• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jacobs slams Lara in parting shot

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
If his intention is just to help Windies cricket it is perfectly okay according to me.

But can we say it is that motive or a player who is sore and bitter after being 'treated unfairly' as he put it. In Jacob's own words '"After my injury and knee surgery in Britain, I lost my motivation. I realised at that time they didn't care about me. Well, I knew before that, because they were always doing things to frustrate me."

Even if Jacobs believes Lara is one of the factors for the detriment of Windies cricket (he is entitled to his views) how can he say he is the single most important reason when he himself points some other factors like marginalisation of Leeward Islands (a team who has done so well this year courtesy the performances of Jacobs to great degree as well), selection policies etc.

Jacobs could not have said these comments before he retired but the fact that the next thing he does after retirement is criticise a former team mate can be as much in bitterness as with the good intention to improve Windies cricket.

Jacobs was a fighter and I doubt he has nothing but good of Windies cricket. Retired players also may carry a bit of bitterness for some time. The comments were a mixture of the two IMO.
Agreed, but since it's a mixture of both, why judge his character, like you suggested earlier? The question of character would come if he's trying to be in the limelight with this, which doesn't seem to be the cause. He either wants to take out frustrations of his bitterness, or help Windies cricket. Either doesn't suggest of having a low character IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
Agreed, but since it's a mixture of both, why judge his character, like you suggested earlier? The question of character would come if he's trying to be in the limelight with this, which doesn't seem to be the cause. He either wants to take out frustrations of his bitterness, or help Windies cricket. Either doesn't suggest of having a low character IMO.
Its a matter of principles. Suppose I am some one's friend and we in that friendship share the darkest of secrets. Just because the friendship has broken, I can resort to move on or start washing dirty linen in public.

The fact that he commented soon after retiring shows he carried a lot of baggage and resentment and let it out almost targeting Lara. Comments such as "He can't afford to be selfish. With this captain, it is not for the love of the game any more, it's for him." about Lara questioning his love for the game arent in the right spirit really.

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Its a matter of principles. Suppose I am some one's friend and we in that friendship share the darkest of secrets. Just because the friendship has broken, I can resort to move on or start washing dirty linen in public.

The fact that he commented soon after retiring shows he carried a lot of baggage and resentment and let it out almost targeting Lara. Comments such as "He can't afford to be selfish. With this captain, it is not for the love of the game any more, it's for him." about Lara questioning his love for the game arent in the right spirit really.
Probably correct in the second paragraph you are, to an extent. But then again, to think that Lara didn't favour Jacobs, despite him not being totally out of form, must have stirred him up. What I'm saying is that Jacobs did what normal people would do, which is why he shouldn't be blamed of anything. Once again, I'm saying this because I only know of Jacobs's side of the story.

But I'm not sure if the example you gave is apt. :p It's not that Lara shared with Jacobs that he's guilty of selfishness. It's something he experienced as a teammate.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
But I'm not sure if the example you gave is apt. :p It's not that Lara shared with Jacobs that he's guilty of selfishness. It's something he experienced as a teammate.
It is about ethics. You pointed out that we know only Jacob's side of the story on the matter and we do not know Lara's side. Is it because he is forbidden to speak on former players too? Ponting got away with saying things abou Lara's 400. So Lara could have said some things if he wanted.

The fact that he kept mumb and didnt go throwing pots and pans on Jacobs is highly appreciated.

Sudeep

International Captain
Pratyush said:
It is about ethics. You pointed out that we know only Jacob's side of the story on the matter and we do not know Lara's side. Is it because he is forbidden to speak on former players too? Ponting got away with saying things abou Lara's 400. So Lara could have said some things if he wanted.

The fact that he kept mumb and didnt go throwing pots and pans on Jacobs is highly appreciated.
Lara is bound to keep mum (not mumb, dude :p) because he's a captain, his speaking out would only further the thing. Jacobs is not bound by that, maybe he is thinking a controversy here could help Windies cricket. If Jacobs is indeed serious about what he's saying, I'm sure we'll here Lara's part of the story once he's sure it wouldn't involve any controversy. Once again, I stress the fact that I'm not arguing against Lara, but I'm just saying that just because Jacobs decided to go public with this doesn't mean he should be judged as someone who is trying to gain something through this.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
Lara is bound to keep mum (not mumb, dude :p) because he's a captain, his speaking out would only further the thing.
I know you are not saying you agree or disagree with Jacob's comments but why should Lara care if he is selfish and thinks only of himself ;) Also as I earlier pointed out he could make some remark surely if Ponting, another international captain can make one on Lara being selfish.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Jimmy Adams was a totally outstanding bloke, but I don't think he made a great skipper.. I guess it was RR..

Is Sarwan not considered to be a good leader? Can't say I like him at all, but he seems to be in a good position to be a capt..
Can't see Sarwan being anything other than a terrible captain...
I liked Adams too, still do in fact. But no, he wasn't much of a captain, either tactically or motivational-wise - far, far too nice, worried too much about upsetting people. He'd be a great Duncan Fletcher-style coach if he had tactical acumen, but no good as a captain.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am sorry....... I beg to differ there. First of all, if it was always about Lara, how in the hell was he able to get a side to win the Champions Trophy? Surely, there were no real outstanding individual contributions there, esp. from Lara. So, I don't think his opinions on Lara are all that justified by facts. And second of all, his timing is definitely suspicious. He didn't open his mouth when he was playing because that is how he had to earn his bucks and now that he is no longer in the side, he has figured out 'this' way of earning money....... Everyone and THEIR MOTHER know that the best way to make money and get publicity is by attacking Lara if you are in the Caribbean and by attacking Sachin if you are in India. I am sorry, but IMHO, this is enough to judge is character.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Jimmy Adams was a totally outstanding bloke, but I don't think he made a great skipper.. I guess it was RR..

Is Sarwan not considered to be a good leader? Can't say I like him at all, but he seems to be in a good position to be a capt..
Said the right things in the media, but that was it. Although his first two series did start off well.

Sudeep

International Captain
honestbharani said:
I am sorry....... I beg to differ there. First of all, if it was always about Lara, how in the hell was he able to get a side to win the Champions Trophy? Surely, there were no real outstanding individual contributions there, esp. from Lara. So, I don't think his opinions on Lara are all that justified by facts. And second of all, his timing is definitely suspicious. He didn't open his mouth when he was playing because that is how he had to earn his bucks and now that he is no longer in the side, he has figured out 'this' way of earning money....... Everyone and THEIR MOTHER know that the best way to make money and get publicity is by attacking Lara if you are in the Caribbean and by attacking Sachin if you are in India. I am sorry, but IMHO, this is enough to judge is character.
For a moment, let's just consider Jacobs, not Lara.

Jacobs has a problem with Lara, and he seriously thinks what he commented about him.

He can't open his mouth when he was playing because a) he's worried about losing his spot b) it would cause a bigger controversy.

He opens his mouth now because a) he's not in the risk of losing anything b) the controversy wouldn't be as huge.

As I said, Jacobs might still be in the wrong, but since we don't know all the facts, it's too early to judge his character.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sudeep said:
For a moment, let's just consider Jacobs, not Lara.

Jacobs has a problem with Lara, and he seriously thinks what he commented about him.

He can't open his mouth when he was playing because a) he's worried about losing his spot b) it would cause a bigger controversy.

He opens his mouth now because a) he's not in the risk of losing anything b) the controversy wouldn't be as huge.

As I said, Jacobs might still be in the wrong, but since we don't know all the facts, it's too early to judge his character.
He opens his mouth now because a) he's not in the risk of losing anything b) the controversy wouldn't be as huge and c) that way, he can make some bucks....

Maybe I was too harsh in judging his character from this one instance alone, but I am afraid I will always hold this against him when discussing about him any other time again...

Sudeep

International Captain
honestbharani said:
He opens his mouth now because a) he's not in the risk of losing anything b) the controversy wouldn't be as huge and c) that way, he can make some bucks....

Maybe I was too harsh in judging his character from this one instance alone, but I am afraid I will always hold this against him when discussing about him any other time again...
To me, he did what 90% of the people in his place would do.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, of course it would - but I really, genuinely don't believe that he's the type of guy to come-out with some rubbish just to prolong his time in the limelight.
I think he genuinely believes what he's said. I don't, personally, agree with him, principally because I realise how difficult it is to play for oneself to the denegration of the team.