• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driven through the covers.....

Link

State Vice-Captain
strauss is only up there because his avergae of balls faced will be high. Also that is why D Villiers is up there. In truth Thorpe would probally be at the top

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
its done on dismissals per defensive stroke played, so obviously Thorpe must get out more frequently playing a defensive stroke than Strauss.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Link said:
strauss is only up there because his avergae of balls faced will be high. Also that is why D Villiers is up there. In truth Thorpe would probally be at the top
Read the damn article!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always though Geoff Marsh had just about the most lovely cover drive I ever saw. But then, if it's just about your only shot, you're going to be good at it! :) But yeah, it was all timing and placement. He didn't have the sheer power through the off-side of, say, Lara but when his cover drive came off the bat, it was just glorious.

Of modern players, I'd probably say Rahul Dravid plays it so well. I got a good look at it live on far too many occasions when he got his double ton in Adelaide two years ago. Damien Martyn looks stylish no matter what shot he plays and Hayden's is raw force. Lara just generally plays most off-side shots well and looks damn good doing them.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I love that Akash "can't get the ball off the square" Chopra is top of the most defensive list, blocking or leaving more balls than even Jason Gillespie.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Top_Cat said:
I always though Geoff Marsh had just about the most lovely cover drive I ever saw. But then, if it's just about your only shot, you're going to be good at it! :) But yeah, it was all timing and placement. He didn't have the sheer power through the off-side of, say, Lara but when his cover drive came off the bat, it was just glorious.

Of modern players, I'd probably say Rahul Dravid plays it so well. I got a good look at it live on far too many occasions when he got his double ton in Adelaide two years ago. Damien Martyn looks stylish no matter what shot he plays and Hayden's is raw force. Lara just generally plays most off-side shots well and looks damn good doing them.
How about Hoggard's unintentional cover drive/ forward defense/ push :p . It is so elegant in its simplicity.

I get the feeling that Lara's drives are too complicated, the hop across the stumps, the high lift of the bat, then the almighty swoosh with which it comes down before making contact with the ball. Not to mention the late flourish and the jerk of the head. Brilliance in its latter stages

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i really enjoy martyn's cover drive. strangely enough, its the only real cricket shot i can actually play well...