know how you got the figure of bowling well in only 6 matches in his career when he has performed well in atleast 4-5 matches atleast of the 8 he has played recently.
The 35.02 is overall, out of his 21 Test-matches, not any recent figure.
Out of the 8 Tests you've named he bowled well in 3 of them. He certainly didn't bowl very well at The SCG - he went for 204 off 52 overs on a turning pitch. That summed-up perfectly how disappointing his career has been. This Test was perhaps his greatest opportunity yet - he could have demolished the Australians, taken 14 or 15 wickets, at a good economy-rate.
And also, 49 wickets in 8 Tests at 31 isn't really that good. And out of his first 13 Tests he bowled well just 3. So yes, he is getting better - slowly. I'm just kind of hoping it might quicken-up so that he's bowling like he can more often than not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
I would've thought that anyone who watched Aus vs Pak this past southern summer would have seen three matches where he's bowled well...

OK, he'd have a few three or four over patches in matches where he gets smashed, but when your bowling 30 to 40 overs an innings like he was, thats hardly disgraceful.
He certainly didn't bowl well at The WACA, and he bowled well only in very small patches at The SCG.
3 or 4 over patches out of 30 or 40 mightn't seem that much - it actually makes a hell of a difference to your figures.