• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it Really That hard to become a international cricketer?

cricket player

International Debutant
I mean When I was a child I knew That The only thing I wanted to do in my life is to play cricket and perhaps be a international cricketer,but I have realized how hard it is as of yet,Can some one please give me step by step information in how becoming one and what is the secret,I can bat and bowl but as i said cricket is 99% hard work and 1% talent what Should Do :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, of course it bloody is. There are thousands of millions of people who dreamt the same dream of playing for their country as a child, but there are only a tiny handful who go on to do it.

If you've not scored centuries or taken five- and six-fors before your tenth birthday (Graeme Hick scored his first aged five) then you've not a snowball's. It takes a damn sight more than 1% talent - if it didn't then I would have a career batting average above 2.36.

cricket player

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Yes, of course it bloody is. There are thousands of millions of people who dreamt the same dream of playing for their country as a child, but there are only a tiny handful who go on to do it.

If you've not scored centuries or taken five- and six-fors before your tenth birthday (Graeme Hick scored his first aged five) then you've not a snowball's. It takes a damn sight more than 1% talent - if it didn't then I would have a career batting average above 2.36.
How did he score a centurie in age 5 what? :blink:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Um, get real pal.. International cricket might seem like a doddle to someone who lives in a country where cricket is a minority sport..

I've done 3-4 training sessions a week for most of my life, and no amount of five wicket hauls can get me into the Somerset Academy.. And thats just the bottom of a weak county's system.. The talent and natural ability you have to have to play professional cricket, let alone international cricket is massive.. Sometimes facing the best reminds me how much of a step up it is, the class barrier is massive..

Face it, you, like pretty much everyone else here, have next to no chance.. I myself am more likely to make a name for myself as a photographer/coach, or a badminton player lol..

a massive zebra

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:

Aged six actually.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
in NSW, lets see, if your good your playing 3rd grade by the age or about 15 or 16, that you have to score plenty of runs/ take plenty wickets and work your way up inside your club, i played abit whith a guy who i must say was a few classes above the rest of the guys at our school in terms of batting (who you wouldn't say were too bad) and in year 11 we hear he missed out on selection in the NSW u/17's as a keeper, so not only did he miss out on the 6 batting spots but the keeping as well, so there were probably 6-8, maybe more better batsmen than him... now probably only 2, maybe 3 of those batsmen will play for NSW, and maybe 1 for Australia A or Australia, IF they continue to perfrom brilliantly...

as for hick scoring a century at 6 thats just rediculas, i hadn't even heard of cricket till i was 7 :(

cricket player

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
Um, get real pal.. International cricket might seem like a doddle to someone who lives in a country where cricket is a minority sport..

I've done 3-4 training sessions a week for most of my life, and no amount of five wicket hauls can get me into the Somerset Academy.. And thats just the bottom of a weak county's system.. The talent and natural ability you have to have to play professional cricket, let alone international cricket is massive.. Sometimes facing the best reminds me how much of a step up it is, the class barrier is massive..

Face it, you, like pretty much everyone else here, have next to no chance.. I myself am more likely to make a name for myself as a photographer/coach, or a badminton player lol..
So you are saying That those guys that are playing international cricket has superhuman power that no one can achieve among as what a joke!

cricket player

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Either way he wasn't very old...
So did I made a 50 when I was living in pakistan at age 9 but wasnt proper cricket though but it wasn compettion and I was playing among older people around 20s or so They were bowling really fast to me. :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cricket player said:
So you are saying That those guys that are playing international cricket has superhuman power that no one can achieve among as what a joke!
I don't fully understand that sentence, but yes, International cricketers will seem superhuman compared to mere mortals. There are reasons that players like Rich/Langeveldt (who's taken plenty of five-fers and scored half centuries) are six or seven large steps away from International cricket - steps that he'll never take.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
cricket player said:
What if I achieve a 100 as a 15 year old right this sunday will I become one :)
If you were going to be an International, you'd be playing, captaining and scoring regular fifties and centuries for USA U15 in reality, not your fantasy world.

Face it, it ain't happening.

dro87

U19 12th Man
i reckon that you need 60 % talent, 20 % hard work and 20 % luck to become a INternational cricket...

cricket player

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
If you were going to be an International, you'd be playing, captaining and scoring regular fifties and centuries for USA U15 in reality, not your fantasy world.

Yes it is going to happen no matter what :)

dro87

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:

I captain Italy Under 17... And score loads in my age gruop champs (AVG. 42 with the bat and was the leading wicket taker)...... Will i become an International cricketer? :p