• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is better to watch: Gilchrist or Lara

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I say Lara, he just has that flair and style about his shots, Gilchrist is brutal and an excellent timer of the ball, but i think he is more clinical rather than stylish.

What do others think?

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist, he's explosive. Though, I haven't seen Lara much, and he's definitely, from what I've seen, exciting to watch.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Lara by a long way for me.

I don't actually like watching Gilchrist bat. Horrible swings across the line for pull shots and wild slashes outside off stump for drives just don't appeal to me at all. I'd far rather watch Ponting or Martyn in the Aussie team.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jason_M said:
I say Lara, he just has that flair and style about his shots, Gilchrist is brutal and an excellent timer of the ball, but i think he is more clinical rather than stylish.

What do others think?
Thats surprisingly difficult to answer !

I would sayf a great attack is in operation , and there arent many left, I would like to see lara bring his technical brilliance into play but if it is any ordinary attack, the likes of which we see most of the time from most countries, I would prefer Gilchrist and my glass of beer. :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
it depends on certain situation's of the match, when u want to see batting of the highest clash Lara is the man, but if u want to see a bowling attack be brutally taken apart by clean hitting & clinical strokeplay, Gilchrist is the man

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Sir Redman said:

I don't actually like watching Gilchrist bat. Horrible swings across the line for pull shots and wild slashes outside off stump for drives just don't appeal to me at all. I'd far rather watch Ponting or Martyn in the Aussie team.
Same here. I even agree with your second and third point.

Lara is one of the very few batsmen I would pay to watch. If he is batting, I will watch every ball. I can't say the same for Gilly, in fact, I am more inclined to walk away from the TV.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Sir Redman said:

Agreed completely.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:

I can understand preference for Lara but how can you castigate Gilchrist for playing "across the line" for pull shots !! How else does one play them ??

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I prefer to watch Gilchrist when he's on fire, it's pretty exciting stuff.

As far as the ugly 'across the line' pulls, and the way he drives, I have to disagree. Firstly, a pull shot will always be across the line - it's a cross bat shot, and given the angle most bowlers will be bowling to Gilchrist (i.e. right-handed over the wicket) it's unlikely he's going to be able to pull 'down the line' at any stage unless the bowler's aiming somewhere near square leg. In my opinion he's one of the best drivers of the ball going, his timing is superb.

In saying all of this, I like watching Lara too so...

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
SJS said:
I can understand preference for Lara but how can you castigate Gilchrist for playing "across the line" for pull shots !! How else does one play them ??
I'm guessing he meant the way he swings across the line!

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
I know the nature of a pull shot dictates that it is played across the line.

What I mean with Gilchrist is that he just stands there and heaves across the line instead of getting into position the way someone like Ponting does .

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sir Redman said:

What I mean with Gilchrist is that he just stands there and heaves across the line instead of getting into position the way someone like Ponting does .
Fair enough, I'll agree to disagree. Personally I think the effectiveness Gilchrist plays the shot with is indicative of something more than just a 'heave', if it was simply this then you'd probably see it get him out a lot more.

Sometimes power's mistaken for a lack of technique IMO.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:

Thats true to an extent. Gilchrist, like Sehwag is one of those players who do not rely on perfect foortwork to play their shots but they are no less effective and I dare say very exciting to watch.

I personally feel gilchrist is one of the best pull shot players I have seen. He is able to play it freom any position including off the front fot. The fact that others may not succed in playing the shot like that and survive doesnt make it a "horrible" shot in my opinion.

There arent many who play the paddle sweep and the late cut OVER the slips as well as sachin does but we ned to admire his skills for this because like in the case of Gilchrist and his pulls, sachin rarely gets out playing these unorthodox strokes.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Definetly Lara, although both batsman are very attacking, but i like the way Lara goes after the bowlers, simply amazing!!!!