• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Take a shot...anyone's shot!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
If you could take a certain shot that a certain international batsman plays so well and use it in your own game, whether to better your technique, or give yourself an extra weapon, what would it be?

For me, it would have to be the Chris Gayle pull, where he pulls his knee up into his body as he hits it. It's almost like a flick. He sometimes even plays it on line more than length, he can play it off any ball that is short of a half volley. I'd love to have that shot, just dispatching blokes over backward square leg's head everytime the ball came near middle and leg.

Thoughts??

C_C

International Captain
For me it is Tendulkar's trademark 'forward defensive that runs away for a four' shot....from a bowler's perspective, few things can equal the sheer annoyance of that.

Wouldn't mind Lawrence Rowe's late cut either......he once late-cut Mikey Holding in a domestic match....Mikey Holding!!!!!!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I wouldn't mind Lara's come down the track and hit.......He hardly ever mi***** them. It is probably because he picks up the line and length of balls a bit earlier than almost all batsmen. I remember Tony Greig, Kapil Dev and Ian Bishop say that during the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy....

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
honestbharani said:
I wouldn't mind Lara's come down the track and hit.......He hardly ever mi***** them. It is probably because he picks up the line and length of balls a bit earlier than almost all batsmen. I remember Tony Greig, Kapil Dev and Ian Bishop say that during the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy....
It is amazing how against spinners, he can come down the track, hit completely across the line, against the spin, and still take them *downtown*!!!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman's flick off the stumps off both feet to the on side.

I think this is the most devastating shot because he plays it to the best of deliveries perfect in length and irrespective of line.

I cant think of another shot to put the good bowler off his line and length and make him bowl bad deliveries which I would then pick runs off with my own, more modest, repertoire.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ramprakash's cover-drive for me.

Whatever his flaws (and I'm sure they've been discussed at great length here & elsewhere) he was (& is) a wonderfully elegant player and his cover drive is the most aesthetically pleasing shot in his repertoire.

Only player that comes as close to being as easy on the eye when in full flow was Mark Waugh.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Walter Hammond's cover drive. The most elegant shot ever seen.

If you want the discussion to focus on current players, I would say Lara's straight drive off the back foot. The shot of a quality batsman.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Another shot I would love to be able to play is Greg Blewett's cover drive. I've never seen someone take as big a step forward to the ball to play such an attacking stroke as what he used to when he was in form.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Can i have 2. One would have to be Afridi's humongous pull/drive/slog [its up to you] over mid-on. Any ball, any length, as long as he gets bat on it in that direction, no chance for long on.

another shot that appeals to me is Vikram Solanki's straight drive. I know it is very rare to see as he is not one of the more consistent players around ATM but when a bowler runs in and bowls the perfect line and length ball on off stump and he comes forward and just knocks at it with one off the more perpendicular bats you will ever see, it's magical. It is a shot timed to perfection.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
a massive zebra said:
Walter Hammond's cover drive. The most elegant shot ever seen.

If you want the discussion to focus on current players, I would say Lara's straight drive off the back foot. The shot of a quality batsman.
Yes, that drive off the back foot is quite special

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Michael Vaughan's pull shot. I love it!
I have too agree i love that shot, even though the only time i've seen it live was in his match winning hundred against Lancs last year

Legglancer

State Regular
Arjuna Ranatunga's Legglance where he can pick a delivery on or even sometimes Outside the off stump and glance it so fine ....

:D

cricket player

International Debutant
Salman butts wristy flick through off side and I am a very good off side player so I would try it once,if not the other,

But I am my own batsman so I use my own trademarks.