• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hinds and Smith in confrontation

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Possibly being discussed in *Official* thread... but as Dippenaar thumps Deonarine for a massive six Hinds and Smith have been exchanging words and stares aplenty... well, Hinds has.
It all starts with Michael Holding telling us that as a fellow Jamaican he could tell us what Hinds said but it'd not be fit for airing; Hinds then quite clearly does all he can to hit Smith, overstepping by about a mile and bowling quite the most blatant chuck you'll ever see.
Question in my mind is... what the hell is going on here? How can such a dire, nothing Test-match have something like this happen as the embers are glowing and preparing to go out?

Link

State Vice-Captain
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
its good for the game, livens it up (as long as its within the boundaries of acceptance), also it keeps the batsmen on his toes

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Possibly being discussed in *Official* thread... but as Dippenaar thumps Deonarine for a massive six Hinds and Smith have been exchanging words and stares aplenty... well, Hinds has.
It all starts with Michael Holding telling us that as a fellow Jamaican he could tell us what Hinds said but it'd not be fit for airing; Hinds then quite clearly does all he can to hit Smith, overstepping by about a mile and bowling quite the most blatant chuck you'll ever see.
Question in my mind is... what the hell is going on here? How can such a dire, nothing Test-match have something like this happen as the embers are glowing and preparing to go out?

didnt see it, but frustration springs to mind..also it wouldnt surprise me if Smith had said some stuff before hand

Link

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
didnt see it, but frustration springs to mind..also it wouldnt surprise me if Smith had said some stuff before hand
yeah most probally, Smith probally deserves it. I remember a game earlier on in the series. Hinds left just three balls outside the off stump in a row, and SMith started shouting at him calling him boring. that must of gt up Hinds' back. Therefore, payback time :happy:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Even if Hinds was the sole perpetrator in all this nastiness, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be Smith cast as the hate figure on here as usual..

Swervy

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Even if Hinds was the sole perpetrator in all this nastiness, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be Smith cast as the hate figure on here as usual..
nothing wrong with Smith dishing out the verbals IMO

Link

State Vice-Captain
theres nothing wrong with verbals, there is always talk going on out there, you never see a players lips closed. they are not saying well bowled all the time.
ive heard some great things when i have batted over the past

Langeveldt

Soutie
I despise absolutely all kind of verbals on a cricket field, unless its in the form of "well done mate", or a handshake.. If I have a problem, I make it known after the game.. I get very disappointed with people who try to gain some sort of advantage by using their mouth..

Smith has gone down in my book because of his lip, and even though Donald inspired me with his agression, I don't look back at his Afrikaans lesson to Atherton as a particularly good thing.. Far rather remember the stumps coming out the ground.. Thats how I play my cricket..

Link

State Vice-Captain
i would rather that too, but agreeing with you would make me hypocritical if you get what i mean :p. i cant help it

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Except when he then cries to the press about being on the receiving end...
That's my big issue with the tubby lardster too. Oh, and when he gave evidence against Vaughan I think he definitely contravened an unwritten code between fellow pros.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
I despise absolutely all kind of verbals on a cricket field, unless its in the form of "well done mate", or a handshake.. If I have a problem, I make it known after the game.. I get very disappointed with people who try to gain some sort of advantage by using their mouth..

Smith has gone down in my book because of his lip, and even though Donald inspired me with his agression, I don't look back at his Afrikaans lesson to Atherton as a particularly good thing.. Far rather remember the stumps coming out the ground.. Thats how I play my cricket..
It is a part of the game in my opinion. I'm all for sledging as long as it isn't anything violent or degrading. But a simple "Send him back to re-string his racket" or a "Do you have a receipt for that bat, because it isn't working and you might want to take it back" doesn't do anyone any harm and can often break the tension out on the field.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Too much is made of the sledging issue.

How many people try and sledge Sachin Tendulkar? McGrath tried it and it pepped the batsman to thrash him all over the park. Manjrekar once made an interesting comment that when Tendulkar is batting you want to almost make things seem boring and dull. If you start talking with him, you only make him keener to bat well. Craig McMillian tried to show his sledging prowess on an Indian tour of New Zealand only to find out it doesnt work against Tendulkar.

The point is, only the weaker players mentally would be impacted by sledging. I do not like personal sledging. Its stupid to disrespect an opposition player to try and get him out by calling him names. If you want to talk about his technique etc, to get into his mind, that is fine with me.

But the players much be strong enough to concentrate on the tast at hand and not be effected by the trash talk.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Isnt there supposed to be the big thing about not sledging Brian Lara, otherwise you just make him more determined to make runs, e.g. Andy Bichel was playing for the Australia A team in a four day game against the touring Windies, and Lara seemed horribly out of form. Eventually, Bichel couldn't help himself and had a dig at him. A few overs later, Lara went: 4 4 4 4 4 4. Lesson learnt.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Isnt there supposed to be the big thing about not sledging Brian Lara, otherwise you just make him more determined to make runs, e.g. Andy Bichel was playing for the Australia A team in a four day game against the touring Windies, and Lara seemed horribly out of form. Eventually, Bichel couldn't help himself and had a dig at him. A few overs later, Lara went: 4 4 4 4 4 4. Lesson learnt.
Years ago and probably more recently, this is true but I remember a time when it came out that Lara could be unsettled by verbals. Right after he got out to Zoe Goss in the OD game at the SCG, apparently verbals worked on him where they hadn't before. Now, it's probably back to what it was, though.

As for the current confrontation, well the game needed something. Watching the WI bat for 235 overs would surely have been some of the most boring cricket of all time. Even including Gayle's triple hundred.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
Years ago and probably more recently, this is true but I remember a time when it came out that Lara could be unsettled by verbals. Right after he got out to Zoe Goss in the OD game at the SCG, apparently verbals worked on him where they hadn't before. Now, it's probably back to what it was, though.

As for the current confrontation, well the game needed something. Watching the WI bat for 235 overs would surely have been some of the most boring cricket of all time. Even including Gayle's triple hundred.
I think it must have been during his slump period, when he said stuff like "Cricket is ruining my life" etc.... He never played with too much responsibility during that period of about 18 months or so... And I still don't think he is as good as he was back then.......... But yeah, when he is focussed and committed as he is now, sledging him can only add on to your woes as a bowler.....