• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne in war of words with Adams

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What happened to Afzaal? I remember him playing an ODI versus Aus last time we were over there...not that he looked anything outstanding. I think they're all like that though, people who sledge you are often the first to congratulate you when your doing well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
vic_orthdox said:
What happened to Afzaal? I remember him playing an ODI versus Aus last time we were over there...not that he looked anything outstanding. I think they're all like that though, people who sledge you are often the first to congratulate you when your doing well.
He's still around, looks impressive when he gets a start (didn't last long after his 50 today, mind) but has quite a few ahead of him in the pecking order now. Think part of his trouble is his biggest fan is the guy he sees in his shaving mirror!

IIRC his lass is a big-time Bollywood starlet, but that may just be paper-talk.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
No, he didn't play ODIs... he was one of the many many players over here who were picked for the wrong form of the game. Afzaal should never have got near the Test-side... but he did. He should have been ahead of pretty much everyone to get a shot at ODIs... but he wasn't.
Selectors ain't the smartest people sometimes, particularly when it comes to spotting that the two game-forms are very different.

greg

International Debutant
He got a fifty in the Oval Test, celebrated it like a match-winning century (kissing the ground, badge, the works) and got out hooking a couple of balls later. All this when England were valiantly battling to save the follow-on (they fell about 10-20 short).

Made famous by being the alleged England player observed by john buchanan talking on his mobile getting into a flash car.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And I still find it strains belief that Strauss, Collingwood, Vaughan, Solanki and Prior are considered more worthy of ODI spots than Afzaal... 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In averaging 29 against ODI-standard sides they've been so wonderful, indeed.
And those are likely to go down in the near future, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's happened before, and it will probably happen again.
Please, stop everyone making a deal out of it.