• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The England development squad

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think this just about warrants its own thread. Here's the 25 in full (central contracted players marked with asterisk) :

Michael Vaughan*
Kabir Ali
James Anderson*
Gareth Batty
Ian Bell
Mark Butcher*
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff*
Ashley Giles*
Darren Gough
Stephen Harmison*
Matthew Hoggard*
Geraint Jones*
Simon Jones*
Robert Key
Jon Lewis
Kevin Pietersen
Chris Read
Vikram Solanki
Andrew Strauss*
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
Graham Thorpe*
Marcus Trescothick*
Alex Wharf.

No real surprises, although Tremlett seems to have crept above Sajid Mahmood in the pecking order. Swann seems to have impressed on the "A" tour & Chris Read retained at Matt Prior's expense.

I'm hoping that the central cotracts where decided on previously too; otherwise Jimmy Anderson & Butch have been v fortunate.

kendall

U19 Vice-Captain
Pleased for Tremlet he is becoming a quality bowler aslong as he is still able to play for hampshire. Not totaly convinced this development squad is a great idea i suppose there is nothing really wrong with it

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Much as expected I'd say - they're the 25 from which the England side will come this season barring a miracle run of form or injuries.

Only unlucky one is Prior really, but with 25 being named there's certainly plenty of very lucky names.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
well done tremlett, glad to see chris read in there as well ahead of prior if you ask me.

also nice to see swann, although its a shame we still have rob key lingering around these parts...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really - while Key is almost certainly not Test-class can anyone seriously name that many batsmen knocking-around who are much better?
As to the Read issue - delighted that he's picked ahead of Prior, having seen the two of them bat plenty of times I have precisely no doubt Read is the better batsman, and hopefully this indicates that he's in line for a ODI return whenever they get fed-up with Jones' uselessness in ODIs.
And as for Chris Tremlett... I'd prefer him to Mahmood, yes (nothing in it in the looks stakes, of course), but I've never really been convinced, always struck me as someone who was extremely fortunate to start his career just as The Rose Bowl and it's poor decks was inaugurated.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Gareth Batty
one can only wonder how long they're going to consider players who have been proven to be absolutely useless at the intl level. i mean you'd think that a test bowling average of 69 would say something as to how poor a bowler he is.

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Much as expected I'd say - they're the 25 from which the England side will come this season barring a miracle run of form or injuries.
hardly, according to cricinfo, graveney has already said that players outside the 25 will also be considered for selection.

tooextracool

International Coach
sledger said:
although its a shame we still have rob key lingering around these parts...
amazing, with players like ali, batty, anderson and collingwood in the squad, its key who people are worried about.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
hardly, according to cricinfo, graveney has already said that players outside the 25 will also be considered for selection.
Yes, but realistically there's a cat's chance in hell of them getting in.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
amazing, with players like ali, batty, anderson and collingwood in the squad, its key who people are worried about.....
Don't forget Solanki tec!

12th Man

U19 12th Man
has everyone forgot richard johnson, james kirtley and martin saggers. despite them being injury prone, they are class bowlers on their day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
12th Man said:
has everyone forgot richard johnson, james kirtley and martin saggers. despite them being injury prone, they are class bowlers on their day.
Good point.

I'd guess it's possibly their age that might also count against them; IIRC they all fall into the 29-33 age bracket. Although so does Jon Lewis too TBF.

I'd guess the best they can probably hope for now is a "horses-for-courses" pick on a green-top seamer like Bicknell at Headingly in 2003 v SA.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
12th Man said:
none of them are test class or otherwise. simple as that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
sledger said:
none of them are test class or otherwise. simple as that.
I'd definitely agree that Saggers wasn't, rather an honest tradesman who can sometimes prosper in English conditions; but I think Kirtley & especially Johnson both had potential at test & ODI level.

Just a shame Johnson was seemingly incapable of playing more than 2 matches without breaking down.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yes poor old saggers he is a nice lad, who clearly tries his hardest for england and makes the most of his talent. Kirtley on the other hand has a dodgy action and was innefective in the england side since the matches against south africa, as for johnson yes i could say the same about him, but i never really rated him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
12th Man said:
They're good county bowlers, but that's about it.

Link

State Vice-Captain
a bit dissapointed to see prior miss out. Read has lost his place in the team twice now, and he still has not scored big runs which is holding him out of the team. Jones does not even look like losing his place to read, but to prior, maybe

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
They're good county bowlers, but that's about it.
How do you know that's it? Johnson has played 1 proper Test, FCOL! How the hell do you know he's not a Test-class bowler?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
12th Man said:
Everyone always forgets Johnson - Saggers is a bit too old, really - he blew the 2 chances he got, sadly.
And I'd be surprised to see Kirtley get selected again TBH - not really sure he's Test-class either.