• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Darran Lehmann to be the new Australian selector?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I realise it would be a controversial decision, and a revolutionary one, but why not? Having a selector who has recently played test cricket and is in the current domestic system, has its negatives and positives. The obvious negatives are favouratism or backlash by not selecting 'mates', however I think Lehmann is smart enough to pick players based on talent rather than trying to please the right people. Also, I doubt he would hold any grudges against the current members of the selection panel. I think he has always had the interests of the game and Australia's future in mind. While, I doubt it will happen, I think Lehmann would be a good selector in the future.

Here's the story.

cameeel

International Captain
they cant actually choose current players as selectors can they, lehmann still plays for SA, so theres bound to be some bias, intentional or not

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Waugh seems like the most likely candidate, doesn't he? Most of the other high profile recent ex-players aren't available (eg Steve), and they will want someone recent.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
First do some work with state selections I would reckon. Just because he was a recent player is no arguement for him to be burst into the national selection panel.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
I believe ME Waugh has ruled himself out. It would be uncomfortable for both him and Boof to work with the guys who ended their careers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I may be completely wrong, but I've a suspicion that Goochie was a selector for us whilst still playing FC cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Goochie's days the captain sat on the selection panel.
Gooch certainly retired at the end of 1996, I can't remember if he was a selector before summer '97 though. He might have been, because he was effective manager by 1998\99 (and out of a job 5 months later), but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
membersstand said:
I believe ME Waugh has ruled himself out. It would be uncomfortable for both him and Boof to work with the guys who ended their careers
Mark Waugh certainly blamed no-one but himself for the end of his Test-career if I remember rightly, and I haven't heard Lehmann complaining about being dropped either.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
no its not against the rules, but i really doubt he would be selected while still playing
It doesn't mention anywhere in the article about it being against the rules:

foxsorts.com.au said:
South Australian Cricket Association general manager Harvey Jolly said Lehmann's appointment as an Australia selector while still playing first class cricket would be "one out of the box".

"Darren's well respected throughout the cricket community. I think they're pretty keen for someone who is close to the current Australian team on the panel," Jolly said.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
thats why i said its not against the rules :p

i just doubt he would be appointed while still playing.

Mister Wright

age_master said:
thats why i said its not against the rules :p

i just doubt he would be appointed while still playing.
Sorry, my bad. Yeah, I don't think he will either, but I think it would be a good move all the same.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't think Darren Lehmann would be too keen on keeping Brett lee out of the side too long. Lee might extract payback time :p

Mister Wright

cricket player said:
Why would you chose a person that couldnt keep him self into the batting line up?
Apart from Border and Boon, the other two selectors - Hilditch & Hohns were never great players, and IIRC never had extended careers in the national team.