• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next world youth cup?

brockley

International Captain
Does anyone know when and where the next youth cup is on,heard the under 19 australian side is presently preparing for it,gather it would be march /april next year thats just a guess dunno where it is tho.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Long story about the location:

* Kenya was originally supposed to have it.
* ICC found that Kenyan cricket authorities couldn't account for $5m that the ICC gave them (I think for one of the Champion Trophies, or a comp like that), got annoyed and took the U/19 world cup away from them.
* Sri Lanka said they'd have it, until the tsunami hit and they said they had more important things to worry about than holding the underage WC.
* ICC wanted to give it to a developing nation, as the established nations not from the subcontinent (i.e. Eng, Aus, SA, etc.) aren't interested in holding it because it doesn't make money, because no-one bothers attending.
* They ended up asking Malaysia if they wanted it, and Malaysia thus far have indicated that they are willing to hold it.
*Tournament will be held anywhere between Feb-April 2006, AFAIK.

RE: the Australian team. There's currently a squad of about 25 or so players, who head up to the Academy once every 3 months or so for a camp. They'll pick the actual team after the National U/19 Championship in Perth.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
your from nsw? do you just want the NSW names?? and come to think of it, the squad's probably closer to 30.

pat darwen
moises henriques
matt day
tom cooper
phillip wells
jack bird
david warner
greg clarence

brockley

International Captain
Could you tell me the full squad thanx vic,and do you know if australia under 19 have any warm up games before the youth series.
Yeh am a bluey :D .
BTW read today hodge will make his deision in the next 10 days.

brockley

International Captain
Maybe Mr shahid maybe,we have to have a youth tournament yet so maybe the best squad wasn't chosen against bangladesh.Hopefully we have a better warm before this world cup,the warm upm last time was dreadful,we don't seem to play under intenational series as much anymore or we didn't last season.
I will let ya have the upper hand shahid but will turn up the heat closer to the tournament :p .

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Australia didn't play their strongest team against Bangladesh, but it didn't seem it would matter from what I heard. Told they go on a tour in about September, not sure where to.

Squad
ACT: Adam Ritchard
NSW: Jackson Bird, Greg Clarence, Patrick Darwen, Moises Henriques, Usman Khawaja (sorry, forgot him before), Tom Cooper, Matthew Day, DAvid Warner, Phillip Wells
QLD: Darren Clark, Ben Gledhill, Joel Hughes, Graeme Skennar
SA: Peter George, Shannon Hurn (didn't go to either camp, but think he was invited)
TAS: Scott Nicholls, Matthew Wade, Matthew Lister
VIC: Steven Gilmour, Nick Lynch, Tom Stray, Jack McNamara, Aaron Finch
WA: Chris Thompson

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
vic_orthdox said:
Australia didn't play their strongest team against Bangladesh, but it didn't seem it would matter from what I heard.
Even though Bangladesh beat them at the last WC?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm saying that it wouldn't have mattered if Australia had've played their strongest team. They still would have ended up on the losing side.

EDIT: oh crap, i just realised I'd typed "would" instead of "wouldn't". will fix that up now.

EDIT x2 : no wait a second! i was right! it doesn't need to be changed. i made perfect sense. :sleep:

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Thanx vic,i think we need a good warm up and we will play a lot better in the cup.
Do you know where khwajah hails from seems to be an arabic name,he did pretty well in grade also for an 18 year old.
Bangladesh seem to be producing a lot of good youngsters lately.

cricket player

International Debutant
can some one provide me a link to last youth world cup,Great I heard bangladesh have beaten Australia that is a great news looks like bangladesh is generating some fine youngsters for the future they will be the next big team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is a stark difference as to how sub continental teams like India and Pakistan approach the youth world cup compared to Australia.

I remember a player from the Australian youth world cup squad was called back to play a first class game as that is considered more important in Australia, and rightly so.

For the subcontinental teams, making an impact in this tournament is vital to be fast tracked into the contendors for the national team. Guys like Kaif, Yuvraj, Sodhi, Pathan, Patel, Sivaramakrishnan, Ravi Shastri and now Shikar Dhawan and Raina who are frequent in the A sides are examples.

Australia, England do not give as much importance to these except as an experience. You have to do well first in the first class cricket. I believe that is indeed the right approach but it can go to extremes as was done in the case of England earlier with youngsters not being able to make debuts fast.

cricket player

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
There is a stark difference as to how sub continental teams like India and Pakistan approach the youth world cup compared to Australia.

I remember a player from the Australian youth world cup squad was called back to play a first class game as that is considered more important in Australia, and rightly so.

For the subcontinental teams, making an impact in this tournament is vital to be fast tracked into the contendors for the national team. Guys like Kaif, Yuvraj, Sodhi, Pathan, Patel, Sivaramakrishnan, Ravi Shastri and now Shikar Dhawan and Raina who are frequent in the A sides are examples.

Australia, England do not give as much importance to these except as an experience. You have to do well first in the first class cricket. I believe that is indeed the right approach but it can go to extremes as was done in the case of England earlier with youngsters not being able to make debuts fast.
You are right,I mean I dont see one youngster in the australian team besides some watson and etc all of them are old and experince players that spend most of their time playing cricket,

in sub continent specially in paksitan and india players are young and new ones are coming like dhoni etc.

brockley

International Captain
For a lot of cricketing countries a good performance in an under 19 game is a walk up start for an international call up.In australia you go through under age comps,the state academies,the australian academy,the state 2nd xl comp,grade,and thats before you get picked for your state.