• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne in war of words with Adams

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Warne in war of words with Adams

Warne makes an adjustment to his field at Hove
Hampshire have labelled Sussex skipper Chris Adams a hypocrite following claims he made against Shane Warne.
Adams accused Warne of trying to "humiliate" members of his team during last week's Championship game at Hove.

"We regard his views as somewhat hyprocritical given the way Chris himself behaved during this match and previous Hampshire-Sussex fixtures.

"However, we are not inclined to elaborate on any incident publicly," a Hampshire statement said.

The game was drawn after an exciting final day's play saw Hampshire finish on 267-8, chasing a victory target of 285.

But Adams later accused Warne of 'sledging' (verbal abuse).

In an interview for The Times, however, Warne said: "I am sick and tired of being cast as the villain because English captains give one side of the story.

"I do not like getting involved in tit for tat, but I am fed up with copping flak about sledging when there are two sides to the story.

"If Adams has lost respect for me, then I can certainly say that whatever respect I had for him has disappeared, too."

I suggest Adams takes his dummy out of his mouth, and try to keep pace with some real cricketers

From TY
Have your say on TMS

The Hampshire statement said that the umpires had not taken action against any player involved in the match.

"It is clear that Shane Warne's stature in the game makes him a target for incitement and we witnessed examples of this last season.

"Hopefully, hereafter, the umpires will be left to adjudicate on the behaviour of players and individuals can leave their competitive instincts on the field of play.

"We have made our feelings known to the ECB, but as far as we are concerned the matter is closed," the statement added.

In 2004, Hampshire finished bottom of the MCC's Spirit of Cricket table, which is based on marks given to the various teams by the umpires at the end of each game.

Warne was given three penalty points under the England and Wales Cricket Board's disciplinary code after being found guilty of using obscene language during a game against Somerset last August.

The leg-spinner was also involved in an on-field altercation with Essex captain Ronnie Irani during a drawn Championship match last year.

Both players were "read the riot act" by umpire Graham Burgess.

"You can't have two captains, both internationals, behaving like that," Burgess said at the time.

The subject of sledging was discussed by Warne in his 2001 autobiography.

He said: "The problem is that if you start sledging without being able to back up your words with performances then it soon loses its effect."

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Ajay Jadeja made a remark last season when Amay Khuraysia complained about sledging, 'There is no place for sissies in cricket'

The same may be said by Warne here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
While sledging is of course a part of cricket and people who chuck the toys outta the pram upon receiving a word or two need to get real, equally it mustn't be allowed to get out of hand like it appears to have here.
And equally bowlers in particular must be careful to avoid hypocrisy a la McGrath\Sarwan.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I find it slightly amusing given the record of the player complaining about the sledging, but maybe Warne did go over the top - I didn't see any of it and am just reading media reports. To me, it sounds a bit like he saying 'we can take it, but don't pick on the young fellas!' - did Warne have a run in with the captain during the game and he's using something said to a younger player as a way of making things public or was the sledging all focused on the young guy to start with?

The English can be a bit touchy, expecially when it comes to saying something on a cricket field. Then again, Warney hasn't exactly got the best record when it comes to this type of thing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
age_master said:
if they cant handle the heat they should get out of the kitchen
So its a shame that the world's greatest bowler appears to have resorted to the immature verbals that appear to be bringing many sports at all levels down, is it not?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
So its a shame that the world's greatest bowler appears to have resorted to the immature verbals that appear to be bringing many sports at all levels down, is it not?

probably, but i dont know what he said, but aparently he only said anything after Prior dug the shoulder into Katich.

Langeveldt

Soutie
age_master said:
probably, but i dont know what he said, but aparently he only said anything after Prior dug the shoulder into Katich.
Fair enough..

I'm very irate at the verbal rubbish that seems to permeate pretty much everything now.. I was speaking to a high ranking hockey official last week who had just walked out on his job because of the total breakdown in respect players had for one another.. I really don't want cricket to turn out like that..

Any bad language from me is totally intrinsic and aimed at spurring me on, I respect my opponent at all times, whoever they are, and that makes me even more determined to make my actions do the talking.. "Mental disintigration" is disgusting imho.. I can take it, but it doesn't mean I can't despise it..

cricketfan

Cricket Spectator
I think this about covers it

Australian captain Ricky Ponting will ask Shane Warne to explain his involvement in a sledging controversy in English county cricket that yesterday prompted the leg spinner to complain that he was "sick and tired of being cast as the villain".

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland yesterday said he would not rule out telephoning Warne in England after the 35-year-old Australian was accused by a rival county captain of going overboard in his sledging of a young batsman.

After Warne had captained Hampshire in a close match against Sussex at Hove last weekend, Sussex captain Chris Adams said he had lost respect for Test cricket's greatest wicket-taker for his on-field treatment of England A wicketkeeper Matt Prior.

"Playing hard on the field is fine by me, but to try to publicly humiliate young players in the opposition is disappointing," Adams told a local newspaper.

Warne responded angrily in London's The Times newspaper, for which he is a paid columnist, accusing Adams of giving a "one-side version of what happened".

Warne said he "wanted to get under Prior's skin" after the 23-year-old Sussex batsman had "chested" Warne's Hampshire and Australian teammate Simon Katich in a mid-pitch collision.

"I thought cricket was a non-contact sport. I was sticking up for my mate and letting Prior know what I thought about his behaviour," Warne said. "I think Adams needs to put his own house in order before he goes complaining to the newspapers.

"It was a really good, hard game of cricket and I was surprised and disappointed that Adams has given a one-sided version of what happened. If he had a problem, he should have been man enough to complain to me in person after the game. And if I was as bad as he suggests, then why didn't the umpires step in and say anything? Merv Kitchen and Ian Gould were excellent and I think they enjoyed a fantastic game, the same as the crowd.

"I do not like getting involved in tit-for-tat, but I am fed up with copping flak about sledging when there are two sides to the story. Hampshire will play hard and tough this season, but we will not make cricket a contact sport. If Adams has lost respect for me, then I can certainly say that whatever respect I had for him has disappeared, too."

Hampshire vice-president Rod Bransgrove has backed Warne and accused Adams of hypocrisy.

Bransgrove said: "We regard his comments as somewhat hypocritical, given the way Chris himself behaved during the match."

Ponting, speaking yesterday at CA's launch of its apparel deal with adidas, said he knew only what he read about the incident.

"I'll probably give Shane a call, actually, and even Simon Katich, too - I believe he might have been involved in it somewhere as well - but just to really find out what happened and went on over there, and then we can make better judgements about it then," he said.

Ponting said he had had no problems with Warne's on-field behaviour in his time as captain, and said the Australian players were committed to upholding The Players' Spirit of Australian Cricket code they wrote and endorsed in 2003. "We've certainly made a very conscious effort over the last couple of years to clean up a little bit on the field … and I think that's working pretty well for us," he said.

Sutherland, meanwhile, said he would continue to scrutinise state contracts under which players were paid additional income for their roles as assistant coaches. Victoria are fighting to retain batsman Matthew Elliott, who wants to take up a playing and coaching offer in South Australia.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Fair enough..

I'm very irate at the verbal rubbish that seems to permeate pretty much everything now.. I was speaking to a high ranking hockey official last week who had just walked out on his job because of the total breakdown in respect players had for one another.. I really don't want cricket to turn out like that..

Any bad language from me is totally intrinsic and aimed at spurring me on, I respect my opponent at all times, whoever they are, and that makes me even more determined to make my actions do the talking.. "Mental disintigration" is disgusting imho.. I can take it, but it doesn't mean I can't despise it..
Over here, if you swear on the hockey field you're in the sinbin for 10 minutes. Same for backchatting the umpire.

Obviously the same rules can't be applied to cricket but penalties could be applied...the only problem is that quite often the umpire won't hear it, and then you'd have players making up stories.

I must say I despise sledging too. If you have to resort to abusing someone to get them out then it says a lot about your skill level. Strange that the Aussies, traditionally known as the worst sledgers, are the ones who least need to do it.

Son Of Coco

Sir Redman said:
Over here, if you swear on the hockey field you're in the sinbin for 10 minutes. Same for backchatting the umpire.

Obviously the same rules can't be applied to cricket but penalties could be applied...the only problem is that quite often the umpire won't hear it, and then you'd have players making up stories.

I must say I despise sledging too. If you have to resort to abusing someone to get them out then it says a lot about your skill level. Strange that the Aussies, traditionally known as the worst sledgers, are the ones who least need to do it.
I think one of the problems with sledging is the number of varying definitions people have for what it actually is. I've always taken sledging to generally mean any form of chat on the field undertaken with the specific intention of putting a player off his game, whether it be humourous or otherwise. I don't consider abuse to come into it at all, although it's sometimes described as 'ferocious sledging'.

With all the different ideas about regarding what it actually entails, it's no wonder so many arguments pop up when sledging is mentioned anywhere. I'm not defending sledging here by they way, just wondering if it's become a term used to describe something more specific than what it actually is.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Son Of Coco said:
I think one of the problems with sledging is the number of varying definitions people have for what it actually is. I've always taken sledging to generally mean any form of chat on the field undertaken with the specific intention of putting a player off his game, whether it be humourous or otherwise. I don't consider abuse to come into it at all, although it's sometimes described as 'ferocious sledging'.

With all the different ideas about regarding what it actually entails, it's no wonder so many arguments pop up when sledging is mentioned anywhere. I'm not defending sledging here by they way, just wondering if it's become a term used to describe something more specific than what it actually is.
I generally think of sledging as abusing a batsman, but I know that definitions vary. Some comments can be intented to put the batsman off without abusing him, and there isn't much wrong with that, as long as there is no personal abuse in it.

For example, there's always been the rumour that when Cairns was batting against Austalia, Ricky Ponting would make train noises as a reference to how Cairns' sister(?) died. Whether this is true (which I think it isn't - I think Cairns has publicly denied it) or not, that kind of thing is absolutely disgusting and has no place in any game.

Son Of Coco

Sir Redman said:
I generally think of sledging as abusing a batsman, but I know that definitions vary. Some comments can be intented to put the batsman off without abusing him, and there isn't much wrong with that, as long as there is no personal abuse in it.

For example, there's always been the rumour that when Cairns was batting against Austalia, Ricky Ponting would make train noises as a reference to how Cairns' sister(?) died. Whether this is true (which I think it isn't - I think Cairns has publicly denied it) or not, that kind of thing is absolutely disgusting and has no place in any game.
I actually heard Steve Waugh's name mentioned in a similar rumour, and that it wasn't true. I agree though that things of a deeply personal nature have no place being mentioned on a sporting field.

Scallywag

Banned
Adams spits the dummy and because he said "Warne" the reporters picked up the story and run with it. Nobody cares what was said because it had the two buzz words for a story in the sports section, and they are "Warne & Sledge" both guaranteed to increase sales and get a response from any other cricketer they can find to interview about the "Warne Adams sledge story". Cant wait for a big story to be exposed, something like "Brett Lee breaks shoelace".

Son Of Coco

Scallywag said:
Adams spits the dummy and because he said "Warne" the reporters picked up the story and run with it. Nobody cares what was said because it had the two buzz words for a story in the sports section, and they are "Warne & Sledge" both guaranteed to increase sales and get a response from any other cricketer they can find to interview about the "Warne Adams sledge story". Cant wait for a big story to be exposed, something like "Brett Lee breaks shoelace".
If it was just a blow-up on Adams behalf and Warne didn't say anything too terrible I'd partially agree with you - I have my doubts that Warney was the only one saying anything. As far as not sledging a young player goes, I'm not sure why they'd be exempt, and if there was an incident between that player and Katich with the young guy being at fault it's understandable that something would be said. It does kind of depend on the extent of the sledging though, if it was deeply personal abuse/offensive then Warne has gone too far (I have no idea what was said so...).

I'd be very surprised to find out that the players from the other team were saints throughout the match, the captain's record prior to this along with the abovementioned incident suggest it went both ways to some extent.

cricketfan

Cricket Spectator
Remeber these classics?

1. Rod Marsh & Ian Botham:
When Botham took guard in an Ashes match, Marsh welcomed him to the wicket with the immortal words:
"So how's your wife & my kids?"

2. Robin Smith & Merv Hughes:
During 1989 Lords Test, Hughes said to Smith after he played &
missed: "You can't f*cking bat".
Smith to Hughes after he smacked him to the boundary: "Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can't f*cking bat & you can't f*cking bowl."

3. Merv Hughes & Javed Miandad:
During 1991 Adelaide Test, Javed called Merv a fat bus conductor.
A few balls latter Merv dismissed Javed: "Tickets please", Merv called out as he ran past the departing batsman.

4. Merv Hughes & Viv Richards:
During a test match in the West Indies, Hughes didn't say a word to Viv, but continued to stare at him after deliveries. "This is my island, my culture. Don't you be staring at me. In my culture we just bowl."
Merv didn't reply, but after he dismissed him he announced to the
batsman: "In my culture we just say f*ck off."

5. Ian Healy & Arjuna Ranatunga
Healy's legendary comment which was picked up by the Channel Nine microphones when Ranatunga called for a runner on a particularly hot night during a one dayer in Sydney... "You don't get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat c*nt!!!"

6. Shane Warne & Daryll Cullinan:
As Cullinan was on his way to the wicket, Warne told him he had been waiting two years for another chance to humiliate him.
"Looks like you spent it eating," Cullinan retorted. (Warnie was a bit chubby there for a while)

7. Glenn McGrath & Eddo Brandes:
After Brandes played & missed at a McGrath delivery, the Aussie bowler politely enquired: "Oi, Brandes, why are you so fat?"
"Cos every time I f*ck your wife she gives me a biscuit," Brandes replied.

8. Ricky Ponting & Shaun Pollock:
After going past the outside edge with a couple of deliveries, Pollock told Ponting: "It's red, round & weighs about 5 ounces."
Unfortunately for Pollock, the next ball was hammered out of the ground. Ponting to Pollock: "You know what it looks like, now go find it."

One other, although not really a sledge.

Merv Hughes was playing for Australia against a South African provincial side during a tour to SA.
Hansie Cronje was facing him on a totally flat deck and belting fours and sixes from every one of Hughes' overs.
After Cronje hit Hughes for six for about the 8th time, Big Merv ran down the pitch, let out a huge phart and said "Try and hit that for six".
It was about 5 minutes before everyone was composed enough to continue the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sir Redman said:
Stump mics with earpieces is the one bit of technology that should be introduced IMO.