• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next person to get all 9 centuries

shaka

International Regular
Cricinfo did the ask steven this week, and said five people have made the milestone of centuries against all countries played against, at time of writing this five people have made the list with Atapattu being the newest member. My question however is who will be the next person to do so?

The people who are closing on the milestone and are still playing include, (brackets are for the team without a century against)
Ponting ( Bangladesh)
Hayden ( Bangladesh)
Langer (Zimbabwe and Bangladesh)
Lara (Pakistan)
Kallis (SL)
Ul-Haq (RSA)
Gilchrist (Bangladesh)
Gibbs (SL)
Youhana (RSA and SL)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is a shame there is no Englishman on that list, otherwise it would be highly likely it would be them, considering they are next to play Zimbabwe. Depends which of those teams get to play the team they need next, and then it isn't a given. I'd have to have a look at that before I made my choice.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
shaka said:
Cricinfo did the ask steven this week, and said five people have made the milestone of centuries against all countries played against, at time of writing this five people have made the list with Atapattu being the newest member. My question however is who will be the next person to do so?

The people who are closing on the milestone and are still playing include, (brackets are for the team without a century against)
Ponting ( Bangladesh)
Hayden ( Bangladesh)
Langer (Zimbabwe and Bangladesh)
Lara (Pakistan)
Kallis (SL)
Ul-Haq (RSA)
Gilchrist (Bangladesh)
Gibbs (SL)
Youhana (RSA and SL)
Its astonishing Lara has never made a ton against Pakistan.

Link

State Vice-Captain
i rekon brian is aware of that fact, therefore by the end of next month he will not be able to go on that list.
That list will also radically change the next time australia play bangladesh, or if they lose test match status, one of the two.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing how many Australians have just Bangladesh to go. Australia has played just two tests ever against Bangladesh, and just three against Zimbabwe in the last decade. Logic suggests that next Australia-Bangladesh series (which off the top of my head is midway through 2006) should see a couple of new members to the 9 century club.

Lara should join in the next series, however.

Link

State Vice-Captain
that wont matter, Lara has and will score hundreds every where. Thats a good point anyone willing to research into how many different countries or places lara has scored tons in?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Link said:
that wont matter, Lara has and will score hundreds every where. Thats a good point anyone willing to research into how many different countries or places lara has scored tons in?
19 places, seven Test countries, 13 countries:

St John's, Antigua (4 tons)
Manchester, England (2)
SSC, Colombo, Sri Lanka (2)
Georgetown, Guyana (2)
Bridgetown, Barbados (2)
Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago (2)
Kingston, Jamaica (2)
Adelaide, Australia (1)
Sydney, Australia (1)
Perth, Australia (1)
The Oval, London, England (1)
Nottingham, England (1)
Wellington, New Zealand (1)
Johannesburg, South Africa (1)
Cape Town, South Africa (1)
Galle, Sri Lanka (1)
Kingstown, St Vincent (1)
Gros Islet, St Lucia (1)
Bulawayo, Zimbabwe (1)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Link said:
Lara's centuries in order:
277 at SCG vs Australia

167 at Bourda vs England
375 at Antigua Rec Ground vs England

147 at Basin Reserve vs New Zealand
145 at Old Trafford vs England
179 at Brit Oval vs England

None

132 at WACA vs Australia
103 at Antigua vs India
115 at Arnos Vale Ground vs Sri Lanka

None

213 at Sabina Park vs Australia
153* at Kensington Oval vs Australia
100 at Antigua vs Australia

112 vs England at Old Trafford
182 vs Australia at Adelaide Oval

178 at Galle vs Sri Lanka
221 at SSG vs Sri Lanka
130 at SSG vs Sri Lanka

None

110 at Bourda vs Australia
122 at Queen's Park vs Australia
209 at Beausejour Stadium vs Sri Lanka
191 at Queens Sports Club vs ZImbabwe
202 at New Wanderers vs South Africa

115 at Newlands vs South Africa
400 at Antigua vs England
120 at Sabina Park vs Bangladesh

196 at Queen's Park vs South Africa
176 at Kensington Oval vs South Africa

All in all he has 14 centuries in the West Indies, with his best ground being Antigua where he has 4 and an average of 85.89. He has 4 in England, 3 in Australia, 3 in Sri Lanka, 2 in South Africa, 1 in New Zealand, 1 in Zimbabwe, 0 in Pakistan in 4 tests, 0 in India in 3 tests, and 0 in Bangladesh where he has never played. Shows, I suppose, moderate success in the subcontinent compared to elsewhere, with only Sri Lanka being very successful for him. Still, a nice spread elsewhere.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
It is a shame there is no Englishman on that list, otherwise it would be highly likely it would be them, considering they are next to play Zimbabwe.
None of our current guys are really close. Tresco needs Aus, India & Zim. Vaughan needs NZ, Zim & Bang. In fact, there haven't been many Englishmen who have managed the feat, and none who first appeared in the last 40 years. Gooch, Gower & Stewart came closest in that time.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
None of our current guys are really close. Tresco needs Aus, India & Zim. Vaughan needs NZ, Zim & Bang. In fact, there haven't been many Englishmen who have managed the feat, and none who first appeared in the last 40 years. Gooch, Gower & Stewart came closest in that time.
when you say "none in the last 40 years", are you referring to players who made hundreds against all the test sides playing back then? because I don't think boycott, dexter et al could make tons against bangladesh, zimbos, sri lanka...

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
Thorpe needs India, Zim and Bang as well. Fair effort though - if you discount Zim and Bang (he's only played two Tests against each), he's scored centuries against 6 of 7 countries, in 7 of 8 countries.

Link

State Vice-Captain
cheers Vimes and FDO
i was getting to the coclusion that lara scores hundreds everywhere.
cheers again

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
when you say "none in the last 40 years", are you referring to players who made hundreds against all the test sides playing back then? because I don't think boycott, dexter et al could make tons against bangladesh, zimbos, sri lanka...
Indeed. By my reckoning, there have been 4 who first appeared since WW2 who made test hundreds against all the sides of their eras.

Actually, Boycott very nearly did get to play against SL, but I've included him as one of the four as his test career was effectively over when England played there in 1982.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Thorpe needs India, Zim and Bang as well. Fair effort though - if you discount Zim and Bang (he's only played two Tests against each), he's scored centuries against 6 of 7 countries, in 7 of 8 countries.
Yup. I didn't mention him because he's expected to retire after this summer, so I don't see him playing against India & Zim again.