• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacobs slams Lara in parting shot

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
shame ridley has to be so spiteful although he does have a point, i think he owes more loyalty to lara, lara had great faith in jacobs and showed this by putting him high up the order to places as high as 4. Shame to see it has come to this imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who knows... Ridley doesn't strike me as someone who'd say something like that just to prolong his limelight...
And equally just because he thinks it's true doesn't mean it is.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it is very interesting that he has said it now, when it is no big secret that Lara preferred Browne over him for the ODIs in the Champions Trophy...... Till then, he was conveniently quiet. I think this is just a case of Ridley taking out some of his frustration on a man who was partly the reason for dropping him from the side. IF it was ALL about Lara, then pray tell me why he even dropped himself down the order to let the in-form Jacobs bat above him? I didn't think it was a good strategy, but I don't think there was any selfishness there.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... if you're not out of nick it makes sense (from a personal and team POV) to let someone else bat above you... doesn't it?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And when you are out of the side, it makes even more sense to dish it out about your captain and sell your story and earn a few bucks, because you can't earn them through cricket anymore, as you have been dropped......

Craig

World Traveller
Personally Jacobs never said anything that we didn't already know.

If the West Indies team actually played as a team they could potentially achieve great success, but I guess that isn't always easy with the different islands Lara or whoever is captain could do no wrong in studing Sir Frank Worrell's captaincy. He was able to actually get the West Indies to play as a team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
And when you are out of the side, it makes even more sense to dish it out about your captain and sell your story and earn a few bucks, because you can't earn them through cricket anymore, as you have been dropped......
Yet, as I've said, I don't think Ridley is one to do that sort of thing.
Nor do I think his being dropped, especially for Courtney Browne (a right-hander, of decidedly less ability), was the right decision and he'd be justified if he did feel aggrieved.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Personally Jacobs never said anything that we didn't already know.

If the West Indies team actually played as a team they could potentially achieve great success, but I guess that isn't always easy with the different islands Lara or whoever is captain could do no wrong in studing Sir Frank Worrell's captaincy. He was able to actually get the West Indies to play as a team.
Clive Lloyd, too. And Viv Richards, while he simply continued the job Lloyd had been doing for so long.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Never rated Lara as someone who is able to inspire or motivate others.. Hence the West Indies being a bit of a one man show..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope, anyone who thought Lara could be a good captain was kidding themselves.
Anyone got a better alternative? Anyone seriously think Chanderpaul is any better? Because, for the reasons Liam pointed-out in some thread, Chanderpaul is certainly not cut-out to be a leader.
Indeed, the question must be asked - who has been (from The Caribbean) from 1995?
Richie Richardson was surely the last good captain West Indies had.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jimmy Adams was a totally outstanding bloke, but I don't think he made a great skipper.. I guess it was RR..

Is Sarwan not considered to be a good leader? Can't say I like him at all, but he seems to be in a good position to be a capt..

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Yeah I guess Sarwan's the best option for the job. Wavell Hinds maybe if he could stay in the team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The fact that Ridley Jacobs made comments on a team mate right after he retired from cricket shows more about his character than any thing about the captaincy skills etc of Lara.

Sudeep

International Captain
But as a player "in the team" would you want to blurt out against the captain? Wouldn't that result in getting into his wrong eye?

To me, if Jacobs always felt the same way about Lara, it makes perfect sense that he opened his mouth now when he has retired.

Mind you, I'm NOT saying I think Lara is selfish. I'm just advocating that Jacobs shouldn't be blamed for trying to earn limelight or a few bucks, nor should his character be judged based on this.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
hmm

There are few things which should remain within the team and players. Which is why I fel Jacob's comments were in poor taste.

A lot of players can have a lot of problems with each other within a team and may have strong views against each other. When they play as a unit, they share a trust and the main objective should be to achieve victory once you put your team/country cap on.

Just because I am out of the team, I start blurting about my team mates is very poor in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Just because I am not out of the team, I start blurting about my team mates is very poor in my opinion.
Sorry? Jacobs IS out of the team.

Sudeep

International Captain
It still depends on how passionately you feel about something. Jacobs, if he does so, should be applauded in my opinion to not bring this up while he was playing. If he feels that opening his mouth now is going to cause a difference or bring about a change, he has every right to do so.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
It still depends on how passionately you feel about something. Jacobs, if he does so, should be applauded in my opinion to not bring this up while he was playing. If he feels that opening his mouth now is going to cause a difference or bring about a change, he has every right to do so.
If his intention is just to help Windies cricket it is perfectly okay according to me.

But can we say it is that motive or a player who is sore and bitter after being 'treated unfairly' as he put it. In Jacob's own words '"After my injury and knee surgery in Britain, I lost my motivation. I realised at that time they didn't care about me. Well, I knew before that, because they were always doing things to frustrate me."

Even if Jacobs believes Lara is one of the factors for the detriment of Windies cricket (he is entitled to his views) how can he say he is the single most important reason when he himself points some other factors like marginalisation of Leeward Islands (a team who has done so well this year courtesy the performances of Jacobs to great degree as well), selection policies etc.

Jacobs could not have said these comments before he retired but the fact that the next thing he does after retirement is criticise a former team mate can be as much in bitterness as with the good intention to improve Windies cricket.

Jacobs was a fighter and I doubt he has nothing but good of Windies cricket. Retired players also may carry a bit of bitterness for some time. The comments were a mixture of the two IMO.